Shirley's bay 2016

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Peron
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Shirley's bay 2016

Post by Peron »

Was out from about 4 to 5:30. I would have stayed later but I didn't bring my pop up out since the latest I could be there tonight was 6:30 and I thought I would be fine but it got pretty unpleasant. I have been lulled into a false sense of security by the tropical January weather!

I was about 50 yards north of scarkner's shack. I had one bite right at the beginning but from talking to a few others on the ice, that put me ahead of all of them. Really, really slow.... I would have braved another hour if the bite was on.

Things may be very different after tomorrow depending on what the weather decides to do!

Rod
LifeIsntWasted
Participant
Participant

Post by LifeIsntWasted »

I had wanted to get out today, but realized I had no propane for my buddy heater and had apparently left my minnow bucket outside from my trip to Cobden on Sunday and those little guys were frozen heh.

Doesn't sound like I missed much today then.
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by Gord »

gonna be tough going out there now......think we got enough snow?? :o :shock: :o :| :cry: :x
I'm a goin' fishin', mama's goin' fishin' and my baby's goin fishin' too.

.......Taj Mahal.... "Fishin' Blues"
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

Gord wrote:gonna be tough going out there now......think we got enough snow?? :o :shock: :o :| :cry: :x
Something tells me that we aren't going to see any more Saturns and Honda-Civics on the ice this year :-)

Crossing fingers that I can get my Tacoma out there on the weekend with my 70+ yr old dad! He is itching to go ice fishing, but no way is he going to make the hike to my shack on foot :-(
fishingcarpenter
Participant
Participant

Post by fishingcarpenter »

Finally going to be able to really test out the chains/lift kit on my fourwheeler!
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by Gord »

scarkner wrote:Something tells me that we aren't going to see any more Saturns and Honda-Civics on the ice this year :-)
.....but you know they'll still try.....they always do...... :lol: :lol:

Yakster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Yakster »

And they usually find out on the ramp....gridlock!
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

fishingcarpenter wrote:Finally going to be able to really test out the chains/lift kit on my fourwheeler!
That should be fun. You'll never know what it can do until you get it stuck. ;)

There's still a strong wind out there and it's now NNW which will pound the drifts into the shoreline. I can see it being real bad out there getting on the ice. Even for a 4X4 to create the initial road out and then deal with further drifts out to all the shacks. Another thing to consider is with the weight of all that snow it will likely push a lot of water on to the top of the ice and create major slush. That could really make it hard everywhere, even the back lakes.

Good luck to all those with shacks out there. Hopefully I'm wrong but this is one major dump we got. A record they say.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
Wallybanger10
Participant
Participant

Post by Wallybanger10 »

I was out there all day yesterday in the snow storm.. I wouldn't recommend bringing vehicles out there unless someone has a plow. Some pretty good snow drifts accumulated during the day between the shacks and the ramp, a few up to my knees. Even the parking lot was messy for anyone who doesn't have a truck but I'm sure the city will have to swing in there and clean it up. Perch were biting again but that's it!
RyanW
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by RyanW »

---
Last edited by RyanW on Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
613 Ice Fishing
On Facebook
Yakster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Yakster »

Parking is clear and so is the ramp....lots of snow out there and there seems to be a new presure ride just out past the last huts forming....might make QC beer runs a little tougher.
if the wind picks up you'll be well insulated in no time in a pop up
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

I sure hope to get out this weekend, plan to spend Saturday overnight on the ice... it could be a pretty amazing night for fishing:

1) Low pressure system coming in.
2) Full moon with the PEAK brightness right at midnight (although how much light gets through the snow cover, i dunno).
3) Mild temperatures
4) Low wind (especially Sunday mid morning).

Please keep posting if anyone is getting out on the ice. Were there ANY vehicles out there today?
Yakster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Yakster »

Tire tracks on the ramp only, pretty sure it's going to be a slushy mess underneath and turn into the same mess as two years ago.
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by Gord »

With the amount of snow we had, you can be SURE that slush is under all that snow. The only things that will be going out there now are snowmobiles or snowshoes. :wink: :(

scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

I was out to my shack today. Definitely need 4x4, but actually didn't have too much trouble (I just have a little Tacoma, it normally struggles in the snow on the ice, so if I could make it out there then guys with F150's, etc. will have no problem). So there will likely be lots of people on the ice this weekend and lots of paths.

Someone has made a very nice plowed path way out onto the ice, and you can tell who did it by the shack that it stops at :-)

I also took my snow blower out and cleared around my hut, but it was slow going due to the slush so my plans to clear a few more trails didn't happen.

Strangely, there are still some patches here and there of bare ice, especially in the lee of some of the shacks. The ice there is treacherously slippery. I thought i had broken a rib when I fell on my snow-shovel this morning. Turns out it was the wooden handle that made a loud "snap" noise :o