First time at Petrie - 33C and skunked

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
daveh_cdn
Participant
Participant

First time at Petrie - 33C and skunked

Post by daveh_cdn »

HOT day out yesterday so we escaped to the beach. :oops:

I had never been to Petrie island before so I decided that I would throw my rod in the trunk and see what the place was like. In between sun tanning and swimming (and eating chips) I took a walk around to see what the fishing was like. I saw the Basswood trail which was labelled for anglers. There's a nice little dock there too to put a canoe in which I think I'll do next time.

I fished / sweated from a few spots along the Basswood trail. I usually fish in the Rideau River in Ottawa where I prefer a wacky rigged senko. The swampiness :lol: of the water off the basswood trail looked too much for that setup so I used a weighted texas rigged Berkeley Havoc Grass Pig 5" (the only swimbaits I have). I caught a Walleye in the Rideau on that setup the other day so I thought it might be worth trying.

After no success with that I tried a hollow body top water frog that I have. No luck with that guy either. I have never had any action with that guy. I wonder if my presentation is bad? Normally I just throw it out there near some weeds / pads and let it sit for a few seconds. Then I jerk it in a few times, let it coast a bit, repeat.

What would you guys suggest for me for the next time I'm out there (besides not going during the afternoon during a heat wave)?
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Re: First time at Petrie - 33C and skunked

Post by Bass Addict »

We often fish the hottest time of the day for Bass.....= on Fiyaaaah !!
There will be an influx of Great Grey Owls in the winter of 2017
PòóF
Participant
Participant

Post by PòóF »

daveh_cdn wrote:HOT day out yesterday so we escaped to the beach. :oops:

I had never been to Petrie island before so I decided that I would throw my rod in the trunk and see what the place was like. In between sun tanning and swimming (and eating chips) I took a walk around to see what the fishing was like. I saw the Basswood trail which was labelled for anglers. There's a nice little dock there too to put a canoe in which I think I'll do next time.

I fished / sweated from a few spots along the Basswood trail. I usually fish in the Rideau River in Ottawa where I prefer a wacky rigged senko. The swampiness :lol: of the water off the basswood trail looked too much for that setup so I used a weighted texas rigged Berkeley Havoc Grass Pig 5" (the only swimbaits I have). I caught a Walleye in the Rideau on that setup the other day so I thought it might be worth trying.

After no success with that I tried a hollow body top water frog that I have. No luck with that guy either. I have never had any action with that guy. I wonder if my presentation is bad? Normally I just throw it out there near some weeds / pads and let it sit for a few seconds. Then I jerk it in a few times, let it coast a bit, repeat.

What would you guys suggest for me for the next time I'm out there (besides not going during the afternoon during a heat wave)?

Hey bud, Petrie is where I do 90% of my shore fishing and I usually catch them on Spinnerbait black/blue skirt works like a charm there, Flipping jig, Texas rigged Senko, a Frog, and the occasional drop shot rig when I convince myself to try it again. I actually caught my biggest bass right on that basswood trail on a day just as hot as yesterday. There is a great spot for frogs there if you go passed the Dock and follow the trail to the little wooden bridge and instead of going across the bridge make a a right and Treck a bit through the Grass and you should see the Large amounts of Pads... that's generally where I start my day! I try to be a little sporadic with my frog until I find a retrieve that works and go from there. I've only been addicted to this sport for 3 years so I don't really know as much as some of these other gentlemen but I figured I'd throw in my 2 cents since I go there every chance I get. Good luck!
ipjrobson
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by ipjrobson »

Sorry to hear that you got skunked. I had a night like that the other day. It's no fun but it's the way it goes sometimes
Dore
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Dore »

Use to fish Petrie like everyday. VERY good fishery.....

caught many huge bass, walleye and pike from that area.

Good times for sure

Keep fishing it and dont loose hope as the Ottawa R is very weird some days are ON and you back the same evening and its completely OFF !

Good luck and most of all have fun !
|Dore|
joco01
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by joco01 »

Love petrie in a yak,,,,fish all those back bays and channels,,,all species is there!

But ey its fishing,,,,