FHBOVT 2015 Derby Entry Pictures

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

FHBOVT 2015 Derby Entry Pictures

Post by almontefisher »

This is the thread to post your two pictures on. So make sure the ID code is visible in both pictures and the one with the length can be seen clearly how long it is. It would also be handy if you could post of it is a large or small mouth bass for those who may not know the difference.
Fishing isn't a matter of life and death....
It's much more important.

ORWL
Oneeleven
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: FHBOVT 2015 Derby Entry Pictures

Post by Oneeleven »

Here's a template you're all welcome to use for your entry tag, if you so wish. I laminated mine last year to protect from the elements.
FH entry Form.jpg
FH entry Form.jpg (47.7 KiB) Viewed 6106 times
daveh_cdn
Participant
Participant

Post by daveh_cdn »

Ok, so first night of the tournament and I got my first big smallmouth of the year. It must be a good sign... caught him just around the corner from my house :)

Now, nothing about this guy was easy, he put up a great fight, but the biggest battle was getting the god damned photographs. Geesus. The missus wasn't able to focus the camera much and the big guy didn't want to stay still enough to get a good measure of.

I really didn't want to keep him out of the water so even I was panicking trying to get things done quickly.

In the end when I got home none of the photos really turned out... especially the ones which show the size. I got a good measure of him at one point laying him down flat but we had a camera malfunction as the canoe was drifting into a tree. The one I did get holding the tape doesn't really show much but I'm trying my best there. The thing that makes it hard is holding the sign with the fish, I think I gotta tape my code to the back of my hand or something in the future :)

Peter - he was 18" on the dot, you'll have to take my word for it. I understand if people don't agree with me entering this guy because I don't have a good photo of the size - this is all just for fun. If it helps anyone I can take a photo of the measuring tape I used to show the numbers clearer and you can cross-reference with the photo.
Attachments
IMG_0699-1.jpg
IMG_0699-1.jpg (704.36 KiB) Viewed 6049 times
IMG_0700-2.jpg
IMG_0700-2.jpg (594.07 KiB) Viewed 6049 times
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

TheMiniMav and TheMaverick made the long trip out to our favorite water hole.
From point A (front door of house), to point B (backyard) took roughly 15 mins, but only because we made the occasional stop to pick up rocks, and observe every ant on our path.

The bite was a grind, but TheMiniMav did manage a perch and a couple of gills.
Water clarity was surprisingly clear, and locating structure was key (water tower and balls).

Unfortunately, no bass!! (I need a bigger pool).

If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

Hey Dave. I can actually see it when you zoom in. I am good with this and congrats on the first entry.

Minimav. Awesome job dude. I would have tried the thick grass beside the pool you were fishing in myself but looks like the water tower paid off for ya. Mav I notice pulled out the ole team 28 trick of not catching anything. Lol. Maybe minimav should become franks new team mate.

ORWL
azabache
Participant
Participant

Post by azabache »

TheMaverick wrote:TheMiniMav and TheMaverick made the long trip out to our favorite water hole.
From point A (front door of house), to point B (backyard) took roughly 15 mins, but only because we made the occasional stop to pick up rocks, and observe every ant on our path.

The bite was a grind, but TheMiniMav did manage a perch and a couple of gills.
Water clarity was surprisingly clear, and locating structure was key (water tower and balls).

Unfortunately, no bass!! (I need a bigger pool).

Awesome catch Minimav!

Azabache & Junior
azabache
Participant
Participant

Re: FHBOVT 2015 Derby Entry Pictures- junior's first smallie

Post by azabache »

2nd day of FHBOVT & Junior said we need to try a different part of the Rideau River this morning, for smallies, instead of LMB.
Not much luck with our usual squarebill crank baits, spinnerbaits . Had 1 shadow follow after the white/chartruse one with what looked like a pike ,but it did not commit. :mrgreen:
After about an hour Junior suggest we move to where the water levels rise & flow faster close to the bridge & ...... switch to a worm :wink:
3 Casts in & I swear I thought he was going to fall in with the third cast as this "football" hits his bait & took him 8-9 minutes to get him to shore, with a strong current also.
I did manage a few casts but got 0.... :lol:
Well as I keep learning, the old song of "here fishy ,fishy" resulted in his first Small mouth bass for FHBOVT. 2015.
sept. smallie
sept. smallie
SUNP0006.JPG (1.25 MiB) Viewed 5934 times
Not easy to get a good pic of the measurement when subject was not eager to lay flat, we think it holds at 16", his biggest SMB so far!
SUNP0002.JPG
SUNP0002.JPG (1.43 MiB) Viewed 5934 times
Thank you to Oneeleven for the fishawk logo template idea, I used my son's plastic paper protector, should hold up till season is over and to Daveh_cdn for the inspiration to go after Rideau River smallies , Junior has quite the fish story to tell in school next week!
Hopefully he can get LMB tomorrow when we go back to the Canal , that size or bigger! :D

Tight lines everyone & we will post again once we get more fish.

Azabache & Junior.
daveh_cdn
Participant
Participant

Post by daveh_cdn »

Wow, he must be psyched. That's cool he got his biggest.

Let me know if you're interested in trying my neighbourhood and I'll show you some spots.
Last edited by daveh_cdn on Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

Awesome work junior. Your dad had told me on the phone you had an entry for this but was not expecting this. Awesome tank bud. I will have a list of entries and positions made up by the weekend but at this point it's pretty easy. Dave is first in adult SM and junior is 1st in kids division.

ORWL
Lvace
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Lvace »

retracted from myself do to improper measurement!
Last edited by Lvace on Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

Where is Tia's entry?? Lol

ORWL
daveh_cdn
Participant
Participant

Post by daveh_cdn »

Lvace wrote: No record but a very nice largie!! 19inchs...
Nice catch Marty - I'm still after my first largemouth, can't wait.
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

I'm heading out this afternoon with a buddy so hopefully I will be on the board. Unlike Tia. Bahahaha

ORWL
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Tip-up »

Pinched tail from lip to tail that one looks to be 18" Lvace but who am I to ref lolol. Beauty bass regardless. Hoping to get an entry in tomorrow, looking like it going to be a hot one!!
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

Tip-up wrote:Pinched tail from lip to tail that one looks to be 18" Lvace but who am I to ref lolol. Beauty bass regardless. Hoping to get an entry in tomorrow, looking like it going to be a hot one!!

lol...I'd be willing to give him 18.5" Tippy. Just so he feels good about catching a nice bass for a change!!

ORWL