Crotch Lake

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
yaknut
Participant
Participant

Crotch Lake

Post by yaknut »

Going to be fishing Crotch Lake in mid-July and expect to be in that area for about a week. Looking for information on the smallies in that lake; specifically, best baits, best techniques and any info on general areas of the lake to fish.
Yakster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Crotch Lake

Post by Yakster »

Just finished a week there...site 33.
better fishing was in the north end either bay by the ramp.
no records but a bunch of 3-4 pounders, and a handful of pike...no walleye.

Most importantly the kids had a blast!
SENCO'S Texas rigged, purple with black fleck and brown and black fleck.
Rapala search bait...tiger.
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

Fishing the river coming out of Crotch you'd be surprised to know that a 3-4 inch black twister tail has rocked me more fish than imaginable. Same with a Mepps Aglia #5 in the lake. That was back in the day before Senkos, Jackalls or anyone even dropshotting anything really. :lol:
yaknut
Participant
Participant

Post by yaknut »

Yakster,
Thanks for the reply. How were you fishing the Senkos? (Wacky rigged, etc?) How deep? I'm assuming that the fish that you referred too were smallies. We will be staying at Land O Lakes Lodge. Did you try fishing in that area?
yaknut
Participant
Participant

Post by yaknut »

Thanks for the info Moosebunk,
What is a jackall? Any chance of catching Walleye this time of year or are they too deep? (I am fishing out of a kayak and typically do not fish real deep). I'm going to check my gear and see if I can dig up a large Mepps spinner. Don't know if I have a #5.
Yakster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Yakster »

Texas rig, less than 10 feet. Our site was near the lodge....North end of the lake was producing better just like Moonshine was saying.
water is very high there right now but well marked.....for the most part
yaknut
Participant
Participant

Post by yaknut »

Yakster-North end of the lake looks like a haul. How far north did you fish? I'm looking at a lake map now and looks like it is about 9-10K (From campsite 33) to the northernmost point (South Bush Road). Sorry to be a pest but trying to optimize where we fish.
Yakster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Yakster »

Silly me...forgot you were on the paddle....the lodge rents boats with motors eh!...;)
Try Fawn Lake, off the south end, should be able to get some nice largies out of there and the paddle in is not that bad.
yaknut
Participant
Participant

Post by yaknut »

Yakster,
I see Fawn lake on the campsite map. Might be doable for us as we have Hobies and are paddling vice paddling. The campsite map that I have shows Fawn Lake surrounded by wetlands. I'm not sure exactly what is meant by wetlands. Is that an area we could peddle through? That is, how shallow would it be? Is there a topo map of Crotch Lake available? I've been looking but without success. Also we are considering loading up the boats and heading to the ramp on the north side of the lake or maybe even hitting another lake nearby. Any thoughts on that prospect? Thanks, again for your help.
MrSimon
Participant
Participant

Post by MrSimon »

I fished Crotch lake of out Land o Lakes Lodge a few years back.

We found the northern end of the lake (up through the narrows) to be significantly better for smallies. Up there we found miles and miles of rocky shoreline with boulders and other excellent structure. We did really well with topwater poppers, Senkos, and spinners.

I'm sure there are fish in the southern end of the lake too, but we preferred the north.

We did not do very well on pike or walleye.
Yakster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Yakster »

Only map i found for crotch is Yahoo....its as good as you'll get.
fawn is tough to get in by boat but with how high the water is this year would be easier than last.
north is better but south might be a good alternative an within paddle distance.

My navionics maps that i made with thd t box is so so....tried to cover too much area with it.