A wild week on the Ottawa...continued

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Yannick Loranger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

A wild week on the Ottawa...continued

Post by Yannick Loranger »

7 musky in 7 days, a successful day of tournament fishing, great numbers of walleye, and a couple kiddos getting their first 'skis. What a wild week it's been on the Ottawa. I've been on the water 22 days in a row and finally have a bit of time to put together a report.

A few musky other than the one Lvace caught with us on Saturday:

James' 1st musky after a few swirls and follows pre-storm, this guy smashed a spinnerbait boatside

These two were caught within 10 minutes of each other on top water:

After Lvace caught his musky, the guys asked me to wet a line with them, a few casts in, my PB:

For those who have been following me for a while, you know that bass on the Ottawa are my Achilles Heel. I've made some headway over the last couple seasons, and was very proud to put together a decent tournament day. The wife and I finished one place out of the money, 7th out of 50, at the Shootout event in Rockland on the weekend with 14.25lbs.

And of course, there has to be walleye in my reports. The numbers of walleye are coming from the depths and the bigger ones are shallow. Nothing new there.

James caught this one minutes after his musky. We're getting 21-22'' walleye daily mixed in with the musky.

What a season it has been. Out of necessity, 80% of my groups are fishing spots I've never fished before this year, but the results have been bigger fish and bigger smiles. A foundation is being laid for better guiding for years to come.

Tight lines to all!
Yannick
Last edited by Yannick Loranger on Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yannick Loranger
Owner and Head Guide
Ottawa River Guided Fishing
http://www.OttawaRiverFishing.ca
CyrusG
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: A wild week on the Ottawa

Post by CyrusG »

Beauty fish as always Yan, looks like its been a decent year for skis! How deep do you usually fish for the eyes on a sunny day? I don't have trouble getting them in the evening, but during mid day it's always been a hit and miss for me this year.
Cy
Yannick Loranger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

LiplessCrank wrote:How deep do you usually fish for the eyes on a sunny day? I don't have trouble getting them in the evening, but during mid day it's always been a hit and miss for me this year.

Bigger walleye are always susceptible to being caught in and along weeds. Evening is better but it's really not uncommon to get big fish mid-day, under blue skies from less than 6'. One of my guests today even spotted a 20" + walleye crusing through the weeds in 3'. If you're looking for eaters, anywhere from 20' to 40' depending on the day, today 23' was good.

Yannick
Yannick Loranger
Owner and Head Guide
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

Great report Yan!
pdizzy0973
Participant
Participant

Post by pdizzy0973 »

yan what tactics are u using in the weeds during the day? Bobbers and cranks would be my strategy...
Yannick Loranger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

pdizzy0973 wrote:yan what tactics are u using in the weeds during the day? Bobbers and cranks would be my strategy...
I'm partial to worm harnesses, but cranks and spinnerbaits have landed their share or fish too. We caught a 22" walleye casting spinnerbaits for musky on a flat last night.
Yannick Loranger
Owner and Head Guide
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

:shock: :shock:
Yannick, you're on a role!

Lache pas!

Shawn.D
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
Oneeleven
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Oneeleven »

That first pic is awesome! Thanks for the report. Great as usual.
lapointeric
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by lapointeric »

Nice job, as per usual Yan.

E
Yannick Loranger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: A wild week on the Ottawa...continued

A wild week turned into a wild month. We contacted 11 musky on Saturday, but only managed to land 2 low 30s fish. Yesterday morning Ottawa Champions' pitcher Nick Purdy landed this pig, his first of 2, on a 3 musky morning.

Yannick Loranger
Owner and Head Guide
banjo
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: A wild week on the Ottawa...continued

Post by banjo »

She's a bute ! :D