Ottawa River Channel Cats.

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Xenos
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Ottawa River Channel Cats.

Post by Xenos »

For anyone of you who have never had a chance to experience Channel cat fishing in Ottawa, I highly recommend you try it out. Right now there are in the holes and the holes are full. I Have been out twice this week and you just can’t keep up with them. As an example. tonight I just gave up fishing as I was having trouble taking the fish off my daughters line. No I’m not joking, there are that many out there. Just head out in middle of the Ottawa and look for a hole and as soon a you see a few hooks on the bottom drop anchor, chum the water and in about 30 minutes you will not imagine how may fish you will be catching.
Hoser
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Hoser »

Xenos: Is this the same as mudpout fishing? I punch a bunch of holes in a can of dogfood and leave it in the sun a day or so then tie a string to it , sink it down to the bottom, anchor and tie it to the boat. They come like a flock of vultures and it's nonstop action.
Xenos
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Xenos »

The only difference is the size. Common fish are in the 5lb area with 10+ lbs not all that uncommon
spinner
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by spinner »

Hoser wrote:Xenos: Is this the same as mudpout fishing? I punch a bunch of holes in a can of dogfood and leave it in the sun a day or so then tie a string to it , sink it down to the bottom, anchor and tie it to the boat. They come like a flock of vultures and it's nonstop action.
Shouldn't that be a can of catfood! :wink: :)
Hoser
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Hoser »

spinner wrote:Shouldn't that be a can of catfood! :wink: :)
It's psycological warfare. They think they are getting one up on the dogs by stealing their food :lol:
spinner
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by spinner »

:)
I like the can idea -- I'll have to try it.
Xenos
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Xenos »

I don't use dog or cat food however I love the idea. I have my own mixture, almost puked last year making it after a week in the sun it sure was ripe, you wouldn’t believe the dogs that hung around my home during that period. Smells better this year but I’m careful not to get it anywhere.
Hoser
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Hoser »

spinner wrote::)
I like the can idea -- I'll have to try it.
Been doing it for years and it works like a charm. Punch some decent size holes in the side of the can with a nail. One word of caution....when you pull it out, let the water drain before bringing it in the boat. makes a gawdaweful mess on the carpet if you don't.
Kingmann
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Kingmann »

Don't you love it when your good buddies like to rub salt in your wounds. Last night (evening) I got a call from Xenos 'let's go fishin on the Ottawa RIGHT NOW'. Well, I was looking after my 2 and 4 year old and couldn't (and I'm dieing to go, Xenos and I were out on Sunday morning casting for 4 hours and I caught NOTHING).
Well at about 8:30 PM I get a call from Xenos and it went like this.

Xenos: Hey Jay, check this out. OK, my line is up, I'm dropping it down now. Ok I just touched bottom, ok I'm just going find bottom properl..Oh I got one. It seems small, let me land it. Ok it's unhooked, I'm dropping back down now, I just hit bottom and WOW I got one. HE HE this is a nice one! can you hear the line peeling off?

Kingmann: Why are you doing this to me. You are torturing me.

Xenos: This one is quite a scrapper. Ok it's unhooked. Did you here the splash, that one was nice. I've been doing this for a half hour now. Ok I'm rigged up again and dropping the line. I'm on bottom, got one, woooo this one is nice. Can you hear the line peeling off?

Kingmann: yes I can hear the line peeling off. This is not nice you know.

Xenos: WOOOOOO! This one is even better. Hee Hee Hee (laughing like a madman) Do you HEAR THIS LINE!?

Kingmann: Yes, and it wasn't that I didn't want to go, I couldn't go.

Xenos: Ya I know, I gotta let you go this one is REALLY scrapping.

Kingmann: When are we going back to this same spot?

Xenos: I don't know, I'll let you know, I gotta go, Bye!

I went back to chores around the house. Gotta love it.

JasonM
Tony
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Tony »

That's a kind of slow torture that only other fishermen could appreciate. I'm going to give this stinky can on a rope a try this Sat. on Arnprior. But I hate catfish, GROSS!
Rex Mundi
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Rex Mundi »

OK, So you stick a stinky can a the bottom, what are you putting on your hooks? Worms? Chicken Liver?

As for the chicken liver idea, do you just get them from the groccery store. And once you get them do they need to be stinking rotten as well or just keep them in the fridge.

I am not sure about this stinking stuff. It dies not seem fun to sit in a boat full of rotten stinking crap.
Chrome_A_Saurus
Participant
Participant

Post by Chrome_A_Saurus »

Well cannot say I ever tried the whole stinky can thing but as for baiting the hook use beef or chicken liver but beef liver stays on the hook alot better. I cut the liver into pieces...fair size and put them in a tuperware container with minced garlic...no name jar at any grocery store works fine ..about 3 bucks or so ...the stinkier the better lol

Cheers

Chrome
Tonyb
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Catfish Bait

Post by Tonyb »

Fresh Chicken liver works best, previously frozen doesn't do the same thing. Farm Boy in Kanata sells it fresh, costs about $2.50 and you will have all the fish you can handle. The big old cats get smarter though, they don't take the artificial baits as often as the little ones. If looking for a big girl, have some one use a big minnow, 4 - 6" works well.

Last year on the ottawa river were were catching one after the other and they were mostly in the 10 lb. range. What fighters.

TonyB :P
The bigger, the better!
Hoser
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Hoser »

Rex Mundi wrote:I am not sure about this stinking stuff. It dies not seem fun to sit in a boat full of rotten stinking crap.
done right, you never have to smell the stuff. put the string through the can when you first punch the holes through, the put the can, string and all in a zip lock bag and let it get stinky. out of the bag and drop it overboard when you anchor. same thing in reverse when you pull it out. PC beef and liver..89cents :D
Xenos
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Xenos »

King man, that post is hilarious. I have to admit it was fun.