Cancun fishing advice

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Cancun fishing advice

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Howdy

I will be in Cancun next week.

Any tips or words of caution for me?
Anyone ever pier/shore fished there?
Permits needed etc?
Good guides?

Thanks!
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Cancun fishing advice

Post by RJ »

Doubt you need a license, unless you spend $$$$$ on a guide you are going for a boat ride for the most part on those southern fishing "excursions".

Enjoy the Sun, Cuba bound in Jan!

RJ
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

RJ wrote:Doubt you need a license, unless you spend $$$$$ on a guide you are going for a boat ride for the most part on those southern fishing "excursions".

Enjoy the Sun, Cuba bound in Jan!

RJ
Me thinks I shall then just pack a 7ft med hvy spinning reel with 20lb braid and take along a few plugs and spoons.
Its my honeymoon so very doubtful my fishing time will be much.

I agree on excursions. $600US for 4 hours...cheapest published rate we have seen to date. No fish guarantee either.
Knowing me the day I'd go it will be a northeast wind, huge swells and the fish have lock jaw.
Oneeleven
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Oneeleven »

No licence needed to shorefish
use a leader with braid. Heavy flouro. Also - shell out for the aqua PP. It's nearly invisible. A Cuda bit me off, straight through a metal leader. So .. it's not always foolproof.

Sneak some meat (bacon works!) from the buffet and leave on in a plastic bag on the deck for a day in the sun. Stinky meat on a light jig. Got me the only action from shore. Plastic baits of all sorts did F all.

ETA: Follow the tides. I used Windfinder and timed my fishing to coincide with the tide going in or out. Bait fish get swept in and then the bigger fish follow.

If you're going to do a fishing trip, maybe make a day of it and go to Playa Del Carmen (an hour or so away - $50.00 cab or $5.00 Greyhound type bus) if you can book with Roberto Navarro. He leaves out of the Ferry dock in DT Playa. He jigs. Not boring deep sea trolling. His rates are great and he will also share if he's got two singles who want to go. He would let you bring the wife along for the ride and there's a deck she can lay and suntan on while you fish. He's on FB, and also Trip Advisor. I fished with him and some other FH'ers have too. Be warned tho - he is not catch and release. If you catch anything of size he can show off on the beach after your trip. he will keep it regardless if you wanted to. Don't know if that bugs you.

Have fun!
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

How much did he charge Tia?
Oneeleven
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Oneeleven »

Jimmy.. you'd have to check with Roberto directly. But I think I split a 4 hour (he gave us 5 hrs tho) 6-11 am trip for around $250.00 US each. Maybe a bit more? I don't remember. Was def worth the money for the experience alone.

Be prepared tho - jigging that deep is HARD FRIGGEN WORK! lolol I was exhausted and bruised after.
Mike P
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mike P »

....hire a boat, take that to Cabo San Lucas, where I will be fishing for marlin the same time you are in Cancun! Good luck Jimmy!
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Mike P wrote:....hire a boat, take that to Cabo San Lucas, where I will be fishing for marlin the same time you are in Cancun! Good luck Jimmy!
Got extra space on that Marlin boat?
Cost?
Mike P
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mike P »

Jimmy_1 wrote:
Mike P wrote:....hire a boat, take that to Cabo San Lucas, where I will be fishing for marlin the same time you are in Cancun! Good luck Jimmy!
Got extra space on that Marlin boat?
Cost?
Jimmy, if you made it down to Cabo, we would share a boat, and probably a drink or two! :lol:
I paid $150 us for the boat and guide for 6hrs + $30 us for license ( because I was fishing from a boat) + $30 us for bait... $ 210 us . We went about 3-5 miles out from shore and jigged and drifted bait for marlin and tuna.
I refuse to pay for the bigger charters anymore. Too many times I've been taken for a ride down south, literally one long expensive boat ride with-out ever firing a rod!
I'd look into what Oneeleven has suggested or check out some fly fishing charters. Shore fishing can always be a blast, great advice, bring some of those heavier muskie leaders you have!
Enjoy your trip Jimmy!
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Thanks!

I have done much research but even $350 US seems steep.

I will see where we end up when we get down there. Likewise Mike good luck out there!