Some nice Ottawa River eaters!

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
CyrusG
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Some nice Ottawa River eaters!

Post by CyrusG »

I waded out to my favorite walleye spot in the city last night, i haven't got skunked there once during the warmer months but some nights you can't seem to find any eyes over 13 inches. During the day the smallies were a little slow but i caught a few 1-2 pounders before i took a break for an hour to set up fire and cook some bbq with the buds, once the sun was right above the trees i knew it was time to get out there. First cast with my suspending jerkbait i twitched it twice and hooked into a beauty 18 inch eye that peeled drag surprisingly, once i got it back on shore it didnt take long before i hooked on another 2 eaters that were around 15-16 inches. That was more than enough to eat for me, so every eye i caught was released after that. There was more than enough 10-16 inch eyes to keep me busy for the next hour before we left!

Cy
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Some nice Ottawa River eaters!

Post by smitty55 »

Good stuff man. Probably the better eaters out of that river. You seem to be doing better off shore that some of the boaters. Way to go.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
OutdoorActionOntario
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant
Location: Ottawa Region, Georgian Bay region, Kawartha Lakes Region

Post by OutdoorActionOntario »

Hope you enjoyed your Ottawa River fish - was it flavorful?

http://www.ottawasun.com/2015/07/06/can ... tawa-river
OutdoorActionOntario - Ottawa ON
Fishoholic
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Fishoholic »

That's old news outdooraction, been happening for years and most serious anglers in Ottawa are well aware. Fish are still safe to consume and it doesn't stop a lot of people from enjoying their catch. The river has a ton of water to dilute it plus it flows so its not just sitting there. Who knows he could have been up river from where it flows in anyways.

Nice fish Lipless, thanks for sharing. You sure know your shore spots!
Walleye'm Fishing
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant
Location: Casting..................... in your NOT SO SECRET spot.

Post by Walleye'm Fishing »

Great eye action from shore, keep it up dude!
Walleye'm fishing, you're sleeping.
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

you sure have the 'eyes dialed in!
OutdoorActionOntario
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant
Location: Ottawa Region, Georgian Bay region, Kawartha Lakes Region

Post by OutdoorActionOntario »

OutdoorActionOntario wrote:Hope you enjoyed your Ottawa River fish - was it flavorful?

http://www.ottawasun.com/2015/07/06/can ... tawa-river

On the off-chance my comment was perceived as an "insult", it was supposed to be a joke. I guess they aren't funny when you have to clarify, so lesson learned...

Sorry dude, but also, nice fish!
OutdoorActionOntario - Ottawa ON
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

:mrgreen: :handgestures-thumbupright:
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

OutdoorActionOntario wrote:

On the off-chance my comment was perceived as an "insult", it was supposed to be a joke. I guess they aren't funny when you have to clarify, so lesson learned...

Sorry dude, but also, nice fish!
You have to be careful with the jokes on FH .... especially when it has to do with consuming fish from the Ottawa River. 8)
BAA - 2016 Team 18 (10 shy of 28)
Renegade Bass - 2013 Team 67 - 2014 Team 28 - 2015 Team 51
BAA (Great organization) 2011 and 2012 Team 7
MichaelGA
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by MichaelGA »

Like I said before on FH... if people only knew what their steaks or chops where raised in they'd be eating a lot more fish!
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

Anyone who has been on here for any length of time knows my stance about Ottawa River water quality below the Quyon dam... BUT

Don't crap on a guys report by criticizing or handing out backhanded veiled ridicule about his choice to eat fish from wherever he gets them.

1 - It is his right, and I support his right.

2 - He is taking the time to post a report for those interested in reading fishing content on this site. We depend on people posting reports.

Criticizing, questioning and ridiculing:
- Where he catches fish
- How he catches fish
- What he does with his fish

Will not be tolerated. Start a new thread if you are that concerned and passionate about the subject.

It is a fishing report, not an invitation to debate.

I, for one, appreciate the time LiplessCrank took, and regularly take, to put himself out there and post a report.

Thank you for the report LiplessCrank, I hope none of this has soured your desire to continue to take time to contribute to the content of Fish Hawk. Your time and content is VERY important to us, and is appreciated.

Craig
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

We used to have a member (Can't remember his username) on F-H that his job was to get and analyze water samples taken from around the region, Ottawa River included. And I had asked him about the above mentioned. And he said that the bacteria that would be found in such sewer overflows doesn't affect the fish meat because it doesn't accumulate in the fish's flesh.

I do not eat as much fish as I used to, mostly because I don't fish for walleyes and crappies as much now, except if i go ice fishing.
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
CyrusG
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by CyrusG »

:lol: :lol:

Thanks guys! I find the walleye upstream from shirleys bay are a lot cleaner than the ones below Victoria island, i wouldn't recommend eating them often to anyone but its been a while since i had a walleye fry, they tasted great!
Cy
Mike586
Participant
Participant

Post by Mike586 »

LiplessCrank wrote::lol: :lol:

Thanks guys! I find the walleye upstream from shirleys bay are a lot cleaner than the ones below Victoria island, i wouldn't recommend eating them often to anyone but its been a while since i had a walleye fry, they tasted great!
They are nice looking fish.

I view fishing the Ottawa River as purely catch and release unless I'm upstream of the Chenneaux dam. That's just my personal comfort level with catching fish on the Ottawa despite what the consumption guides say.
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Nice report!