FHBOVT 2015 Derby Entry Pictures

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Lvace
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: FHBOVT 2015 Derby Entry Pictures

Post by Lvace »

Tip-up wrote:Pinched tail from lip to tail that one looks to be 18" Lvace but who am I to ref lolol. Beauty bass regardless. Hoping to get an entry in tomorrow, looking like it going to be a hot one!!
Actually that is just how I put it down on the bench..... But whatever you guys think.... So just to be clear then how should the bass be placed in order to measure it correctly? I have watched bass tourneys on tv before and have noticed when measuring there bass they do pinch the tails... Not trying to be difficult just trying to understand the way you guys want it done!
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

Lvace wrote:
Tip-up wrote:Pinched tail from lip to tail that one looks to be 18" Lvace but who am I to ref lolol. Beauty bass regardless. Hoping to get an entry in tomorrow, looking like it going to be a hot one!!
Actually that is just how I put it down on the bench..... But whatever you guys think.... So just to be clear then how should the bass be placed in order to measure it correctly? I have watched bass tourneys on tv before and have noticed when measuring there bass they do pinch the tails... Not trying to be difficult just trying to understand the way you guys want it done!
Pinch or no pinch .... 19 inches is still the length to beat.
We were out today and tried very hard. We were not even close.
BAA - 2016 Team 18 (10 shy of 28)
Renegade Bass - 2013 Team 67 - 2014 Team 28 - 2015 Team 51
BAA (Great organization) 2011 and 2012 Team 7
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

Since this is a fun one lvace you do what you want. If pinching the tail gets you an extra half inch then give er go.

So here is my day fishing in a nutshell. Got out after work and hit up ole faithful. Had a blast with my buddy and my nieces bf. Anyway we caught twenty some bass and a few pike in a couple of hours and all were nice tanks. 5 fish 13lbs. So I catch one that is around 18-19" and get the first of two pics done

Then we weighed it and it came in at 4.3lbs. Anyway went to get length of it and no tape measure. So I can not enter this guy for this week and it was a contender for sure.

I will post a report with rest of pics we got.
Fishing isn't a matter of life and death....
It's much more important.

ORWL
daveh_cdn
Participant
Participant

Post by daveh_cdn »

Hilarious. I can't believe you forgot the tape.
Lvace
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Lvace »

almontefisher wrote:Since this is a fun one lvace you do what you want. If pinching the tail gets you an extra half inch then give er go.
normally with musky I would pinch the tail...... but bass nope...either way slate is clean and still no entry from me! :) Maybe in the future if I can get another worthy one!
daveh_cdn
Participant
Participant

Post by daveh_cdn »

Lvace wrote:
almontefisher wrote:Since this is a fun one lvace you do what you want. If pinching the tail gets you an extra half inch then give er go.
normally with musky I would pinch the tail...... but bass nope...either way slate is clean and still no entry from me! :) Maybe in the future if I can get another worthy one!
Don't be all noble Marty, enter that guy at 18.5 and keep fishing.
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

I saw it. It was def 18.5 or bigger and yes work on your damn fish measuring code placing picture taking skills. Your down at 18.5 and if someone gets a 19 then everyone will feel bad that you got screwed over. Lol.

ORWL
Lvace
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Lvace »

almontefisher wrote:I saw it. It was def 18.5 or bigger and yes work on your damn fish measuring code placing picture taking skills. Your down at 18.5 and if someone gets a 19 then everyone will feel bad that you got screwed over. Lol.
Hence why I am down for nothing!!! To much controversy .... Pinched tail or not.... So the right thing to do here is forget that fish was ever caught!!! I have always measured and weighted my fish how I see others on TV or I fish with do... But hey I did have a understanding with that bass I told him to lay almost straight, not to flop around and to hold his tail like as if I pinched it and in return he got his favorite treat :lol:
Lvace
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Lvace »

http://m.myfwc.com/fishing/freshwater/f ... s/measure/

There you are a good practice for measurements!
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

Lvace wrote:http://m.myfwc.com/fishing/freshwater/f ... s/measure/

There you are a good practice for measurements!

So pinching the tail as shown, would add some length to your fish.
BAA - 2016 Team 18 (10 shy of 28)
Renegade Bass - 2013 Team 67 - 2014 Team 28 - 2015 Team 51
BAA (Great organization) 2011 and 2012 Team 7
clint
Participant
Participant

Post by clint »

My sister and her family are visiting from Kirkland Lake this week.
My newly 9 year old nephew jack is normally a fishing nut so as part of his birthday present I signed him up for this... The other part being supplied by Mystery Tackle Box.
I knew there was going to problems right from the get go.
I met them at my moms place on monday when they got here and right away he tells me that his dad forgot to pack their fishing rods and tackle box.
Then after explaining to him what this was his first words were "I hope i catch a big Pike! He's home schooled so this is kind of the norm for him.
I normally take him and my Brother in law out in search of the mighty sunfish.
This trip has been the first time he's been out fishing with out live worms.

We waded out Thursday night at dusk for our first try. Not wanting to get too crazy with things right off the bat, I set him up with a black and green curly tail grub under a bobber. he lost 2 fish and had a third break off right as he pulled it out of the water. He didn't care, the first one he lost came off when it jumped out of the water while he was reeling it in. He thought that was the greatest thing ever. I thought for sure i had him hooked at that point.

Fast Forward to Saturday. The plan is set, we're going to try again. this time his dad was going to come with us. His dad didn't grow up fishing so I've been trying to teach them both. I launched my boat just before dinner time. went back up to the house and cooked dinner for everyone then the 3 of us were off. We motored out a couple hundred yards into the bay i live on. I got cracker jack set up and his line in the water and started rigging up one of my old rods for his dad. Before I even have a chance to tie a snap swivel on to his dads line he says he doesn't think they're hungry today, ON HIS FIRST CAST!!! we tell him to keep trying, I get his dad set up. On his dads second or 3rd cast hes got a little rock bass. That perks cracker jack up a bit. Cut ahead about 15 minutes. His Brother and sisters and my oldest daughter have headed out swimming. His dad is casting away, and I won't lie, I'm busy picking apart a wicked birds nest, when he says maybe it's time to go in. His dad starts making fun of him I keep cursing the mess I've gotten myself into, and he starts reeling in.. He gets about halfway to the boat when he lets out a whoop and screams like a girl, "I got one I got one". A short struggle ensues. Then into the boat comes his first entry into this contest. He knows right away that it's not going to be first place but he's happy none the less.

I didn't think to bring a tape measure with me but i have this ruler on the side of my boat, hopefully not laying flat will still be accepted. Measured in at just shy of 12 inches.

We stop and get the pictures taken and make sure he's all set for his entry, and get the fish released.
His dad goes back to casting and i say F it I'm cutting my line. he casts out and 30 seconds later, "Maybe we should just go swimming." This time in full pout mode. His dad and I go back to fishing while he sits in my drivers seat and pouts. this goes on for about 10 minutes, The whole time we are reminding him that we are going to the beach for the whole day on Sunday. Still won't budge. I ask him if he'd like to try out one of my crank baits, he whimpers yes.... So I tie that on for him and 3 casts later he's ready to quit again. this time actually almost coincided with his mom telling his siblings that it was time to get out of the water so we head back to shore as well. About 15 feet from shore he says he wished he'd have gone swimming. So I did the only logical thing an uncle can do in this situation. I picked him up by his life jacket and threw him over board.

We're trying again tomorrow on a new lake.
Oneeleven
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Oneeleven »

Re: pinched tail or not.

This is not my fish to fry (sorry for the pun..). But that fish's tail was not intentionally pinched. (Using the above link provided by Lvace) I'm taking the photo here, and attest to this.

The seat was warm. And the water we'd placed on it for fish slime preservation was rapidly drying. Looks like his tail got half stuck.

But also using that guide, this fish's mouth was open, which is incorrect if following this format.

If LVace doesn't want to use this entry, so be it. But we really need to decide what fish measuring rules we're going to adhere to.

Personally, I think this is supposed to be a fun tourney and everyone may be getting a titch too serious here... But I digress...

Pinched tail or not? Closed mouth or does it matter?
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (134.03 KiB) Viewed 4322 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (2.4 MiB) Viewed 4320 times
Natch09
Participant
Participant

Post by Natch09 »

I will know better to pinch the mouth next time , so here is my one entry . Largemouth bass 16.5 inches long .
Attachments
IMG_20150905_112611.jpg
IMG_20150905_112611.jpg (152.18 KiB) Viewed 4310 times
IMG_20150905_112555.jpg
IMG_20150905_112555.jpg (66.32 KiB) Viewed 4310 times
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

Week one winners are as follows.

Kids LMB - none entered
Kids SMB - Junior - 16"

Adult LMB - Lvace - 18.5" fallback if Lvace does not accept is Nacho09
Adult SMB - Daveh_cdn - 18"

Congrats to all that entered. Adults get bragging rights and a little something. Winning Kids get a prize pack. Week two is on right now till Sunday so let's get some more entries on the board.

ORWL
Lvace
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Lvace »

Nacho09 is your winner! Congrats!!