Province rejects chance to host 2017 World Carp Championship

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Province rejects chance to host 2017 World Carp Championship

Post by zippyfx »

A bit stale but I just stumbled upon this:

http://www.outdoorcanada.ca/Cut_the_Carp

Would have been interesting to see this in Ontario but it never fails to amaze me how little substantive knowledge elected and appointed officials seem to have about their portfolios.

This was a no brainer.
Last edited by zippyfx on Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Province rejects chance to host 2017 World Carp Champion

Post by ShawnD »

Wow, that's insane.. Can you petition this? :?:
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

A little rushed but I sent the following e-mail:

[SNIP]
Sent: Thursday, August 13, 2015
To: Mauro, Bill MPP CO
Cc: Wynne, Kathleen MPP CO; lisa.macleod@pc.ola.org; Sousa, Charles MPP CO; Matthews, Deborah MPP CO; gordpyzer@gmail.com
Subject: Ontario rejects chance to host 2017 World Carp Championships

To The Honourable Bill Mauro,

I recently found out about this decision and amazed at how a great opportunity for Ontario could be passed up. I am, an avid angle but I am interested in this as a citizen of Ontario. This was an opportunity to showcase Ontario and it's natural resources to the world in a manner that would not have had any impact on sustainability and would have had a significant net positive effect to the economy.

Specifically I reference two sections from your letter of mandate from the Premier.

"As we move forward with our plan to grow the economy and create jobs, we will do so through the lens of fiscal prudence. Our 2014 Budget reinforces our commitment to balancing the budget by 2017-18; it is essential that every area adheres to the program-spending objectives established in it. We will choose to invest wisely in initiatives that
strengthen Ontario’s competitive advantage, create jobs and provide vital public services to our families. The President of the Treasury Board, collaborating with the Minister of Finance, will work closely with you and your fellow Cabinet members to ensure that our government meets its fiscal targets. The President of the Treasury Board will
also lead the government’s efforts on accountability, openness and modernization as we implement new accountability measures across government."

I think this was a lost opportunity to create and maintain jobs in the province especially in the general areas of tourism (hotels, restaurants, transportation) and related areas specific to fishing like guiding services, fishing tourism and sales in our local fishing stores. This would have amounted to a significant amount of free advertising that would have had impacts before and after the actual event. This is a world class event that draws sports people and media from across the globe. I can not help but feel that this is a missed opportunity.

"You will also promote public understanding and the sustainable use of the province’s natural resources. I ask that you work collaboratively with other ministers and a wide variety of stakeholders to develop and deliver sustainable, science-based approaches to programs and policies."

I am a lay person in this area but my I feel I have a good understanding of fishing and fish conservation and I am relatively confident that any temporary variances this event would have required would have had a negligible or no effect on the Ontario fisheries.

If possible I was wondering if your office could re-consider this ruling and if possible invite the tournament back to Ontario for this or a later date.

Sincerely yours,

[SNIP] zippyfx
Ottawa, Ontario

Reference:

http://www.outdoorcanada.ca/Cut_the_Carp
http://www.northernontario.travel/fishi ... carp-about

Copied on this email:
Premier Kathleen Wynn
President of the Treasury Board Hon Deborah Matthews
Minister of Finance Hon Charles Sousa
My local MPP Lisa McLeod
Gord Pyzer, Respected and recognized sport fishing Journalist and Editor
Supernova224
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Supernova224 »

Well said zippy, it's frustrating to see this type of thinking (or lack thereof). Definitely a missed opportunity for Ontario that might not come around again for a while.
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

great!
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
EagleEyesFlash
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by EagleEyesFlash »

Excellent e-mail zippy !
Snag or Fish , Weed or Fish , Oh Fish On
Eli
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Eli »

Ontario should have allowed it...but the participants/organizers are just as unreasonable for being unwilling to stick to just one rod.
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

I received a response this morning that seems to carefully thought out. When I have time I will follow up with the contact they provided.

-- -------------------------

September 9, 2015

Thank you for your email regarding the 2017 World Carp Championships.

Despite what has appeared in the media, my office was not aware of any information or request associated with the 2017 World Carp Championships.

My ministry does not license competitive fishing events. Ontario welcomes a number of events each year where participants follow the same regulations as other anglers sharing the waters. Only one line is currently permitted by anglers fishing from shore in the Great Lakes. Multiple lines may be used when fishing from a boat.

Once my staff were made aware of this media story, informal discussions took place regarding this event. It was brought to their attention that gear restrictions (such as the number of lines that an angler can use at once) cannot be changed by Ontario through variation order.

Changing the rules on the number of lines that anglers can use requires a federal regulatory change under the Fisheries Act — even for an interim measure. This regulatory amendment process typically takes two to three years and requires approval from the federal Department of Fisheries and Oceans Canada following public consultation.

If you have any questions about Ontario’s recreational fishing regulations or policy, please contact [SNIP]

Thank you again for writing.

Sincerely,

Bill Mauro
Minister of Natural Resources and Forestry

c: Premier Kathleen Wynne
Lisa MacLeod, MPP, Nepean-Carleton
Charles Sousa, MPP, Mississauga South
Deborah Matthews, MPP, London North Centre
[SNIP]
curls
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by curls »

I have spoken with Bill Mauro in the past, although this was years ago. He's a good guy and very down to earth, and knows what fishing, hunting, and forestry means to the province of Ontario.
His reply makes sense, IMO. If it's a federal matter, then it would just be all but impossible to have the exemption made (especially during the election season now upon us).
I agree with Eli - the participants seem to be pretty rigid on their requirement to use more than one rod, and to be honest I think that's short-sighted on their part.
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

If they want to use more than one rod tell them to use a boat!
Fishing isn't a matter of life and death....
It's much more important.

ORWL
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

curls wrote:I have spoken with Bill Mauro in the past, although this was years ago. He's a good guy and very down to earth, and knows what fishing, hunting, and forestry means to the province of Ontario.
His reply makes sense, IMO. If it's a federal matter, then it would just be all but impossible to have the exemption made (especially during the election season now upon us).
I agree with Eli - the participants seem to be pretty rigid on their requirement to use more than one rod, and to be honest I think that's short-sighted on their part.
Totally agree with this .... or like Pete said, tell them to use a boat.
BAA - 2016 Team 18 (10 shy of 28)
Renegade Bass - 2013 Team 67 - 2014 Team 28 - 2015 Team 51
BAA (Great organization) 2011 and 2012 Team 7