Grateful in 2015

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
zeke13
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Grateful in 2015

Post by zeke13 »

As I read a few of the "2015 in Review" posts, I started thinking about how to present my year; such great stories and this seems to have been a stellar year for a number of anglers. The more I thought about my year, the more I realized that my review would have little to do with results and fish and more to do with how grateful I am to all those who have helped me, and mentored me and the friendships I've made along the way .. ok, and a little about the fish :D

You see, this is only my fourth season fishing .. before that I had never really fished, driven a boat, towed really anything let alone launch and extract a boat from a lake. In fact when I bought my boat in the spring of 2012 it scared the crap out of me! But over the last 4 years I've read hundreds of articles, magazines, and web sites, attended countless seminars .. can you tell I'm a detail-oriented guy ... but most of all made friends with some of the most unselfish people you'd ever meet .. willing to share their accumulated knowledge with someone who shared a common passion.

When I bought my boat, the boys at Orleans Boat World told me I should start going out to Paddletales on Thursday nights as a lot of competitive fishermen congregate there just to talk everything fishing.
That next Thursday I was at Paddletales ... I walked through the doors, was amazed at how much tackle was in such a small place and started to walk around eyes glazed over .. what had I got myself into? But as I stood there, looking at the plethora of tackle, wondering what you would do with most of it, a guy comes over and says "Hey I'm Pete, whatcha lookin' for" ... and it just seemed like everyone there had something to tell me about fishing. Then I met the owner Ed and his wife Sandy, certainly two of the nicest people I know, and for four years now, I've been there most Thursdays and made a ton of other friends and now I enjoy sharing my stories with everyone.

Oh ya .. that guy Pete ... he's now my Renegade partner .. I wonder if he could turn back the clock :shock: he would probably be thinking “Creating a monster, am I” :o

Suffice to say, it's been a short but intense four years for me but a journey that I'm grateful for every day. Before I get to my year I want to thanks a few other people specifically for mentoring me along the way; Fred Young, Trevor Cheney and the Gaffney brothers, Spencer and Corey have always been great resources and I am thankful for your friendships.

Now on with the show ...

I started my year by going down to Lake Champlain in early May with 13 other anglers, most are FishHawk members, for a three day weekend to kick off the year as some of the northern states have an early catch-and-release season. I fished the weekend with Corey Gaffney and although we slayed them consistently for three days, catching 4, 5 and 6lb largies, some of the best memories I have are from spending the evenings as a group either at restaurants or just milling about outside the motel rooms, smoking cigars, having a few pops and sharing some fantastic stories .. just ask Bobby Jordan :lol: .. we all know why he’s goin’ back! If you have a chance to join this crew next year, it’s an amazing way to start the year.

Since I'm not much of a multi-species angler, I decided not to fish any lakes in Zone 18 until bass opened and took another trip to Lake Champlain, this time the north end, out of the Chazy River and then another trip with Pete down to Lake Oneida. I love to explore new water and both of these trips afforded me some guilt free bass fishing.

As the season opened, I found I had a lot more time to pre-fish than Pete, so, as in previous years, I took a colleague's son out with me and over the past three seasons have tried to pass on to him as much as I could of what I was learning. He’s now a diehard fisherman at 16 and we've done a couple of walk-ons together .. finishing in the top 10 in one. I'm not quite sure which I'm consistently more impressed with, the progress he's made in three years or how much that kid eats! It’s hard to forget walking into Timmies first thing in the morning and he orders 10 breakfast sandwiches .. yep .. that’s a 1 followed by a 0!!

I'm learning that competitive fishing seasons never really go like you think they will .. you only hope that you're able to put some quality time in on the water pre-fishing, and that what you learn is useful come tournament day. What you really strive to do, is to be able to adapt what you've learned pre-fishing to the conditions on tournament day because they are inevitably never the same!
Most of the guys that fish Renegade have been doing this for a long time so my expectations are not so much results based but rather based on improvement and confidence. That being said, our results were better relatively this year and we made the classic .. even though in those last moments prior to the announcement Matt Massey tried to convince us otherwise :evil:

The fall season is one of the best times of the year .. it's fun fishing at it's best and this year the weather has been great as I'm still fishing and it's Dec 9th.

I've enjoyed this fall season immensely .. caught a ton of fish ..
fished with a couple of guys I've never fished in the same boat with before, Paul V and plowjock, and took Tia out for our yearly Remembrance Day fish .. (I feel lucky as it's evident she doesn't fish with everyone :shock: )

So how did this madman get started; in the fall of 2011, a colleague was nice enough to take me out bass fishing on his wake-boarding boat and the rest is history. Well this colleague of mine then up and moved to Toronto the next year and I never had a chance to thank him and take him out fishing in my boat. Well as luck would have it, he returned to Ottawa on a contract at the start of this past November and the first thing he said to me was "Do you think we could get out fishing before you put the boat away for the season". Well I have been waiting for almost four years to repay him for introducing me to fishing, so fish we did! This was clearly one of the most satisfying moments of my year, as I watched him catch some pretty nice fish, giants to him, and to just witness the sheer joy he was experiencing. Thanks again buddy!

So yes .. I had a great year. I am a much better fisherman this year than last year and I clearly caught more big fish this year than any of my previous three years. BUT, the best of this year is in the memories I've made fishing and talking about fishing with my friends, and for that, I am thankful.

All the best during the holidays everyone.
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Grateful in 2015

Post by StarTzar »

Great report Andrew.
I was really happy to see you make the Classic this year.
BAA - 2016 Team 18 (10 shy of 28)
Renegade Bass - 2013 Team 67 - 2014 Team 28 - 2015 Team 51
BAA (Great organization) 2011 and 2012 Team 7
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Awesome report Andrew.

Thanks for sharing.
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Beauty!

Lake Champlain is on my list of places I need to fish in 2016.
Oneida has monster lakers and Pulsaki has nice salmon running the streams.

Awesome report!
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

Awesome report!
Really enjoyed reading that Andrew.

2016 letss ggoooo!!!! :mrgreen:
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
PMac
Participant
Participant

Post by PMac »

Awesome report Partner!
I am more than pleased to be part of this journey with you and don't regret a single minute of it!
(Well maybe the time you scared the crap out of me Ka-Kaaa!!!!)
We've had some great laughs, great food and great fishing.
Looking forward to kickin butt and taking names in 2016!!!!!
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Tip-up »

Sweet summary of your season, and some great looking fish too!
plowjock
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by plowjock »

Zeke, I've had a lot of fun watching you fish. talking with you. and now getting you out with me.
There's just so much to the learning curve
Great to see you out with the young guy who first got you thinking about fishing.
While we've been on the water. you've exhibited an open mind and pick up things quickly.
The more time spent on the water chasing multi species, the better you become.
All the Best of the Holiday Season, and remember the waters still soft, and I have room for more fish.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

This is top notch stuff. Thanks for sharing it with us!

RJ
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

From flipping a Jig in a milk crate behind Paddletales, to making the classic!
Leaps and bounds!
Thanks for the recap Zeke!
If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
beachburger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by beachburger »

Thanks for sharing your journey. Lots of nice fish in those pics and no doubt there will be many more in the future.

Doug
If you're gonna be stupid, you'd better be tough.
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by toobinator »

Thanks for the kind words and we are greatfull to have been a small part of the journey, even if it's just verifying what Spencer said. :oops:

Great report

Ed
Save a bass. Eat a chicken
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

..."so my expectations are not so much results based but rather based on improvement and confidence."

Improvement and confidence will obviously bring results. Results will bring improvement and more confidence. It's cyclical. It's also quite introspective, and a challenge you take upon yourself. You have the internal drive to be more successful each time out, and healthy personal expectations. You don't necessarily need competitive fishing at all to be better, not with a focused and yet still competitive mindset. I like this perspective.

Anytime I've bumped into that Corey Gaffney dood on the ice, he seems like a good fella. 8)
zeke13
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by zeke13 »

Moosebunk wrote:..."so my expectations are not so much results based but rather based on improvement and confidence."

Improvement and confidence will obviously bring results. Results will bring improvement and more confidence. It's cyclical. .... 8)
I see what you're saying but I internalize this differently. For me results are irrelevant .. (Hmm .. don't tell Pete I said that :shock: )

I have always been a very competitive person and have played a number of sports at the higher levels. I choose to go into fishing competition for many reasons including
1. Unlike fun fishing there is a time constraint ... the pressure is in the ability to remain calm and make decisions when not only is the time restricted but you have other factors such as teams in spots you want to fish. I think that "having to" and "learning to" make these decisions is not something you do on a fun day of fishing but certainly makes you a better fisherman. Your ability to adapt on the day of the tournament is probably the one thing that separates most teams.
2. I enjoy the camaraderie and the challenge of tackling a problem as a team.

For me I strive for improvement in all aspects of fishing and as I improve, I recognize the improvement and I become more confident in my overall ability. It's in attaining this confidence that I hope become more consistent and to me, this consistency is my ultimate goal. Anyone can go out and fluke out a good day on the water .. the real goal for me is to be able to go out and feel like I can have a good day on every body water (whatever good day means :?: ).

I'm 55, started fishing when I was 52, realistically to attain what I want I should have started when I was 22, but I approach every article, seminar and day on the water with the same goals, "what am I going to improve on today" and that challenge should keep me going for some time!
CyrusG
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by CyrusG »

Great report! Looks like you had a wicked year man!!! :D
Cy