boat upgrade??

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Jale
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

boat upgrade??

Post by Jale »

I am looking to upgrade my curent legend. (2001, 15 footer with a 30hp)

My question is this.

Wife said it was ok to get a new boat as long as it is capable of pulling her or the kids waterskiing or tubing.

What would be the minimum hp to do the job.

I would prefer to stay with an aluminium boat if given the choice but price is gonna be the deciding factor

This is all conditional on selling my current boat or getting a decent trade in on it, which probably won't happen at this time of year.

A used boat is not out of the question either.

what do you guys think?

thanks
Wall-I-Guy
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wall-I-Guy »

I feel for you bud! I've been going through the exact scenario you've put forth here! I just sold my Legend 151 with a 4 stroke 25hp about a month ago. I personally think 60 hp minimum to tow people. But what do I know?

I'm close to a deal on a used LUND with a 90 Hp Honda with all the toys I want. Man I can almost taste it!!!

Anyone know anything bad about Hondas.....speak now or forever,...well you know!

Seriously, would appreciate some input.

Goodluck jale6666
Xenos
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Xenos »

It’s going to be close with that boat. It will be great for the kids but I would think 30 will be a bit weak to pull an adult out of the water and not quite fast enough for the tube. I have a 16ft with a 50 and I can’t imagine any thing smaller for an adult, but then again it may all be just the weight of the boat.
Jale
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Jale »

XENOS...actually my current boat is the legend and it's the one that i'm looking to upgrade.

WIG... I think that is the same as mine only i have a 30 two stroke.
Cancatchbass
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Wig

Post by Cancatchbass »

Wig- you'll love the Honda. We have a few at the Park and they are indestructible. Other guys I know who have them swear by them - not at them.

They do have one problem, though.

They run so quiet that owners often try to start the engine when it's already running. :shock:

As for waterskiing, a 50 will barely do the job . Recommend you go higher or get a 35 pound boat operator and spotter. :lol:

CCB
M.T. Livewell
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by M.T. Livewell »

I would suspect 50hp would be fine. I recall stories of water skiing on an old 40 (pulling early teenagers).

50 in fact should be more than adequate, but you may need to pitch down your prop.

i.e. my 90hp has a 19" pitch prop. When I am running solo with a light load and kicking but at the Muskrat Drags, I am tickling 5500 to 5600 rpm (my ideal range).
But I load all my fishing gear, and bring one of my many heavy passengers, and fill the livewell (to clean it :cry: ), the best I can run at WOT is about 5200 rpm. Now, if I pitch down to say 17" pitch, I'd probably be right up where I need to be.
Because the lower pitch spins up faster, it would be better for getting skiers up on plane.

Good luck. I love boat shopping!

M.T. Livewell
Wall-I-Guy
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Re: Wig

Post by Wall-I-Guy »

Cancatchbass wrote:Wig- you'll love the Honda. We have a few at the Park and they are indestructible. Other guys I know who have them swear by them - not at them.

They do have one problem, though.
They run so quiet that owners often try to start the engine when it's already running. :shock: CCB
Thanks CCB, glad to hear! I've heard some grumblings of how some have had carb issues??? Ring any bells?

Anyway, I'm sure they all have their issues!
scttsmpsn
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by scttsmpsn »

15 foot Legend; must be the 151 Viper? I hope to buy this boat next year if I'm lucky. As I recall this boat will hold a 50hp motor. I would suspect that you could tow with a motor upgrade. My friend has a 40hp on his lund 16 foot Rebel and he got his uncle up who is 190 pounds. With the lighter boat and a bigger motor I would think you would be ok. You would save some money for other toys!

We ran into a guy on Charleston who has a 151 with a 50hp and says he can do 29 miles per hour.

Cheers,

Scott
Carl
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Carl »

Waterskiing should be around the 30mph range and tubing is anywhere from 25-20mph.

a 50 HP should do the trick but it all depends on the weight of your boat.

Good luck.

Carlco
Cast-Away
Participant
Participant

Post by Cast-Away »

I have a 2001 17 foot Legend with a 75HP 4 stroke and it is amazing! I can pull two skiiers or a three seater tube with 3 10 year olds without a problem. It is great out of the hole. I would not have bought less than 75HP for a family boat.

Here she is:

Jale
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Jale »

thanks guys

I'm hoping something to find something in the 16 foot range with a 50-75 hp. I just wanna smaller boat with the hp maxed.

Actually mine is a 2001 1468 Legend ProSport, with a 1999 30 johnson(max hp)

guess i know what to look for now
nighttroller
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by nighttroller »

I had a Legend 151 Viper with a 40 2-Stroke (that was the max). It was great for tubing for all ages and for kids watersking. I tried to get it pull me up (200lbs) on skis and it dragged me around the lake for a while until I gave up and let go of the rope. I had a 14 ft fiberglass runabout many years ago with a 55 and it would pull anyone up on skies. Unfortunately a 40 won't do it!