Shirley's bay 2016

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
RyanW
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Shirley's bay 2016

Post by RyanW »

----
Last edited by RyanW on Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
613 Ice Fishing
On Facebook
Peron
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Shirley's bay 2016

Post by Peron »

What depth were you at and was there any large signs? I am going out tomorrow and I will probably use 1 large bait high and 1 small bait deep. I know the first ice can be pretty good but a little weird this year so I am unsure if I should be using small bait exclusively right now.

Thanks,

Rod
rodbreaker
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by rodbreaker »

Yeah I'm heading out there in the morning,I suspect it's gonna be busy!
Dirty....mean....mighty unclean.
RyanW
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by RyanW »

------
Last edited by RyanW on Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
613 Ice Fishing
On Facebook
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Peron wrote:What depth were you at and was there any large signs? I am going out tomorrow and I will probably use 1 large bait high and 1 small bait deep. I know the first ice can be pretty good but a little weird this year so I am unsure if I should be using small bait exclusively right now.
Thanks,
Rod
Rod you may get the odd pike up higher but for perch and pickeral you definitely want to be real close to the bottom, like less than a foot IMO. In fact I would suggest within a couple of inches if using live minnows for picks. I've seen it proved plenty enough times out there. It literally can make all the difference between catching fish and getting skunked.
Good luck out there tomorrow. Best advice I can offer is If Walleye is your main target then you absolutely need to fish from 4 till 6 or even later. Just as the sun hits the horizon is the magic hour. :) By far my best success out there has been with 3-4 inch lively shiners.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

there is ONE shack up at Shirleys and lots of people fishing this morning. Ice range from 9-12 inches.

BUT - There is a huge mound of pure ice on the entrance ramp, the mound is about 2 feet high. There is enough of a gap between the ice mound and the rock wall to get a small truck through (when the ice is thick enough). The gap is about 5 1/2 feet at most. However, if you have a larger truck, considering bringing a pick-axe to try to break up that hump (I will bring one tomorrow morning and take a few whacks at it too, but it may take a few people). Otherwise access will be brutal this year.

Near shore is a lot of broken up ice chunks, so quite rough. It will be driveable but will make draging a shack by hand tough.

I am going to try anyway!!! I will be launching my shack tomorrow morning, probably at 10am
Last edited by scarkner on Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peron
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Peron »

Decided to stay away from Shirley's today since I have a cold and I didn't feel like the long hike so I went to Dick Bell (inner side). Just got back. Ice is 6 to 10 inches although not as clear as SB from what I read. The bite was light but there was a bite. I went big high (since I have a lot of large minnows to use up) and small on the bottom. Perch deep and I had a decent pike on the big minnow but I mishandled it near the hole. Call it opening day jitters.... Plus I got a new reel that cost more but it sucks. My el-cheap-o c-tire combos handle the cold better.

I will see if I can get out for "magic hour" tomorrow if I feel better but I think it will be crowded. Interested to see the walleye reports for SB.
Rod
Downshift
Participant
Participant

Post by Downshift »

Hey guys, new to Ottawa, where is the best spot to park if I head out to check the bay out?
rodbreaker
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by rodbreaker »

Just got back from sbay.
A few huts out and some guys sitting in the freezing ice/rain.Managed 2 small perch but I think I was too shallow?
Ice was 10 inches with some of it pretty clear.Crazy slippery under the fresh snow so be carefull.
Dirty....mean....mighty unclean.
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Downshift wrote:Hey guys, new to Ottawa, where is the best spot to park if I head out to check the bay out?
Plenty of parking there. No worries.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Peron wrote:I will see if I can get out for "magic hour" tomorrow if I feel better but I think it will be crowded.
Crowding is not a problem out there Rod. Tons of room
scarkner wrote:However, if you have a larger truck, considering bringing a pick-axe to try to break up that hump (I will bring one tomorrow morning and take a few whacks at it too, but it may take a few people). Otherwise access will be brutal this year.
Pretty sure Tim is bringing a chainsaw tomorrow to work at those ice chunks

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
RyanW
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by RyanW »

-----
Last edited by RyanW on Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
613 Ice Fishing
On Facebook
otownyaker
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by otownyaker »

Choke when are you going out? I could use my first ice fishing adventure
OTownYaker
613 Ice Fishing team
O-Town Fishing Adventures
Wallybanger10
Participant
Participant

Post by Wallybanger10 »

Be safe out there!

Snowmobiler falls through ice near Constance Bay ow.ly/XbS2Q #ottnews
RyanW
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by RyanW »

-----
Last edited by RyanW on Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
613 Ice Fishing
On Facebook