Rideau river biting is slow...

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
seahawk
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Rideau river biting is slow...

Post by seahawk »

I went out both yesterday and today from 12:00pm to 6:00pm launched in Kars Manotick, each day only one bite but not hooking one fish. I asked other fishing men and they were not doing well either. I was mostly fishing along the weed line that I found the weed seems alive(see my attached photo) about 10 ft deep. I also tried shallow water too since I read some tips saying fall bass will stay at shallow to feed. Can someone offer any good advice on Rideau river for this time of year fishing please since the soft water fishing days are counting down? BTW, What is the weed name (like small pine tree very heavy) in my photo and does this kind of weed hold fish? Thanks.
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Rideau river biting is slow...

Post by lape0019 »

I was out there on Saturday and have a good idea where you took that!!!

Our day was similar. One bass and two pike between 9:30am and 4:00pm and we fished from 6" to 15'

Had a bass literally nudge my bait and swim off. I thought for sure he was going to take it because it actually swam past the bait and turned around to attack. Drove me nuts.

I've never had much luck on that stretch of the Rideau during the fall but many people say it is great if you can find them. Keep at it and I'm sure it will change for you.
kliven
Participant
Participant

Post by kliven »

Went out today at Reeve Crag on the Rideau from 2:30-6:00pm, and all I got was one 2 pounder (he actually threw the hook in the end). This guy was in about 6-8 feet of water and on a deepish weededge. No one that I met was having luck on that stretch either.
procrafter12
Participant
Participant

Post by procrafter12 »

whats the water temp out there now anyway?
seahawk
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by seahawk »

About 53 - 55F.
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

The water temps for us on Saturday were 51 to 57. I was hoping for 60 but ill take what I can get. Secondly, all our fish came when the water temp was around 52.
bl8ant
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bl8ant »

I fished Big Rideau lake for the first time this year on Monday to get an idea of where the fish were stacking for Megabucks.

water temp 55-58 throughout the day and I boated only 4 bass over 12 inches—toughest day I've had on the water in a few years.
Could turnover have something to do with it? I'm no biologist but perhaps the process of turnover is being prolonged by the fluctuating temps
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

bl8ant wrote:I fished Big Rideau lake for the first time this year on Monday to get an idea of where the fish were stacking for Megabucks.

water temp 55-58 throughout the day and I boated only 4 bass over 12 inches—toughest day I've had on the water in a few years.
Could turnover have something to do with it? I'm no biologist but perhaps the process of turnover is being prolonged by the fluctuating temps
Same here, we were out Monday on Big Rideau.
We boated fish, but nothing worthy of fall brutes.

I think fall turnover might actually be in its starting phase.
We've gotten lots of wind lately and this might be accelerating the process.
It's my understanding the turnover evenly distributes oxygen to the entire water column as the 3 layers start mixing.
They might be heading to deeper depths.....turnover is usually done when water temps hit 40.

At least that's my excuse come next Saturday! :D
If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
BradGuenette
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by BradGuenette »

TheMaverick wrote: They might be heading to deeper depths.....turnover is usually done when water temps hit 40.

They sure are deep,be sure to quickly release all incidental caught lake trout while fishing for smallies :lol: :lol:
Brad Guenette
Swimbait Canada
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bass Addict »

All three Lake XXX's we fish were DEAD this weekend !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You would swear that there were no fish in them whatsoever ! :shock: :twisted: :twisted:
There will be an influx of Great Grey Owls in the winter of 2017
Peron
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Peron »

I was out in thin waders on the Ottawa River on Saturday and when I went out again on Sunday the temperature had dropped A LOT (as measured by my built in thermometer). The bite was decent (including my lost giant) on Saturday but by Monday I could not get a bite anywhere (Rideau and Ottawa). The weeds were definitely thinning out and dying.

Rod
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

BradGuenette wrote:
TheMaverick wrote: They might be heading to deeper depths.....turnover is usually done when water temps hit 40.

They sure are deep,be sure to quickly release all incidental caught lake trout while fishing for smallies :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: Dayum!
If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
Peron
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Peron »

BTW Seahwak, the plant looks like it might be Eurasian Water Milfoil. An invasive plant species on the Rideau however, unlike a lot of waterways, the milfoil on the Rideau "appears" not to have caused much harm to the native species... or so the research done seems to indicate. The fish seem to like it!
BobbyJordan
Participant
Participant

Post by BobbyJordan »

I didn't know that the Rideau river was ever not slow! I'm pretty sure the fishing has been tough just about everywhere the last week or so. Keep covering water - they're in there somewhere and should be eating. I'd stick to moving baits) like spinnerbaits, etc) to cover as much water as you can. Once you find one, there are usually others around this time of year so fish it a little more heavily once you get one.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

The Musky follows I witnessed last week would tend to agree with your assessment. Things will heat up real soon methinks.

RJ