New to ottawa east

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Mr.T
Participant
Participant

New to ottawa east

Post by Mr.T »

Hello everyone :D

I'm new to the ottawa area and live in Vars (near Russell) we fished today in Russell (near the dam) and managed to catch some pan fish. Previously to this we would catch pike and walleye but we are without a boat. As a result we are now fishing from shore. Does anyone know anywhere close (within a 30 minute drive) where we can get some good shore fishing in? We'd like to catch pike, walleye or largemouth bass.
76brian
Participant
Participant

Re: New to ottawa east

Post by 76brian »

I'm in the same area as you. I've had good luck shore fishing at the boat launch in Kars (the one right on the Rideau). It's a bit of a drive but not bad, within your 30 minute limit I think. You can also go to Long Island Marina (just a bit north) and fish from the docks there.

https://www.google.ca/maps/dir//45.1501 ... a=!3m1!1e3
cweatherell
Participant
Participant

Post by cweatherell »

You could try below the highway bridge where the 44 crosses the Rideau, lots of weed beds on either, side, deep water and I've seen lots of folks fishing there although never done it myself. There is parking on the inside of the guard rail on the west side of the bridge.

Carl
Daryl
Participant
Participant

Post by Daryl »

try around Petrie Island lots of areas for shore fishing....if you want get in touch with me.. I have a boat and fish out of Oziles at Petrie Island quite a bit..
613.314.6173....I live quite close to Vars....sorry I put in wrong cell.....613 314.3670
Mr.T
Participant
Participant

Post by Mr.T »

Thanks everyone for the info :D we'll be checking out Petrie island on monday morning and will try our luck. Daryl I sent you a PM.