Sunday fun day on the good ole Mississippi

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Sunday fun day on the good ole Mississippi

Post by almontefisher »

Well I got up early today with the plan in my head to catch as much fish as we could. I had the pleasure of having three generations of slowlegs family in my boat. His son himself and his dad. I felt the pressure to produce as slowlegs father and him just got back from Hong Kong and his dad has never fished this area before. So the plan was to meet at the launch for 9:00am and head out till around 2. So I get up around 6 and it looks dark and gloomy out like it is going to rain. Well that will suck if it does. Oh well no sense in dwelling about it. Let's get the boat. So off I went to get the boat only to find from the storm we had that that path to the boat was blocked by a tree. Go get the chainsaw and 25 minutes later I can get the boat. But first a quick stop at the garden for some things to give slowleg and his family. Just in case we get skunked. Lol. Finish picking the veggies and herbs and pile the wood and it is almost 9am. Shoot. I'm going to be late. Off I go and make it to the launch 3 minutes late. I get out of the jeep and say hi to slowleg again and greet his son and father. Let me tell you this man is an amazing person who I really enjoyed spending the day with. So we cruise to the first spot to try and I set my trolling motor into the water and the remote pedal doesn't do anything. WTF. this is a month old. Change batteries in it and still nothing. Well fudge my brand new trolling motor is not working. That will make my game plan more difficult. Good thing I can think on my feet so plan b was put into play which was find a spot. Drift. Run back to the start and drift again. So first fish of the day was by slowlegs dad who by the way never once used a rod but did it the way he has done for decades. Hand lined all day long. His first fish from Mississippi. Now I can relax a bit. Fished a few bays and weed stretches until the red of my arms told me it was time to go. We caught 14-15 good size bass and I managed about 4-5 pike as well. One heck of a great day on the water. Here are some pics of slowleg and his family.

Again I just want to say what an honour and privilege it was to fish with such a great man. It would me my pleasure to take you out any time.

This is the great man I spoke of. He is used to fishing the sea hand lining so I am sure he is a wealth of fishing knowledge.

On a side note I was very surprised to see such a lack of weeds. The main weed bed by grasshopper point was not even 200ft out. I was in so close I could almost hit shore and no big weed bed slop anywhere. Anyone else notice this??
Fishing isn't a matter of life and death....
It's much more important.

ORWL
Troller
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Sunday fun day on the good ole Mississippi

Post by Troller »

Nice work Pete. I was out there this morning too. I was up there at the cottage for the last week:-) 6 pb bass caught on my boat for lads I took out this wek. Yep noticing lack of weeds this season.
Good on you for taking some fellas out Pete.
Cheers,
Dave
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

I was around your place this morning too. I started the day pretty much right there.
Fishing isn't a matter of life and death....
It's much more important.

ORWL
Troller
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Troller »

I headed out around 6:15 and came back to the cottage at 8:30. I had to head home this morning.
Pretty decent outing for me too :wink:
NMG
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by NMG »

I haven't been out to the Mississippi this year yet, but I was on the Rideau last weekend and I sure thought that there were far fewer weeds than I recall seeing in years past at this time.

Great fish and great job taking those fine folks out!
Lvace
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Lvace »

some nice bassin!!
Oneeleven
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Oneeleven »

Looks like a fun day and you guys looked to have done really well considering the unsettled weather front.

I miss the Miss! I've got to get out and start pre-fishing for the Pro-Am soon!
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

Great trip report thanks for sharing.
slowleg
Participant
Participant

Post by slowleg »

@almontefisher Thanks again for taking us on your boat Peter! We had a great time out on the lake with such a wonderful and welcoming host. The homegrown veggies were also a beautiful addition to go alongside the delightful fish on the dinner table last night. Papa Slowleg said he was very excited to catch his first bass on the Mississippi and Slowleg Jr. really enjoyed the experience of fishing on a such a nice boat. Although a little burnt at the end of the day, we couldn't ask for a better day out on the water.

Ted
ipjrobson
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by ipjrobson »

It's always important to have that plan b eh.

Glad everyone had a great time.
Dore
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Dore »

Nice report Pete !

Good on ya for taking a group out fishing :D
|Dore|