Shirley's bay 2016

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
RyanW
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Shirley's bay 2016

Post by RyanW »

---
Last edited by RyanW on Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
613 Ice Fishing
On Facebook
Wallybanger10
Participant
Participant

Post by Wallybanger10 »

Just a heads up that Sail is having a no tax sale right now.. most of the flashers are also on sale.
kliven
Participant
Participant

Post by kliven »

Went out today as well (for the first time ever), and met Choke, who gave me some awesome tips about keeping minnows alive.

Trekked out on the ice at 3:30pm, and stayed a bit longer than Choke - till after dark (around 7:00pm). No bites for the first few hours, then half an hour after sundown, we got a double header. Caught a small 12 inch walleye, and a huge ling that put up a helleva fight. It couldn't fit through the 6 inch hole we drilled, so we decided just to cut the line and let it go. Then about 30 minutes later, we hit another ling that also could not fit through our ice holes (I swear, it was the same fish).

Overall, aside from the biting wind, it was a pleasant first ice-fishing trip. =D Might head out sometime during the weekend too, but it looks a little yucky. Anyone else planning on going?
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

kliven wrote:Went out today as well (for the first time ever), and met Choke, who gave me some awesome tips about keeping minnows alive.

Trekked out on the ice at 3:30pm, and stayed a bit longer than Choke - till after dark (around 7:00pm). No bites for the first few hours, then half an hour after sundown, we got a double header. Caught a small 12 inch walleye, and a huge ling that put up a helleva fight. It couldn't fit through the 6 inch hole we drilled, so we decided just to cut the line and let it go. Then about 30 minutes later, we hit another ling that also could not fit through our ice holes (I swear, it was the same fish).

Overall, aside from the biting wind, it was a pleasant first ice-fishing trip. =D Might head out sometime during the weekend too, but it looks a little yucky. Anyone else planning on going?
That's awesome! Those Ling sound huge. The Ling may be spawning... Should peak around the full moon.
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

Ice measured today (i am one of the east most huts ) at 16 inches, up from 13 last week.

Horrible driving, i couldn't reach my hut, to much slush and deep drifts.

Will be back tonight for the big ling.
rodbreaker
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by rodbreaker »

Got out today for a bit.18 inches of ice.Forget about taking a car out,4x4 only.Deep slushy mess right now.
Slow day with only one small eye.
Dirty....mean....mighty unclean.
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

Spent Saturday Night on the Bay joined by my brother from Toronto who claims that he is totally jinxed when it comes to fishing. Also joined by Kliven for a couple hours.

Together we fished hard and came up pretty much empty with one small Saugeye, two ling (one caught at 8:00pm, the other at 3:30am... with NO bites in between!!!) and two tiny perch.

Altogether an incredibly slow night, the worst I have had this year.

I guess my brother really is jinxed :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

To top it off... any video I did capture of the night was lost when my brother dropped my new GoPro down one of the ice holes. It wasn't even in the waterproof case. Sigh. An expensive night for sure.

The water on the ice is very deep in places, you really want your tallest rubber boots out there.
Netman
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Netman »

scarkner wrote: To top it off... any video I did capture of the night was lost when my brother dropped my new GoPro down one of the ice holes. It wasn't even in the waterproof case. Sigh. An expensive night for sure.
I know the feeling and it sux. I lost an iPhone down the hole one night and I'm sure my expletives could be heard around the lake :lol: :lol: Sorry about your luck
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

[quote="scarkner]

Together we fished hard and came up pretty much empty with one small Saugeye, two ling (one caught at 8:00pm, the other at 3:30am... with NO bites in between!!!) and two tiny perch.

[/quote]

Saugeye? You sure...never heard of anyone catching these around here... I was thinking about asking to see a Picture until I heard about your GoPro :shock:
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

zippyfx wrote:
Saugeye? You sure...never heard of anyone catching these around here... I was thinking about asking to see a Picture until I heard about your GoPro :shock:
Yup - The Saugeye picture is at the bottom of the river. But I am also 100% sure it was a hybrid.

It had mottling on it's sides that turned very dark soon after being caught and distinct polka-dots on the dorsal fin, measured perhaps 16-17 inches long. So I argued it was a Sauger.
My brother noted the white spot that was absolutely clear and distinct on the bottom of the tail. Not a scar, not a fungus infection, but a clear white "walleye" spot.

Apparently 2-3% of the population of Sauger and Walleye are typically hybrids when both species are present in the same water body.

Quote from "Outdoor first":
Saugeyes have variable body markings and coloration, but generally look like the sauger, with saddles and blotches more subdued. In saugeyes, membranes of the spinous dorsal fin have distinct spots similar to those of a sauger. A black blotch is also usually present at the posterior base of the spinous dorsal fin, like the walleye. In saugeyes, a white spot is usually present at the tip of the lower caudal fin, also similar to walleyes
fishingcarpenter
Participant
Participant

Post by fishingcarpenter »

I've 100% caught several saugeyes out of the Ottawa river in and around Shirleys bay... With the amount of Saugers around its no wonder!

Anyway, I had a relatively slow evening on Saturday as well, was only out for a couple hours caught a wee Sauger and my buddy caught a 28 inch pike on a light rod in the shack! That was a good fight!
BackwoodsFishing
Participant
Participant

Post by BackwoodsFishing »

Went out yesterday from 2-630 with two buddies. Very slow dayanged to land two small perch and one small eye and missed another small one on the ice. Got afew other light taps but nothing crazy. Also caught them all on set lines which is normally not the case.
Lenny
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Lenny »

Been a slow year at Shirley's for me. I was out saturday from 4-6 and caught one 14 inch walleye and a few dinks. Left a little earlier than planned as I wasn't in a hut and didn't dress warmly enough. Seems like there are more perch around this year. Those little ones are a real pain. I was talking to one lad on the ice who told me that someone from the MNR told him to kill all the ling he caught since they were invasive and affected walleye stocks. First I've heard of that before. I think it will be the last time I fish there this year. Time to explore new places, Shirley's is a good place for eating sized fish but bored of catching small fish.
RyanW
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by RyanW »

------
Last edited by RyanW on Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
613 Ice Fishing
On Facebook
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by Gord »

Lenny wrote:I was talking to one lad on the ice who told me that someone from the MNR told him to kill all the ling he caught since they were invasive and affected walleye stocks.
I find this ridiculous. Ling are not invasive, nor do they impact walleye stocks. :| :|

I know one thing about ling though......THEY TASTE BLOODY GLORIOUS!!! :D :D
I'm a goin' fishin', mama's goin' fishin' and my baby's goin fishin' too.

.......Taj Mahal.... "Fishin' Blues"