Cats are still biting!

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
CyrusG
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Cats are still biting!

Post by CyrusG »

Caught this decent cat in the Ottawa River last night at a new spot, i was looking for my first open water ling but after missing a few big bites i finally hooked into the first cat of the night!

Cy
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Cats are still biting!

Post by smitty55 »

That's a good size there. Bet that put up a good fight. Have you tried any of them at the table?

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
CyrusG
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by CyrusG »

I don't eat catfish but i do know many people that like them, all of them go back when i fish for them. The water was cold so the fight was slow but i knew i had a heavy fish on once i hooked it! :D
Cy
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

Nice fish! I love the slate grey colour of fall cats. You may be the one catching the last cat of the season ;)

I think this up and down temperature is making catching ling difficult. I have only hit them on one night...
frogin1998
Participant
Participant

Post by frogin1998 »

Hey, just wondering are any other species biting at this time of the year?
CyrusG
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by CyrusG »

Your able to catch every species no matter what time of year, just need to change your tactics. Catfish can become very tough to find once the water gets too cold and late fall is a tough time to be shore fishing for anything but if you put in the effort you can find some decent fish! Check your PM's
Cy
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

frogin1998 wrote:Hey, just wondering are any other species biting at this time of the year?
Pike, musky, walleye, sauger, ling, perch, fall fish, small mouth bass (if you have a boat, they are staging in their fall pattern as per recent reports)....

Mostly all common fish except the bass family should be biting near shore. Catfish bite should be tapering off...

If the weather works out I may be heading out to the nears area for Browns, bows, and lakers... Fingers crossed, the warm weather and wind seems to have water messy and the wind high...
EagleEyesFlash
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by EagleEyesFlash »

Nice cat Cy !
Yeah Zip, some trouting may be in order, don't need to
buy a road permit after Nov. 15th.
Always a back up plan if too windy for Quinte. :)
Snag or Fish , Weed or Fish , Oh Fish On
Peron
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Peron »

Aw Crud! Very nice fish!

I have been skunked my last four outings.... not a bite (although mid-day from shore in not the best locations so I am not overly surprised). My rotator cuff has been giving me a lot of grief and casting is not helping so I thought I could give my arm a rest and pack it in until hardwater season.

Now I need to restart my elusive catfish (and thanks to Zippyfx also Ling :( ) hunt. I think I will pick up some minnows and drop them on the bottom near a dropoff some evening. Not too much casting involved and I might finish the season with a catch.

Anyone know if the Walleye are coming in shallow on the Ottawa at dusk?

Rod
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Big Ole dirty Cat!

RJ