Wolfe Lake, Westport

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Harpee61
Participant
Participant

Wolfe Lake, Westport

Post by Harpee61 »

Hey everybody
I'm heading for a week at a cottage we've rented on Wolfe lake. I did a bit of research and found that it apparently used to be a good walleye spot but has declined. It also appears that is has a fair population of SM and pike. I've never fished for walleye but I'd love to try and I'm looking forward to finally trying dropshotting for bass. It's a pretty big lake and apparently very clear. I'll be in a canoe with a trolling motor so somewhat mobile. Any advice from anyone who's been there or what I should try for walleye would be much appreciated. I'll be using a Dobyns 734 and a GLoomis GL2 (jig and worm) for bait casting and a St-Croix Mojo Bass for spinning. And I'm still hoping to get my hands on a Fish-hawk hat before going but Oziles too far fro me.!
Thanks. H
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Re: Wolfe Lake, Westport

Post by almontefisher »

Try sending a message to Wolfe. She has a cottage on that lake. She could help you out for sure. I will let her know you have inquired.
Fishing isn't a matter of life and death....
It's much more important.

ORWL
Oneeleven
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Oneeleven »

And re the hat: PM RJ. He is out towards the direction your heading for the cottage. Maybe you'd be able to meet up? :D
Cyber
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Cyber »

Not sure where you're leaving from, but if it's anywhere in the Ottawa area it certainly
wouldn't be much out of your way to stop by Bennett's in Smiths Falls on your way to
Westport and Wolfe Lake. :wink: (it's on Hwy #15 heading out of town towards Kingston)
Not only a place for a Fish-Hawk hat, but also a damn fine bait & tackle shop!! :D

As for fishing Wolfe, try to find some holes and mid-lake humps in the northeast corner
of the lake, you should find some Waldos, go early in the A.M. or late evening. 8)
Lots of Bass for sure, and some BIG Pike that I'm not sure I'd want to hook into if I was in a canoe. :shock: :shock:
If you don't stand for something,
you'll fall for anything!!
Harpee61
Participant
Participant

Post by Harpee61 »

Thanks a lot guys! I've pm'ed Wolfe and will certainly hit Bennett's on the way, though I'm sure I'll get out of there with much more the $20 spent...And thanks Cyber, I'll be looking for those pikes. At least that's a fishing I know about and I'll take my chances with the canoe. Anything for a PB!
Much appreciated
Sir Lumbo
Participant
Participant

Post by Sir Lumbo »

great lake, went there once had a blast.

Pike walleye bass all diff lures lit up all day,

Enjoy!
fishron
Participant
Participant

Post by fishron »

Used to be a good walleye lake is a misnomer. Wolfe is and has always been the premier walleye lake in southern Ontario. It has the perfect structure for shoal spawning walleye on a lake that has never needed to be stocked.
In any lake in the pressured southern Ontario area the walleye can be difficult to catch, especially in the gin clear waters of Wolfe. Under the right conditions of wind and cloud cover it has equaled any remote walleye lake I have fished.
We haven't gotten great numbers on our latest trips due to unfavorable conditions, but the size has been improving. Jig and a worm in 22-26ft in low light is the way to go.
Good Luck