Go Small or Go Home

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Go Small or Go Home

Post by zippyfx »

I had a couple of hours this morning and went to a local spot to wet a line before work. Nothings seemed to be biting except panfish so I changed things up and started targeting some micros I saw cruising the shallows. I rigged up a #20 zebra midge tipped with a bit of worm.

I caught a number of juvenille bucket mouths:

I caught a number of small Pumpkinseed:

I also managed to catch this small rockbass which is interesting because it is still very small but seems to have lost it's juvenile pattern (I had caught a substantially bigger rock bass earlier this week which still had it's juvenile pattern):

I caught this nice small logperch:

There were small fish around but I did not have my Tanago Hooks with me.

It's neat catching the smaller guys every now and again. My 5 year old howls every time I catch a "big one" when I am targeting micros. It's also challenging to target the ones you want and avoid the hyper aggressive juvenile panfish.
Last edited by zippyfx on Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oneeleven
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Go Small or Go Home

Post by Oneeleven »

Thanks for the super-cool report. 8) This facinates me. Gotta try me some micro-fishing sometime!
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

Thanks Tia.... It takes patience but it can be very interesting if your interested in examining minnows and smaller species.

Here is one I caught today juvenile smallmouth bass:

I was trying get some more logperch but these guys were hyper aggressive.
CNs
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by CNs »

What is a logperch?
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

See the last 2 pictures in my original post. It's a small fish in the family of Perch/Walleye (Percidae). They look a like a more tubular perch with darker banding. They can get up to 8 inches long.
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

:handgestures-thumbupright:
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
Peron
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Peron »

Caught a 4 inch pike on a 4 inch spinnerbait. two weekends ago. Flipped off just before I took the shot but I always find baby pike to be one of the most cool miniature fish. They are absolute replicas of adult pike. Anyone know if they ever look like a baby fish instead of a miniature adult?

Rod
Fishing Rod
Participant
Participant

Post by Fishing Rod »

Show us the tackle!
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

Peron wrote:Caught a 4 inch pike on a 4 inch spinnerbait. two weekends ago. Flipped off just before I took the shot but I always find baby pike to be one of the most cool miniature fish. They are absolute replicas of adult pike. Anyone know if they ever look like a baby fish instead of a miniature adult?

Rod
Juvenile pike look like miniature pike from the pictures I have seen. Most juveniles look like mini adults. The only exception I know (and I am not an expert here) are flounders which transform and go flat (saltwater).
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

Fishing Rod wrote:Show us the tackle!
I use an UL rod to cast. I find it easier to set the hook than stiffer rods. I don;t cast perse as the weight is too lite. I end up pulling out as much slack as I need and flinging it towards my target (a crude form of fly fishing). You can get a Tango rod but they can be pricey. Some people will use an ice fishing rod.

I use two types of hooks. weighted flies in the #20 & #22 size, tipped with a very small piece of worm. This is my go to as I do not have to add an weight. you can find some locally at the Green Drake.

They can be seen here: http://www.basspro.com/Zebra-Midge-Flie ... /10211801/

I have had some luck with Tanago hooks (hooks designed for very small fish) with some of the smallest split shot you can find: http://www.tenkarabum.com/micro-fishing-hooks.html

A general discussion on micro fishing can be found here: http://www.tenkarabum.com/micro-fishing.html

I find that presentation is key. Some fish prefer certain areas in the water column and current. Some will only hit a bait that is still others will only hit something that is either being pulled gently or drifting.

A Japanese goal is to get a fish that fits onto a 1 yen coin which in 3/4 of inch across.

Joco was trying to get a tenkara outing earlier this year but it never got pulled together.
joco01
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by joco01 »

Great report!

We have a lot to lurne frome small fish!

Microfishing is a cool way yo lurne,,,,,to brings kids into fishing and lurning,,witout a huge equipemeng and cost,,,some back creek or even urban pond,,creeks etc hold cool lityle specimen,,wish we simply pass by ...

Wen younger we use to use seen neg to catch minnow in creek and lake,,,its. Net about 12 feet long by 3 feet high,,,one guy at each end and pull until you get to shore,,,,,,,,,,but wow,,,,so many species of small fish frome baby pike or bay perch etc,,,,cool to see.. And lurne! Good thing we dont do this anymore taugh!

Joco
joco01
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by joco01 »

Aout the tenkara outhing!

Even me i did not go one yet,,,,but made my own using those telescopic rods,,,,,but took of the big piece,,so no more big handle and weight a simple 6 feet rod,,,,fun to use!

But yes its been years since i am supose to get tru tenkara rods,,,and still looking,,,so many newone coming out every weeks now!

But peoples pls,,,,dont have to spend a fortune,,the rod i made. Are with telescopic crappy fishing,,,,for mabe 10$',,,,and now at dollarama,,they have a very cute mini floater kit,,,that work great,,,or ven better make your own float! Wen you use 2 pound or even down to 1/2 pound test,,you dont need mutch!

Have fun and lurne
Lvace
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Lvace »

Not sure how I missed this one but thank you for sharing!!!! Always interesting to see the micros!! Tell you a lot about the food chain and depending on the body of water what lures/colours to use!! Great report :D
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

Those are crazy tiny -- every now and then I'll get a micro sized perch , sunfish or bass. Seems the most common tiny aggressor is the perch. I agree that micro pike are cool...they're cute but still insane like the bigger toothies.

Thanks for a fun report.

W.
Thanks, Dad, for taking me fishing when I was a kid.