Kawartha Lakes Bass/Walleye Update!

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Slayingm
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Kawartha Lakes Bass/Walleye Update!

Post by Slayingm »

Fishing success on my guide trips have been producing great catches of both Walleye and Bass the past few weeks. The water temps and weed growth is up and the fish are setup and biting! Although we have caught lots of Walleye on Jerkbaits and crankbaits the most productive pattern remains jigging the points and inside turns of deep weedlines.... especially those close to a hard bottom. Both minnow style and plastic grubs on 1/4oz heads in natural colours are producing well. We are also starting to find Walleye schooled up on deep rock shoals now with both grubs and dropshot rigs working well. On a recent trip this young lad fishing with his Mom caught his 1st Walleye ever.... he then proceeded to land many more that day along with some smallmouth bass.... I just love getting kids out and teaching them how to fish.
We have been getting a good mix of different size classes on various Kawartha lakes.

Smallmouth bass action has also been hot with tube jigs, dropshots and jerkbaits accounting for great catches. I have really been impressed with Rapala's new Shadow Rap.....no matter how hard you jerk it it runs true and the side to side action in incredible and generates so many hits. Here is one of my customers with his personal best 5.5lb Smallie caught on the deep diving Shadow Rap.
The lure has also contributed to some great finishes on tournaments so far this year. I concentrate on Rock/weed areas and rock shoals in the 4 to 12ft depths.

See you on the water.....
Stay safe and Good Fish'n!.... Greg.
Kerrazy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Kawartha Lakes Bass/Walleye Update!

Post by Kerrazy »

Great report!
Kerrazy

"Everyone should believe in something. I believe I'll Go Fishing!"- Thoreau
I'd like to thank my sponsors:
Interac - Be in the Black
Jerry, my neighbour, who foolishly leaves his shed and truck open, so I can try all the latest gear!
ipjrobson
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by ipjrobson »

It's been a while since I fished in the Kawarthas. It's a great area for fishing. I'll have to get back there sometime
drake691
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by drake691 »

I fish in the Kawarthas 3 times a week :lol:
kliven
Participant
Participant

Post by kliven »

Those are some chunky fish! What colours of the Shadow rap were working well? I've got one in clown, and its working well, but I'm looking to to grab a few more!
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Good stuff Greg. Thanks for actually sharing what is working to put fish in the boat, that helps.

RJ
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

Great report! :D
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/