Bowfishing

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
SpunGold
Participant
Participant

Bowfishing

Post by SpunGold »

Does anyone in the NCR go bowfishing? I've recently equipped myself with an AMS reel on my PSE compound, but being new to fishing in the region, I am not sure where to go with this thing.
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Re: Bowfishing

Post by Wallyboss »

Not sure if it's legal in Ontario? Might want to look into that.

Or it's legal just for some certain fish. Check here on page 11

http://www.ontario.ca/document/2015-ont ... ns-summary click on download and check on Page 11.
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
Eli
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Eli »

What do you do with the fish you bowshoot?
bradford2
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bradford2 »

This will be a touchy subject here, so be prepared for that :lol:

As far as I know it's mostly a carp thing around here, and lots of guys do it. Here's a great article OOD put out.

http://www.oodmag.com/fishing/extend-yo ... owfishing/

Good luck!
SpunGold
Participant
Participant

Post by SpunGold »

Eli wrote:What do you do with the fish you bowshoot?

I eat them, or I use them for bear bait in the fall, depending on what I shoot. In Quebec, most fish are legal to shoot. (Musky, salmon and sturgeon are illegal though)

I'm not big on senseless maiming and killing of animals, hence, you won't find pictures of me with 50 carp that got left to rot.
banjo
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by banjo »

It is definitely legal in Ontario. It is in the Regs, page 11. The article that Bradford posted has lots of good info. For sure you do need a fishing licence. You don't need a firearms licence for a bow, but if you have one it won't hurt to carry it since not all police know all the laws. In regards to discharging a bow, in the eyes of the law and most cities and towns, it is considered a firearm.
For Ottawa http://ottawa.ca/en/residents/laws-lice ... o-2002-344 It is very good to know this, because people will call the police when they see someone with a bow, and there are lots of places that you cannot discharge a bow. And even in places where you are allowed... alway expect a visit from "concerned" citizens, or even the police checking out what you are doing.
Other than that, aim low and have fun. :D