Spawning and fishing

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
ipjrobson
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Spawning and fishing

Post by ipjrobson »

I have a question about fishing during the spawning season.

Let's say I want to fish for panfish. Their season is open all year, so does it matter if I fish for them when they spawn?

Also, how does this apply to other species? For example, let's say I am fishing for pike when that season opens and I am catching bass. What is the appropriate procedure?
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Spawning and fishing

Post by lape0019 »

It's all relative to the fishing season. Some pan fish are closed in some areas (Perch are closed on Lake St. Francis during their spawn) but if the season is open and they are spawning, you can still fish for them.

As for catching bass during pike season, It's going to happen. If I catch a bass, I get it back in the water as soon as I can and continue to fish. If I catch another bass, I move.
ipjrobson
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by ipjrobson »

lape0019 wrote:It's all relative to the fishing season. Some pan fish are closed in some areas (Perch are closed on Lake St. Francis during their spawn) but if the season is open and they are spawning, you can still fish for them.

As for catching bass during pike season, It's going to happen. If I catch a bass, I get it back in the water as soon as I can and continue to fish. If I catch another bass, I move.
Yeah that's what I kinda figured. I was curious about fish that are out of season part. Next year will be the first year fishing for panfish early in the year and I was worried about catching fish that were out of season
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

I was on the Niagara last weekend and they were catching Lakers by the mitful during the spawn. They tossed them back but they were not moving on.

Seems like the guides were treating them as "part of the trip experience"....

Considering they accounted for 80% of our catch I was surprised everyone was still fishing the area. Apparently it is OK there.
ipjrobson
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by ipjrobson »

I was looking into this today and I found this from Ontario.ca
Can I fish for closed-season species if I practise catch and release?
No. It’s illegal to fish for (target) closed-season fish, even if you don’t keep them.

If you accidentally catch a closed-season species:

release the fish immediately
consider changing your location, tackle or fishing methods, so you don’t catch the same species again
Souce: http://www.ontario.ca/page/fishing-limi ... nd-release

From what I understand then, as long as you aren't targeting the species that is not open yet you're ok.
bobfly
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by bobfly »

The Ontario.ca quote is a bit misleading and I'm surprised by it. I was told by a CO that if you catch an out of season fish you MUST move on. If they are watching and you cast again in the same area, you will be ticketed.
bobfly
ipjrobson
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by ipjrobson »

Yeah I thought it could be misconstrued as well, but the smart angler would move on in order to avoid any potential ticket. Because as you mentioned, I would think that if you are spotted repeatedly catching and out of season fish, you will get ticketed