A Quickie With The Mrs. + Fishing With Two Living Legends!

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Walleye'm Fishing
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant
Location: Casting..................... in your NOT SO SECRET spot.

A Quickie With The Mrs. + Fishing With Two Living Legends!

Post by Walleye'm Fishing »

I recently purchased a new float tube because my old one had a few too many puncture wounds at the seams. It lasted 8 years so I can't really complain... The Mrs and I got out for a quick run to test out my new Caddis float tube and we ended up catching 4 small brookies.

The fish weren't very active during our 90 minute outing but the mosquitos sure were! We fished right until dusk and the bugs had a great time while they feasted on our blood.

My parents were born and raised in the Sudbury area. I was also born there but we moved away when I was 7 years old. Since then, Ottawa has been the place we've called home for 30 years now. With most of our relatives currently residing in Sudbury, this part of the world still feels like home even though I don't visit as often as I should. I have a young family of my own now so getting up there isn't as easy as it used to be.

A long overdue goal for the Mrs. and myself was to visit our Sudbury relatives this summer. We stayed at my aunt's cottage for 6 days so my son and I had a blast catching lots of bass from the dock. Simple fishing did the trick as he used small jigs tipped with worms and the bass kept my son busy all week.

Canada day was another kind of blast with a bunch of fireworks to entertain us.

Then I got to fish with two legendary men who inspired me to love fishing when I was a young boy: My 90 year old grandfather and my uncle. I made fishing plans with both of them prior to arriving in Sudbury because I wanted to make sure that we'd get out and fish together. With life getting busier all the time, I eventually realized that I hadn't gone fishing with my grandfather for over 20 years. I have vivid memories of him taking me fishing at his cottage when I was as young as 5-6 years old. It was a real treat and very inspiring to troll and then jig in the same lake some 20 odd years later with a man who's now 90 years old but still sharp as he was 2-3 decades ago... A true inspiration for me as I can only hope to live that long and be able to go fishing like he still does today.

No fish were boated on this short outing but the fish were not important on this particular evening. Spending an hour with a man who taught me how to fish was all I was after anyways... It was great to listen to his stories about the history of this lake where he was owned a cottage since 1952. Since retiring in 1985, my grandparents have lived at their cottage every year from May to November. The fishing stories of all the great fish that the family caught in this lake over the years were great to hear too. It was an absolute pleasure to fish with my grandfather after all these years and hopefully I'll get to fish with him again soon...

The following morning I had the privilege to fish with another living legend; my uncle who also taught me how to fish and is still an inspiration for me today. He's a logger, a trapper, a hunter, a pilot, and by far the best fisherman I've ever met.

He knows that I love brook trout so he brought me creek fishing for specks deep in the wilderness, where trout dreams are made of. If you look closely you can see my uncle fishing a pool on the right point near the top of the falls.

We traveled over 15 kilometres on various quad trails, stopping to fish the best pools along the way before we arrived at our final destination.

At almost every new spot that we fished, I caught a trout on the very first cast. It was like a dream as the fish were often exactly where they should be. The fact that they were quite aggressive too made for an action packed morning. Small spinners tipped with a worm was what my uncle was using. I used Panther Martin spinners tipped with a worm and often I'd catch fish without even adding a piece of worm at all.

We ended up catching over 60 specks, including 3 double headers.

After a few hours of fishing, we took a break so that my uncle could cook us up a quick shore lunch. Let me tell you, those freshly caught specks dipped in my aunt's home made batter just melt in your mouth.

I enjoyed every moment of this trip with my uncle and I can't wait to return fishing with him in the future.

Sudbury has and always will feel like home. Hopefully I will return sooner than later.
Walleye'm fishing, you're sleeping.
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Re: A Quickie With The Mrs. + Fishing With Two Living Legend

Post by cprince »

LOVE IT!

Eating fish right out of the stream or lake is #1!!!

Great report of "Bunk-ian" proportions!

Thanks for sharing!

Craig
Laker_Taker
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Laker_Taker »

Great report, way to get out there enjoying what nature has to provide with your family! Looked like a nice way to celebrate Canada Day!
Fishoholic
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Fishoholic »

Awesome report Yves, glad ya got out and hooked into some fish. Whatta holiday, family and fish! That's gotta be my favorite way to fish brookies if you are lucky enough to know a spot like that.
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

cprince wrote:Great report of "Bunk-ian" proportions!
Agreed Craig. :lol:

Dooooood!!! I loved this one for too many reasons. Aside from the awesome specking and trekking, I would give my left nut to fish with either of my Grandfathers. To introduce my father's father to it, and to show my mother's father that there still are some giant walleye around for him to reel in. You're a lucky guy to have that, and I wouldn't wait 20 more years if I were you. Your uncle, yeah, he spoiled ya real good! Do that again!!! :lol:

Anyways, good on ya bud. I think your Missus is floating around in a old Browning isn't she? Eight years for a tube is more than one can ask for.
BrookieJunkie
Participant
Participant

Post by BrookieJunkie »

Wow great report. :shock:
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

This is one of the best reports I have read on FH.
BAA - 2016 Team 18 (10 shy of 28)
Renegade Bass - 2013 Team 67 - 2014 Team 28 - 2015 Team 51
BAA (Great organization) 2011 and 2012 Team 7
MichaelGA
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by MichaelGA »

Very cool...

... should be all smiles, ear to ear with a trip like that!
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Loved the report. That "creek" looks like a small river in spots. Wonderful.
I was trying to pick out my favorite pic of the whole shoot, and it was a hard choice, the quality was great. I was leaning towards the creek shot of your uncle fishing the flat between the runs. But I kept bouncing back to the photo of you and gramps backing away from the dock, and that's my pic(k). Loved that he was driving, and how much it must have meant to both of you to get out for a fish on a beauty evening like that. And not a life jacket to be seen. Right on! Tks again for sharing those moments.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
Walleye'm Fishing
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Thanks everyone for the kind comments. :handgestures-thumbup:

This trip meant a lot to me and I'd love to head up to Sudbury once more if I can this year...
smitty55 wrote:Loved the report. That "creek" looks like a small river in spots. Wonderful.
I was trying to pick out my favorite pic of the whole shoot, and it was a hard choice, the quality was great. I was leaning towards the creek shot of your uncle fishing the flat between the runs. But I kept bouncing back to the photo of you and gramps backing away from the dock, and that's my pic(k). Loved that he was driving, and how much it must have meant to both of you to get out for a fish on a beauty evening like that. And not a life jacket to be seen. Right on! Tks again for sharing those moments.

Cheers
Thanks Smitty, I also loved that my grandfather was driving the boat, just like he always did. After all, we were fishing in his boat so I wouldn't have it any other way...
Moosebunk wrote:
cprince wrote:Great report of "Bunk-ian" proportions!
Agreed Craig. :lol:

Dooooood!!! I loved this one for too many reasons. Aside from the awesome specking and trekking, I would give my left nut to fish with either of my Grandfathers. To introduce my father's father to it, and to show my mother's father that there still are some giant walleye around for him to reel in. You're a lucky guy to have that, and I wouldn't wait 20 more years if I were you. Your uncle, yeah, he spoiled ya real good! Do that again!!! :lol:

Anyways, good on ya bud. I think your Missus is floating around in a old Browning isn't she? Eight years for a tube is more than one can ask for.
Thanks Bunk, fishing with my grandfather once again after all these years was something else for sure. I gotta do that again ASAP. And yes, my uncle spoiled me rotten and I will definitely do that again as well. Next spring is my turn to guide him in my backyard as we'll head up to QC for some giant specks and maybe even lakers too. Until then, hopefully he can make a trip to Ottawa sometime this fall for some night eyes from shore...

And the Mrs. was fishing is my old Gunnison tube that is also 8 years old and still kicking. My new Caddis tube has me sitting higher in the water so I'm liking that.
bradford2
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bradford2 »

Great report! Lots of adventure, family and fish. You may be the only people out there with his and hers float tubes.

I see no pics were posted of the 'Quickie With The Mrs.' though. Probably a good idea on that one :lol:
CyrusG
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by CyrusG »

Nothing feels better than creek fishing, i'm getting hooked on it the last few times i went out. Beauty brookies.
Cy
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Now this I like, alot.

Great stuff.

RJ
Lvace
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Lvace »

Awesome report Yves!! Thank you for sharing !!!!!
Walleye'm Fishing
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Thanks again guys!

Lipless, I couldn't agree more with you! Creek fishing is something very special for sure! I can't get enough of it...