Finally Building A Shack

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Finally Building A Shack

Post by scarkner »

After years of talking about it... I am finally going to cross this one off my bucket list:
--> Build an ice-shack and spend the night on the ice!

Plans are done, materials begged, borrowed and where absolutely necessary... purchased.

This little guy will break apart into two separate sleds for easy towing and allows me to drop it at different locations. Will probably start off at Shirley's Bay this year.

I will post photos as the building progresses...
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Finally Building A Shack

Post by RJ »

Ambitious task! I've debated on building a small shack again myself!

RJ
Oneeleven
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Oneeleven »

scarkner wrote:After years of talking about it... I am finally going to cross this one off my bucket list:
--> Build an ice-shack and spend the night on the ice!

I will post photos as the building progresses...

Good on you :) Can't wait to see your photos and hear about the progress!

It's my dream to stay out overnight this year for my birthday. *hint hint y'all :D *
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

Gotta love the kid, tonight as he lay on the floor of the shack he said:
Jon: "Dad, when you die, can I have the shack?"
me: "Sure Son"
Jon: "Can I sleep in the shack on days when mom is mad at me???"
me: "Well, that was kinda MY plan all along, you are welcome to join me!"

smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Good stuff Scarkner. If I can add one suggestion it's to keep your windows small to prevent break-ins. It's too bad but there are always low lifes around.
How do you plan to tow this around on the ice? What's your heat source going to be?

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
Oneeleven
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Oneeleven »

scarkner wrote:Gotta love the kid, tonight as he lay on the floor of the shack he said:
Jon: "Dad, when you die, can I have the shack?"
me: "Sure Son"
Jon: "Can I sleep in the shack on days when mom is mad at me???"
me: "Well, that was kinda MY plan all along, you are welcome to join me!"

:lol: :lol: :lol:
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

smitty55 wrote:Good stuff Scarkner. If I can add one suggestion it's to keep your windows small to prevent break-ins. It's too bad but there are always low lifes around.
How do you plan to tow this around on the ice? What's your heat source going to be?

Cheers
Your gonna love the heat source - I have modified a buddy heater - It is now a digitally controlled heater that mounts on the wall, has forced air and should (according to my thermal calculations) keep the place toasty warm.

Will tow it with the truck if I need to move it, but the point of the design is to allow it to come apart into pieces so it doesn't need to be towed at all.

Side window is small and doesn't open. Will have a "storm door" for the main door, which isn't terribly secure, but not bad. I plan to cover most of the door with insulation, so there will only be a narrow strip of glass down the middle. All windows will be covered when I am not there.
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

Update on the shack.

Door Mounted, I plan to remove some of the glass and replace it with insulation panels.

Putting Poly-iso in the walls, roof and floors.

Roof is on (still need to cover it with vinyl) and mounted the first bunk bed tonight which my son had to try even before the glue dried!
RyanW
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by RyanW »

Last edited by RyanW on Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
613 Ice Fishing
On Facebook
Farlane94
Participant
Participant

Post by Farlane94 »

awesome looking shack, love the design of it
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Things are looking up. Looks like a fine job.

Scarkner maybe I'm being overly paranoid here, but if that door is as insecure as it looks I think you're asking for trouble. Adding insulation panels isn't going to do much for security as it's still going to be obvious that it's really just an exterior storm door. Those creeps poke around during the day checking out shacks that seem to be the easiest to break into and then return late at night to do their nefarious deeds. Not trying to be a bummer here, but to me there's no worse feeling like the one of being personally violated by getting broken into and robbed after all the hard work you put into it. Plus I would be seriously concerned about how a B&E like that could potentially negatively affect the young lad.

Like I said, not trying to be a negative nellie here at all as I think it's great you're putting up a shack and will be able to have some memorable times with the lad and friends. It's just that I'd hate to see that ruined by some low life thief that picks your shack as an easy mark. Just sayin man. Something to think about anyway...

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
banjo
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by banjo »

Shack looks good. I am curious about the hole layout.
Best thing to do is sleigh in and out any valuables. No matter how secure it is, people will get in. The easier it is to get in the less damage is usually done, so I don't see an issue with the door. Being able to look in and see that nothing valuable is in there can sometimes be the best deterrent to a break in.
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

banjo wrote:Shack looks good. I am curious about the hole layout.
Best thing to do is sleigh in and out any valuables. No matter how secure it is, people will get in. The easier it is to get in the less damage is usually done, so I don't see an issue with the door. Being able to look in and see that nothing valuable is in there can sometimes be the best deterrent to a break in.
Yeah - I stopped locking my car after someone broke the side window ($600+) so they could steal the loose change ($2?) from the center console. Since then I have had my car broken into three times, never had anything taken (which is kinda insulting, guess they didn't like my taste in music)....

Hole layout - I am probably putting four holes, one beside each seat, and two against the front wall. Don't want to swiss-cheese the floor, not much point really since the shack is so small, I will probably focus on putting most of my rigs outside anyway.
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

Shack is just about done. Working on the interior lighting, shelves, etc. Here is a good chain of assembly photos showing how it goes up in modules.

Note the FishHawk logo at the end...

Floor is two separate sleds that bolt together:

First wall sections bolt together and into the base:

Two trusses drop-in at the top and hold the other modules in place:

Front sections go on the same way with the door.
Then comes the roof which is in two sections:
BIG DISSAPOINTMENT HERE - The roofing is made from a recycled bill-board and it is complete random chance what you get. I was really hoping for a beer ad and to my surprise I got a beer ad. Why the dissapointment??? Because you can't see it once assembled. Only planes and satellites will see my cool beer roof :lol: :lol: :lol:

Final shack, note the logo on the front so you will know who I am!

cgates
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by cgates »

Cool set up!!!! Now we just need ice? I'm ok with not getting any