Gar. How should I set the hook and other questions?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Peron
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Gar. How should I set the hook and other questions?

Post by Peron »

I have seen gar on the Ottawa and I think I will try to catch one this weekend since I have never had one.. I will be out early am 6-9 and I was planning on using a smaller shallow running floating Minnow plug (rapala) which I saw recommended once somewhere. I have read lots about the difficulty in setting the hook but I cannot find specifics for lures. Lots about the live bait approach and the rope lures but not much about others.

Question: What is the best set... Given what I read I am torn between a really hard set because of their hard "beak" and a more gentle steady set so I don't yank it right out of their mouth. What should work best?

Related question... Am I wasting my time with a lure? Also, I have read about night fishing for gar. Will they bite during the day? Also, will they be shallow in this weather ( which is where I have seen them)?

Sorry for all the questions but I think going out and winging it is not going to work with these fish by the sounds of it.

Thanks,

Rod
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Gar. How should I set the hook and other questions?

Post by RJ »

They will hit anything that is presented to them properly in daylight, night time fishing sounds like the use of swallow rigs from what I've heard.. Upgrade your hooks and ram em home.

RJ
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

I have just recently gotten into Gar so take that into account when you read my recommendations. Also I have only fished for them at night.

I have heard that minnow style lures with three trebles are best. Recommend that you replace the factory hooks with sharper hooks. I have never caught one on a lure.

I have had most luck on a chuck of cut bait with the treble buried inside.

They take minnow readily but you need to let them run and swallow when they stop and turn the fish. I also add a stinger hook to increase the odds and have had some success with this.

You can also experiment with rope lures (google it) if you have time and want to risk playing with the fish to get the threads out. I have made some but have not had the opportunity to use on yet.

My hook percentage on these guys is about 1 in 4 so keep at it, frustrating, but don't give up!
Peron
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Peron »

I will go with a minnow lure and slam the trebles home (theoretically that is).

New question: I have only seen the gar in full sun? Is that my vision or do they change behaviour based on the weather? Trying to pick the best day for catching one (Saturday clouds and rain, Sunday full sun and really hot). Most gar sites are based on the southern versions which obviously like heat.

Thanks,

Rod
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

You need Sun. Yesterday was great!

RJ
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

zippyfx wrote:You can also experiment with rope lures (google it) if you have time and want to risk playing with the fish to get the threads out. I have made some but have not had the opportunity to use on yet.
As far as know rope lures are illegal. The lure must have a hook.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

I don't use rope but I've yet to see somewhere in the regs that anything needs to have a hook to be legal.

RJ
Daboss
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Daboss »

Damn right I'm good in the sack...I can sleep for hours!
fishron
Participant
Participant

Post by fishron »

The trick with catching gar is using women's nylon stockings. Cut small strips of the nylon stockings and tie them securely around the shaft of as many treble hooks your lure has. When the gat hits the nylon will snag his teeth and the battle is on. Be careful unraveling the nylon....those teeth are sharp.
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

RJ wrote:I don't use rope but I've yet to see somewhere in the regs that anything needs to have a hook to be legal. RJ
I've seen it mentioned here and elsewhere before, but I haven't looked it up myself. Something about legal angling needs to use a line and hook, and it is illegal to "Take fish by any means other than angling, spear, bow and arrow, net or bait fish trap."

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

And then there's this from Todd B.
"While the "rope" lures are technically legal in Ontario, if you happen to break off, the gar is as good as dead as the rope lure will be permanently tangled in its mouth. A number of us prefer to use bunny strip lures with a #10 treble (de-barbed) well back. The thin diameter of the wire will even penetrate bone, giving you a decent chance of landing them."

Like many things when it comes to regulations, it's always best to get the answer from the authorities. Maybe I'll try the "Ask a CO".
edit: seems like it's not available anymore.
Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
fishron
Participant
Participant

Post by fishron »

I don't see where there is a great danger to the fish or an illegality in using the nylon method. If you were to replace the nylon with fly-rod strips of pork rind you wouldn't lose much of the catching ability of the lure. I don't think many folks would want to kill and eat a gar. It's just a method of catching a fish with a different set of dentures.
Peron
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Peron »

So I had no luck (of any kind) when I went out for Gar a month ago but the conditions were not great. I then got distracted by my saltwater trip but I think I will give it a go again. Thanks for all the pointers and I have done more research so I think my technique should work (small rapala, new hooks, think I will avoid the nylon/rope for now, and a good, hard set).

Final question: Fishing the Ottawa River (probably Shirleys Bay), do the Gar bite consistently through the summer? Is there a strong fall bite (like Pike/Musky) or do they shut down?

Thanks again!

Rod