Heads up around the Madawaska (Theft)

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
The Don
Participant
Participant

Heads up around the Madawaska (Theft)

Post by The Don »

Guys, just a heads up, if you're fishing around the Madawaska..My boys went out Monday evening for a quick fish and they launched from the Baskins Dr launch (Concession 13) ..had a quick fish and when they returned at 8;30pm some turd had stolen our spare trailer tire, the mount and my trailer jack as well...I can see some moron stealing the spare tire and mount I guess if you're that type of slime ball ..
.BUT really the trailer jack too ?? I've never heard of that...
How is a guy suppose to un hook the dam trailer once he gets home..??....Anyhow I have been scouring the kijji and used Ottawa sites etc but no luck..The OPP took the report but added this is the first one they are aware of...
Its a good thing the trailer was locked onto the ball or for sure the turd would have stolen the whole boat trailer.,
Anyhow needless to say keep your stuff well locked up if you're going to the madawaska...

PS. if there's an older guy about 60 yrs of age, balding with a large pot belly driving a grey/tan SUV around when you launch, you might want to keep an eye on him..He didn't have a boat or any fishing gear and was just hanging around ...

Take care....Don...
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Heads up around the Madawaska (Theft)

Post by smitty55 »

Bummer man. I fkin hate those lowlife scumbag thieves who would steal from a guy like that. I'd bet it wasn't his first time either, the dirty bugger. But scum like that can surface anywhere unfortunately, they will always be a sad part of society.

Good luck with it, and thanks for the heads up.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
Dinger
Participant
Participant

Post by Dinger »

Thanks for the heads up.
I fish there quite often, but out of Clay Bank usually.
My 2 wheel drive Ranger can't get my boat out of the Baskin launch.
But the town has a plan to improve it though.

Off to buy some locks for my hitch and trailer today...

Thx
Don
The Don
Participant
Participant

Post by The Don »

Guys one other thing I forgot to mention ,,,Whoever this turd is..He was looking to swipe something and had the tools with him...My spare tire holder was on pretty good and was double bolted so they would not come loose...

Anyone have any suggestions on how to lock on a trailer jack ?? I really dont want to get it welded as the trailer is galvanized and powder coated ?? I was thinking of one of those bike "U" type locks, and lock the jack arm to the trailer frame when it's in the upright position..

Thanks...Don
Dinger
Participant
Participant

Post by Dinger »

I hear you about not wanting to weld, but that's my default position on many things mechanical.
If it can be done properly it'll be fool proof. My jack is welded to my trailer.

My son, who is my fishing companion on most trips, hates thieves, speedboaters and jet skiers...not necessarily in that order. He's been agitating for me to mount a 50 calibre Browning machine gun on the bow....but I'm sure he's just joking...
Cheers
Dinger
Oneeleven
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Oneeleven »

Sucks to hear! I'm sorry that happened to you!
Troutskiii
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Troutskiii »

If its a tongue jack on your trailer with large U-bolts holding it on just put a tack weld on each nut that way it can't be unbolted. We had to do this exact thing at work, came in after a long weekend and 10-12 of the work trucks were missing there backracks, quick tack weld fixed the thieving issue.
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

That's a great idea.

Keep in mind that no matter what you do, thieves will figure out a way to take what they want. All you are doing is slowing them down from taking what they want.

Tack welds on the bolts would mean they could still cut the u bolt, but at least it would slow them down to the point where someone would more than likely notice it.
CNs
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by CNs »

Dinger wrote:I hear you about not wanting to weld, but that's my default position on many things mechanical.
If it can be done properly it'll be fool proof. My jack is welded to my trailer.

My son, who is my fishing companion on most trips, hates thieves, speedboaters and jet skiers...not necessarily in that order. He's been agitating for me to mount a 50 calibre Browning machine gun on the bow....but I'm sure he's just joking...
Cheers
Dinger
50 al may be a bit overkill and would hurt the holeshot. But maybe something in a smaller calibre but with enough stopping power......
Troutskiii
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Troutskiii »

lape0019 wrote:That's a great idea.

Keep in mind that no matter what you do, thieves will figure out a way to take what they want. All you are doing is slowing them down from taking what they want.

Tack welds on the bolts would mean they could still cut the u bolt, but at least it would slow them down to the point where someone would more than likely notice it.

Would be hard to cut the u-bolts unless they had a 20v grinder, to close to the frame to use bolt cutters or at least mine is. Tack welds would be your best bet, will prevent theft 99% of the time.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

This whole situation sucks. Having to tack weld your trailer jack is a sad state.

RJ