A SLAVE GUIDE'S STORY.

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

A SLAVE GUIDE'S STORY.

Post by Moosebunk »

A SLAVE GUIDE’S STORY.

This past summer I took a job guiding in northern Canada. Fueling the idea was much curiosity, fishing experience and one overwhelming urge to challenge myself in an entirely different way. At age 39, with twenty years devoted to work and study in healthcare, recent changes have opened doors for new opportunities... And so it came to be, that with some nervous anticipation I boarded a July flight destined for Plummer’s Lodge on Great Slave Lake, with hopes to become a guide...

INITIATION.

A talkative angler sat on the plane next to me for our flight to Yellowknife. At first Trevor carried much of the conversation, excitedly explaining how he loves muskie and all things muskie fishing. Within his descriptive stories he held quite a confidence and passion for it, making all that he said quite easy to believe. When he slowed down enough to ask about my fishing it only served to open up a giant can of worms, one which lead to several beers and hours of us rambling on and on. Waiting for him at final destination was his uncle promising pike, lake trout and the possibility of inconnu found upon Great Slave Lake. A nice fella to meet and share unexpected time with, we’d part ways on the ground. Trevor planned to stay two weeks in the city and explore outward from there, while I had another flight to catch the following morning.

A year earlier Brenda and I upon Great Slave had fished that same grand stage ourselves. Third week into the Plummers fishing season as guests we were treated to exceptional fishing. While forest fires blazed across the Territories, some continually encroaching upon the lodge, we happily inhaled the threat as one unique part of our experience. An angler, what intrigued me most about this fishery was its jig bite. I love and prefer to jig, and no other trophy arctic lake that I have fished does such a quality opportunity exist at even close to the same caliber. Slave's underwater topography of vast differences and enormity, greatly inspires possibilities for catching giant lake trout lurking anywhere beneath its surface.

To continue reading please visit...

http://bunksoutdoorangle.com/a-slave-guides-story/

Thanks,

Bunk
Last edited by Moosebunk on Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Re: A SLAVE GUIDE'S STORY.

Post by Moosebunk »

Last edited by Moosebunk on Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

Last edited by Moosebunk on Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

Last edited by Moosebunk on Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lvace
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Lvace »

Are those lakers or laker/carp hybrids.... :shock: There are no words that I can write that can do your report justice!!! Thank you very much for sharing !!!!
Daboss
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Daboss »

You ought to find yourself a publisher, this could make a good book!
Damn right I'm good in the sack...I can sleep for hours!
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

I'm almost speechless Drew. That was the best couple of hours I've spent for quite a while. My beer got warm and the fire went out in the wood stove lol. I know it always gets said with every new report you treat us to, but this time you've really outdone yourself. That was truly incredible fishing for your guests and an inspiring adventure for you as well I figure. Even some drama thrown in hehe. Great job on the photography as always, highlighted by the eagle pics for me.

I can't imagine how long it must take you to put a story like this together for posting. Kudos man.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
Yakster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Yakster »

Once again.....amazing.
sooooo, going back next year?
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

Thank you fellas. :)
smitty55 wrote:I'm almost speechless Drew. That was the best couple of hours I've spent for quite a while. My beer got warm and the fire went out in the wood stove lol. I know it always gets said with every new report you treat us to, but this time you've really outdone yourself. That was truly incredible fishing for your guests and an inspiring adventure for you as well I figure. Even some drama thrown in hehe. Great job on the photography as always, highlighted by the eagle pics for me.

I can't imagine how long it must take you to put a story like this together for posting. Kudos man.
This one a real long time. There is a private report that did once take me four months, but it was just something that was chipped away at now and again over that time. This report was a difficult one because many times I tried to start it, got into it, then had to quit because of time or not liking where it was going. A couple people had said, leave the negative out, but I could not. Like with every report, I keep the experience real. Actually taking quality photos and writing are two things like fishing itself I quite enjoy. They are as much a hobby to me as other hobbies have been and still are. Once here in Nunavut, the long dark evenings after working ti'll 5:00pm, and few days off, this gave plenty time to really sit down, find a groove and make this thing happen. Not rushed with other things, it didn't feel so much like a chore. Instead of lazing watching T.V. or surfing the net (couldn't no internet for two weeks) taking this on was actually a treat. Reliving each day through the short journal notes, piecing the pictures into the story, it's like arts and crafts for a ninny like me. Deep into and nearing the end of this process, work called me in one evening to help with the delivery of a baby. Later during middle of the night I was woken and had to rush in for a big trauma, had I not been there this boy would have drowned in his own blood. Barely any sleep, working nearly 24-hours, by breakfast my wife texted asking me to call my father. We lost our grandmother unexpectedly, and I was basically trapped in Nunavut holding fort. On tilt, while working still, I accidentally stabbed myself full length with a dirty IV needle into the palm of my thumb, and later set off the fire alarm at the residence while searing a steak for lunch. Next morning, another emergency called me in and we pronounced a young father dead. The family was crushed and we had to console them, all the while I was trying to keep myself together and console my own back home. Worst 36-hours of my life. Blizzards came in after that and grounded flights for nearly three days, there would be no going home... So, I put a lot into finishing up this report when able, using it to take the mind off things. Looking at the pictures especially, it's realized how precious our moments enjoying life really are.
Yakster wrote:going back next year?
Not sure. It's teetering between that or some place else for guiding, or possibly taking a Nunavut contract and branching out to Arctic char opportunities for Brenda and I from there.
Walleye'm Fishing
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant
Location: Casting..................... in your NOT SO SECRET spot.

Post by Walleye'm Fishing »

Just a crazy awesome adventure right there!!! Those lakers are just unbelievable... You sure spoiled that father-son duo, way to go!
Walleye'm fishing, you're sleeping.
Bigcvin
Participant
Participant

Post by Bigcvin »

Excellent story. Very jealous of all of the photos.
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

How can each of you reports be a trip of a life time !?

Those are monster lakers, and I just love that grayling!
scuro
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scuro »

I stayed up way past my bedtime to finish er....well over an hour of reading. She's all Bunk and a beauty of a report...probably your best. :)
Keep em coming and thanks so much for sharing. :D
...anything to bend the rod
Laker_Taker
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Laker_Taker »

Awesome Mr. Bunker! Going to have to give it a more thorough read @ home. Not a bad office you had there this summer!
iankrzyzanowski
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by iankrzyzanowski »

I can honestly say this is the longest report I have ever read.... but it was worth it. That's quite a recap, so much so I don't even no what to say. Some truly amazing fish and stories there bunkster.

Those lakers are just something else! Sorry to hear about your families loss! Its never easy and couldn't have been easy for you not there being there! I'm missing the steelies to!