Kazabazua, Gracefield, Wakefield, Bouchetta... Sturgeon.

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
BigFume
Participant
Participant

Kazabazua, Gracefield, Wakefield, Bouchetta... Sturgeon.

Post by BigFume »

All these towns supposedly hold Sturgeon, I've spent two days trying to catch this beast with no luck. Town locals showed me some spots like under the bridge in Bouchetta and under the bridge in Kazabazua. All I caught were two catfish.

Hi all, I'm the unlucky fisherman. It seems I invest so much money into fishing tackle but never get any pleasure from it. I don't know if it's the rig I'm using, time of day, or maybe I'm throwing my bait in the wrong spot. I've also read on this forum that those places are good fishing ground for the ancient monsters.

Not sure where to go from here, locals say there is an abundant amount of these creatures, but I haven't even seen one fishermen.

What do you guys think?
joco01
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Kazabazua, Gracefield, Wakefield, Bouchetta... Sturgeon.

Post by joco01 »

I have caught more sturgeons then i can count in bouchette,,,,but not under the bridge,,,its higher the second set of rapids,,just bellow it,,they were a trail we could get down to the rapids,,,,now close,,now you have to boat up there frome bouchette,,or park on side and walk somehow.

If you look a a map,,,you will see a creek frome rodick lake going into the river,,,frome there you see a rapid going down. Right thefe,,,,or the other side of that iland onother set of rapids!

And saw huge ones in northfield rapids,

And on the ottawa river below rideau falls,,,or up near fort coulonge,,many there,,,thats why they still do comercial fishing for themmin that area of OR!

Good lusk

On your hunt
BigFume
Participant
Participant

Post by BigFume »

Thanks Joco, I will give that area a try. I actually took advice from you off another post you made about fishing Sturgeon in that area, that's how I found out about it. If I have to make my own path, so be it :lol: Whatever it takes 8-).
joco01
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by joco01 »

Not saying. You will catch some.,,,,, :D

But wedid good in the past there,,,,,and were not even fishing for them,,most time we were fishing for walleye

But again,,,,it is still good there?

Its rapids,,,,and rapids is good for all species

I will go back there very soon. Having my parents living at 3 km frome there help to go there hahah. Must have fish down those rapids in bouchette like few 100s time. Always frome shore,,,and we caught ar PB sturgeons and pb walleye there,,

Good luck. And post report.
qcconnection
Participant
Participant

Post by qcconnection »

Early in the season, the bridge near Kazabazua is decent. I assume you`re talking about the bridge right on the river, that opens into a large bay?

One of my friends caught a 71 inch sturgeon there a little over 10 years ago. I have caught numerous fish there as well, but like said, usually around the opener and at night.
BigFume
Participant
Participant

Post by BigFume »

Just got back, fished for about 12 + Hours, and not a single sturgeon. We caught two suckers in the rapids in Bouchetta. And under the Kazabazua bridge, some catfish.

Bouchetta was amazing. Even that we didn't catch anything the country is beautiful. The current is pretty strong, we had 2 - 8 ounce weights, my Penn rode has a limit of 5 ounces, which I think was enough but sometimes it can bounce on the bottom or the current will suck it up and pull, making you think there is a fish on! :lol: It seemed like the best place to throw our bait was just in front the centre of the rapids close to the shore, it looked like there was a big hole, and those suckers would be there. :? . Well the weren't there. :cry:

We also fished under the Bouchetta bridge for an hour oh so, with no luck.

We head to Kazabazua bridge afterwards, we stayed there 2 hours after sunset and the fish were jumping like crazy, I'm not sure what species it was but every couple minutes you would hear a decent size fish slapping they're tails around. Under that bridge, there is really only one side to fish on, the right side. There is a lot of debris and logs on the other side. Just in the middle of the river under the bridge seems like there is a huge hole, the line drops of at least 15 - 20 Ft. It became a problem when reeling it back to the shore you can get a snag trying to get your rig out of the hole. No sturgeon here either.
Attachments
IMG_0448.jpg
IMG_0448.jpg (8.43 MiB) Viewed 4572 times
IMG_0450.jpg
IMG_0450.jpg (1.52 MiB) Viewed 4572 times
IMG_0451.jpg
IMG_0451.jpg (7.44 MiB) Viewed 4572 times
BigFume
Participant
Participant

Post by BigFume »

EDIT.
Last edited by BigFume on Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BigFume
Participant
Participant

Post by BigFume »

qcconnection wrote:Early in the season, the bridge near Kazabazua is decent. I assume you`re talking about the bridge right on the river, that opens into a large bay?

One of my friends caught a 71 inch sturgeon there a little over 10 years ago. I have caught numerous fish there as well, but like said, usually around the opener and at night.
Wow nice fish. I'm not sure, I posted a picture of where we went. I didn't see a bay there. And didn't see any fishermen there either. In both spots. I know when we went sturgeon fishing in Montreal 3 years ago we went in July for the opener.
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

BigFume wrote: We head to Kazabazua bridge afterwards, we stayed there 2 hours after sunset and the fish were jumping like crazy, I'm not sure what species it was but every couple minutes you would hear a decent size fish slapping they're tails around.
No one can say you are not dedicated :) Thanks for posting.

Night time splashing is a hallmark of Sturgeon during bright nights but they are so big you can usually see them.

See my report: http://www.fish-hawk.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=46224; I hope to be going out for them tomorrow.

Though very possible during the day, your chances may be better in the evening. you should try from sundown to midnight but you will likely get a lot of catfish bites as well. I am not sure how night safe you location is.
BigFume
Participant
Participant

Post by BigFume »

Well, we didn't plan for night fishing. It was dark, no light source besides your iPhone light and a little fire. We had a full moon but the pine trees around us block any useful light. Not the best place for night fishing. Also this is only my second time fishing sturgeon. When we fished for them in Montreal we had our rods in our hands and we felt the bites and from there we tried to set the hook. This time around we got set up more like carp fishing. Without the bells and buzzers. So at night time it was hard to see the bites. A little frustrating with catching catfish. I'm interested in your setup?
Last edited by BigFume on Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BigFume
Participant
Participant

Post by BigFume »

Interesting, your description is very similar to how we fished them in Montreal.

"As we went out we were told the preferred method for threading worms onto the hook, the utmost paranoia around them feeling the point of the hook or “tasting” the hook. We also got a description of how they find and pick up the bait in the current. We were to pull out about 6 inches of line once the pyramid sinker had found bottom and we tightened the lineup. We held the line in our fingers waiting for the tap of a bite and then we were to gently release the slack we had pulled out “feeding” the worm to them. Aggressive takes are rare."

I wonder if the same technique applies on the Gatineau.
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

BigFume wrote:Well, we didn't plan for night fishing. It was dark, no light source besides your iPhone light and a little fire. We had a full moon but the pine trees around us block any useful light. Not the best place for night fishing. Also this is only my second time fishing sturgeon. When we fished for them in Montreal we had our rods in our hands and we felt the bites and from there we tried to set the hook. This time around we got set up more like carp fishing. Without the bells and buzzers. So at night time it was hard to see the bites. A little frustrating with catching catfish. I'm interested in your setup?
Sounds good. I have heard people being successful using this approach. use of a bait runner reel would be ideal.
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

BigFume wrote:Interesting, your description is very similar to how we fished them in Montreal.

"As we went out we were told the preferred method for threading worms onto the hook, the utmost paranoia around them feeling the point of the hook or “tasting” the hook. We also got a description of how they find and pick up the bait in the current. We were to pull out about 6 inches of line once the pyramid sinker had found bottom and we tightened the lineup. We held the line in our fingers waiting for the tap of a bite and then we were to gently release the slack we had pulled out “feeding” the worm to them. Aggressive takes are rare."

I wonder if the same technique applies on the Gatineau.
I see no reason it would not. But in your case I doubt that you missed any takes due to your approach. Sounds like they are either off or absent a this time. Since there is a good history of them being around I would try different times until the close of the season. Your bound to hook into one sooner or later by the sounds of it.