2016 Fishing Goals??

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
kickurbass
Participant
Participant

Re: 2016 Fishing Goals??

Post by kickurbass »

2016 goals.....

take time off from work to fish and explore new body of water
fish the FLW and confront my biggest nightmare.... the ottawa river!
never had success there,2016 is my year of luck!

happy new year fishhawks friends!
Bad day fishing is better then a good day at work!!
BradGuenette
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by BradGuenette »

Catch a bass on a 10" bait :lol: :lol: :lol:
Brad Guenette
Swimbait Canada
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

BradGuenette wrote:Catch a bass on a 10" bait :lol: :lol: :lol:
It's overrated buds. :lol:

toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by toobinator »

I would like to hear about that scare Pete, and also what you have planned for Zeke.
Last edited by toobinator on Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Save a bass. Eat a chicken
zeke13
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by zeke13 »

Well I could write a book on what I'm thinking about for next year but here are a few of them ..

1. Really looking forward to the trip to Lake Champlain (Tyconderoga) as last year there were 14 of us that made the trip and we had a blast on and off the water.
2. Looking forward to May and early June and fishing in New York .. again love fishing new waters and last year had trips to the north end of Champlain and to Lake Oneida.
3. Once the season starts my main focus will be on preparing for the Renegade events. A couple of things on my mind are to focus more on my electronics during pre-fish as opposed to always fishing ... try to slow everything down as I think I get too quick both in the types of baits I'm presenting and how I'm presenting them ... pretty much all of the big fish that I caught this year involved slowing down a normally steady presentation of a lure or using a bait that had a slow presentation.
Keep my partner Pete on his toes .. and if that means scaring the crap outta him .. so be it! :shock:
4. Do a few tourneys, like the new 150 series from Renegade, with a buddy's son that I have been fishing with for a couple of years. I really enjoy watching him develop as a fisherman.
5. Looking forward to next fall, try to get out to some of the less traveled smaller lakes as I really haven't seen many of the non-tournament lakes in this area.
I read plowjocks goal of 1000 fish over the gunnels so I'll probably try to help him with that as well as we had some good times this year :)

All in all, I had a fantastic 2015 on the water, and if I can capture the joy I had this past year again and learn a little more .. that's good enough for me :)
Last edited by zeke13 on Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
zeke13
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by zeke13 »

toobinator wrote:I would like to here about that scare Pete, and also what you have planned for Zeke.
I have no idea what he has planned for me but what happened we were fishing and it was quite quiet, and it had been for a few minutes, when this loon popped up not far from the boat and let out a 'ka-kaaa' that somewhat broke the silence .. not enough to really get Pete's attention but it kinda startled me .. so immediately, at the top of my lungs I screamed 'ka-kaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa'!!! I swear Pete almost fell outta the boat!

Game on buddy!
NMG
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by NMG »

I've decided that 2016 is the year that I dust off the fly rods (haven't seen much use since moving out here from BC about 4 years ago) and get back to chucking fur and feathers instead of plastic and metal. I'm also going to pickup a 10 weight and hit the Rideau and Ottawa and try and get a Musky on the fly.

Should be an interesting year!
Kerrazy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Kerrazy »

What a great question RJ!

This year may see me cover more water and hopefully different bodies of water. Our family recently added a new lap dog that will not likely do so good in a canoe, so I purchased an 18' fishing boat.

It will be fun to try and hit more weekly impromptu tournies, and BoQ is on my bucket list too!

And of course, the equipment will need a little love, with a switch up of rods to higher end gear. I was fortunate to purchase a previously loved G Loomis Rod, and well I am hooked, so will be slowly upgrading starting Monday, with one more for myself and one for my son.

As for the rest, well a by chance visit to Bass Pro gave me a chance to replace some best performer lures and plant seeds for upfitting my boat.

I included a pic of Farley, our new lap dog.
Farley the 125lb lap dog
Farley the 125lb lap dog
image.jpeg (1.82 MiB) Viewed 4012 times
All the best in 2016 to my fellow fish-hawkers!
Kerrazy

"Everyone should believe in something. I believe I'll Go Fishing!"- Thoreau
I'd like to thank my sponsors:
Interac - Be in the Black
Jerry, my neighbour, who foolishly leaves his shed and truck open, so I can try all the latest gear!
CNs
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by CNs »

1) Replace the Champion with a multi-species boat. Love the boat but am not tournament fishing and want something more versatile - although that new Lund 1875 pro-v Bass is nice looking.

2) more pike and walleye fishing this year possibly do some musky hunting as well

3) use more jerkbaits

4) go to different lakes as planned (did not really happen in 2015)
PMac
Participant
Participant

Post by PMac »

Tobinator,
Now if I actually told you what was I planning for Zeke13, it wouldn't be much of a surprise :)

I forgot to mention my other goal was to listen to my fishing partner, he tends to be right a good percentage of the time :o
TyM
Participant
Participant

Post by TyM »

First Post here, Hello everybody!
I'll be spending my year trying for a PB walleye through the ice, and then trying to find a decent trout stream around Lanark/Calabogie.
Would be happy with my first pike on a fly too!
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

This is great stuff. Lots of different goals for folks.

I've set one goal. To get RJ Sr. a 50 inch Muskie. That would make my year.

On a personal level to change things up when I'm fun fishing, I've got a GLoomis Fly rod on order....lord help me. :lol:

RJ
Alex Bull
Participant
Participant

Post by Alex Bull »

Firstly I'm still on the hunt for a fishing partner for the 2016 Renegade Season. If that doesn't work out ill do the Pro-Am and maybe try a few open tournaments. I have always loved the competitive nature of tournament fishing, reminds me of when I used to race motocross.

Secondly, my parent's cottage is on white lake and I try to get up there most weekends. This year I would really like to spend time going around the lake (fishing of course) and trying to get a complete knowledge of that body of water.

I would also like to try and catch a Gar this summer. After talk with RJ about them, it sounds like a very cool fish to try and catch!

But most importantly I always want to have fun on the water.

Cheers!
Alex
BC FD
Participant
Participant

Post by BC FD »

Goals-
Leave on time Feb 18 for Port Charlotte Florida.hopefully with the wife in a good mood.
Mako 203 hanging on the trailer hitch.
Make it to PC without any trouble.
Fish my brains out for almost 2 weeks.
Keep the wife happy
Pick my son up at RSW in Fort Myers for some fishing.
Hopefully not pee pee the wife off to much by being out in the Gulf of Mexico too many days.
Couple of games of golf. With my Dad.
Make it back here with the wife and no trouble.
Boat to Calabogie lake for the rest of the summer with a side trip to Henderson Harbor,NY
Hopefully a few other side trips.Keep the wife happy.
Go visit Ed at Paddletales a few times.
See what other trouble I can get into.
But most of all,keep the wife happy. Did I mention this yet??
To all Fish-hawhers a safe and Happy New year of fishing
Mitch
Erie-Eyes
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Erie-Eyes »

A great thread RJ.

I'm a little different from most of the bass fisher's on this site, but I grew up chasing walleye's on the Lower Detroit River/Lake Erie and I continue to spend my retirement years chasing my name sake - I can't help myself - just a character flaw, I guess - LOL. I'm still looking for that elusive 14+ pounder, and I hope to make as many of my usual events in 2016 as possible. I make an annual spring trip to BOQ, an annual summer trip home to Detroit River/Lake Erie, as many of the 10 Ottawa Region Walleye League events as possible, plus 2-3 trips to BOQ each fall - lots of miles in a season all in the pursuit of Waldo.

As a change of pace, I also have a weakness for spring Brownies on Lake Ontario in April if weather permits - nothing like that first spring trip in Erie-Eyes on a beautiful April day on Lake Ontario.

So much water, so little time - LOL.

Good Fishing in 2016 everyone & may your goals all be reached.