Prop Issue

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Seaweed
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Prop Issue

Post by Seaweed »

Mercury Hub Kits?

Hi

I am running a 75hp Merc with a 13.5 d 23p prop

I have banged her up twice this year and when I last fixed it the guy said that I should get another prop because the one I had was getting soft from too many repairs.

So I go out and get another one from a local dealer. It is a Mercury prop with the same pitch and diameter but it seems different.

The original prop looks like it has a solid hub. The new prop comes with a hub kit and I am confused here. It appears that even if I assemble the hub kit there will still be a lot of hollow area along the spline of the prop shaft. It seems like there is only a half inch of gear on both ends of the prop hub and the rest of the cavity is hollow. Is there something that I am missing from my new prop kit? Is there something that I should be removing from the old prop and adding it to the new hub?

Help!

Any input is greatly appreciated.
nighttroller
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by nighttroller »

If it is a Merc prop for a Merc motor you shouldn't need a special hub, it should be the same as your current prop. You might want to post your question on Bigfatbass.com under boat setups. Dave Bairstow and Gord Hicks are the moderators and both work at Marinas and they are a great help.
spinner
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by spinner »

All should be ok as that is the newer design for the merc props.
Hub is no longer pressed in for that model. Now separate and replaceable if you hit something hard as it should sacrifice itself.
Seaweed
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Prop ok

Post by Seaweed »

Thanks for the help Spinner. Sure enough I sat down and after re-reading the directions I managed to assemble everything in the proper manner. I appreciate the input though Spinner you are so helpful when it comes to these new boat owner delimmas.

Back in business now and ready to wreak havoc on the fish population. :lol: