Need advice on 1979 Evinrude (70hp) engine

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
steph
Participant
Participant

Need advice on 1979 Evinrude (70hp) engine

Post by steph »

Hi guys, my boat engine let me down twice this week on the water (not very pleasant ...). I am able to stop and restart the engine many times during the day but when it won't start once, it will quickly drown with gas. I'll try using the "choke", cleaning the spark plugs ... but it will not start again. The engine will start easily the next day after all the gas has evaporated.

I would appreciate any advice on how to deal with this type of problem.

Thanks,

Steph
scttsmpsn
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by scttsmpsn »

Where abouts are you located? Possible Carb issue perhaps.

Scott
steph
Participant
Participant

Post by steph »

Hi, I'm located in the Montreal area (quebec).

I hope there is something I can easily do to recover from such a situation when out on the water.

Steph
M.T. Livewell
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by M.T. Livewell »

I'm with scott, sounds like carb trouble.

If you are handy, you could tear it apart and rebuild it.
If you are not, you could spray some carb cleaner at it and see if that helps (caution, many folks do not suggest carb cleaner on a 2 stroke. But I have never had any problems).

Also, are getting spark?

Good luck.

M.T. Livewell
Rideaufish
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Rideaufish »

If you havent already try replacing the plugs even if they look clean and good can cause problems and a cheep try. Plus you always can use a spare set.
steph
Participant
Participant

Post by steph »

Thanks for thel advice guys. I already have 3 new spark plugs installed. I will try and pickup some carb cleaner and give that a shot. The carbs will probably be rebuilt during winter time.

Steph
spinner
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

engine issues

Post by spinner »

Steph - you have a Private message
Gordo
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Gordo »

Hey Steph I have a 69 Evinrude 85 HP and the folks so far have given you solid advice on what to look for. Check the fuel lines as well that go into the carbs and make sure they aren't worn or cracked. Have you ever replaced the fuel lines? I just rebuilt my evinrude (new pistions, rings, lower unit, power head, U name it I replaced it and I was shocked how poor of shape the fuel lines were in. Not saying that is the problem, but it's worth checking while you take the other lads advice. I'll also speak to the mechanic that rebuilt my motor and get his advice. More to come.

Gordo
Gord

NPAA#553
steph
Participant
Participant

Post by steph »

Hi Spinner, I sent you back a PM.

Thanks for the help guys. I'm hoping that my problem is due to the fact that I use the "choke" switch often when restarting my engine thru out the day. I now heard it can cause the engine to flood. This is my 1st boat and I got lots to learn ...

If my problem persists, a friend of mine will help me work on the carbs.