The End of Cabela's? Let the speculation begin....

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Grizzly Grub
Participant
Participant

The End of Cabela's? Let the speculation begin....

Post by Grizzly Grub »

ImageImage
JZ
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: The End of Cabela's? Let the speculation begin....

Post by JZ »

Doesnt matter much to me if they buy cabelas, I have no problem with either store. The only bonus as I see it is maybe BPS will finally wise up and follow cabelas lead and have a canadian website and distribution centre.
ipjrobson
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by ipjrobson »

They may not be allowed to due to things like the Competition Bureau in Canada. At the very least, there may be some specific thing that will need to be done before
Grizzly Grub
Participant
Participant

Post by Grizzly Grub »

Whose to say what would or could happen. Hence the "speculation" in the title of the thread. I'm all about having more choices available, It would be a shame if they just swallowed up Cabela's and for it to not exist anymore, competition is healthy....it is also possible that BPS buys Cabela's yet keeps the name and product lines as well. Who knows? You'd think not all is grave at Cabela's due to the fact that they opened a new store in Calgary, and Moncton this year, an Ottawa store this spring, and Halifax the following year....but again that's not saying much....look at what happened with Target in Canada, could turn upside down in an instant.

At the end of the day, I'm quite happy with my local Mom and Pop shops, the Bennett's Baitn'Tackle family, the Baitcasters, That Hunting and Fishing Store, and from what I hear Paddletales is a great little store as well (albeit off my beaten path), they will continue to be my "go to" no matter what happens with the "Big Boy's"...it's just interesting to watch it unfold.
ImageImage
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

JZ wrote:Doesnt matter much to me if they buy cabelas, I have no problem with either store. The only bonus as I see it is maybe BPS will finally wise up and follow cabelas lead and have a canadian website and distribution centre.
Unfortunately the Canadian website (from what I've seen) pales in comparison to what is offered on the US website. Target Canada déjà vu.
"There wouldn't have been any butt kickings if that stupid death ray had worked."
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

Grizzly wrote: At the end of the day, I'm quite happy with my local Mom and Pop shops, the Bennett's Baitn'Tackle family, the Baitcasters, That Hunting and Fishing Store, and from what I hear Paddletales is a great little store as well (albeit off my beaten path), they will continue to be my "go to" no matter what happens with the "Big Boy's"...it's just interesting to watch it unfold.
I do 90% of my gear purchasing locally but for about 10% of my needs I get a better deal online (with free shipping in most cases)

Todd B. wrote:
JZ wrote:Doesnt matter much to me if they buy cabelas, I have no problem with either store. The only bonus as I see it is maybe BPS will finally wise up and follow cabelas lead and have a canadian website and distribution centre.
Unfortunately the Canadian website (from what I've seen) pales in comparison to what is offered on the US website. Target Canada déjà vu.
Agreed. I love the bps website; easy to search and filter and save a wish list. They offer free shipping 3-4 times a year.

Cabellas never have free shipping and shipping to a store is treated like a special order and you have to pay shipping.