Port Hope salmon

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
fishin mission
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Port Hope salmon

Post by fishin mission »

Just wondering if anyone has info reguarding the salmon run in Port Hope.....i heard theres salmon at the ladder i would imagine they came in last rain fall and they must be staging at the mouth as there are a few boats fishing close to shore just wondering if anyone has any more info on the subject .............thanks in advance any info is appreciated ....DANO
EagleEyesFlash
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Port Hope salmon

Post by EagleEyesFlash »

A Kayak angler buddy of mine got 3 chinnys last Friday NIGHT out in front of there.
They are starting but not many caught off the pier yet. The full moon this weekend may get some more going,
but expect the major run later like in 2 to 4 weeks after a heavy rain. However a more silver fresh one from the lake is more
desirable. This time of year salmon will head in shallow at night and head back out at day.
I'm looking forward to playing with the mud sharks too, such a blast from a yak. :)

( maybe check the quinte site ;) )

Brent
Last edited by EagleEyesFlash on Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Snag or Fish , Weed or Fish , Oh Fish On
fishin mission
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by fishin mission »

Brent:

Thanks for the info i guess i will wait it out for a bit till we get a good rain or may trailer the boat and fish the mouth like the others are doing ......muchly appreciated...DANO
steve_rauch
Participant
Participant

Post by steve_rauch »

The boat is packed and I will be heading down there Saturday and Sunday.... Will put a report together when I get back... Hopefully with some fish pictures
fishin mission
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by fishin mission »

PERFECT .................thanks Steve looking forward to it ....not much in the river as im told they are staging
steve_rauch
Participant
Participant

Post by steve_rauch »

Well I will make it short and sweet...
Seems the salmon are staging right now in 25-40 fow right in front of the harbour. We did see a lot of people fishing and watched one guy hook up only to have his line break.
Fishing on the lake was rather slow to say the least. We talked to a few charters and seems all week the fish were biting and then Saturday Sunday developed lock jaw...
Talked to a ton of people who were on the water and no one seemed to have much luck... We lost 2 and that was all the action we got...
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.52 MiB) Viewed 2399 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.46 MiB) Viewed 2399 times
EagleEyesFlash
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by EagleEyesFlash »

Yaked fished thurs night / Friday morning.
Nothing during the night, it was warm and don't think many came in shallow, although
you'ld see the odd one porpoise. Come sunrise, and could see lots of salmon porpoising
further out in the harbour. Felt wonderful peddling among the fish and got action.
What a rush ! :D

( Guess what rod I got it on ;) , lost one on the trolling rod, fish straightened the trebles. )

EEF
Snag or Fish , Weed or Fish , Oh Fish On