Shirley's bay 2016

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Yakster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Shirley's bay 2016

Post by Yakster »

I'll be there around 2-:30 didn't pack a sledge but will slice and dice as much i can
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Anyone with a shack fishing during the day tomorrow?
Have room for 1?

Never been here.
tmacinc
Participant
Participant

Post by tmacinc »

How far of a walk out would it be to where people are fishing? I've never fished Shirley's bay but may give it a shot next week and I'll be walking to the spot.
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

You get perch in the shallow water about 200m from shore, the majority of the huts are 500-600m from shore, some people go a full 1-2km to reach the deeper water. It is a very slow gentle drop. Check the Navionics website for depth chart (free) before you go.
Peron
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Peron »

Just got back from an hour of fishing at a spot hear Britannia. 8-10" of mediocre ice but safe for foot traffic and there were skidoo tracks. One single bite that resulted in a 24" pike. Exciting fight since he picked my light panfish Rod with a tiny minnow instead of the rig I had set for pike. Cheap reel so the drag had practically two modes.... Snap Rod/line or play out all the line. :shock:

Posted under Shirleys since where I was there was a large band of about 6 to 12 feet of fresh seepage ice all along the shore and it Had me a little skittish. since I want to take my boy to Shirleys tomorrow I was wondering about the ice edge there?

Oh yes and any Intel on the daytime bite at SB would be useful (shallow or deeper).

Rod
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

For those not that familiar with Shirleys this will give you an idea of what it's like. My normal preference is the transition zone from the blue to white that parallels the causeway out by the islands or else find that depression further out and fish the 10 -15 ft ledge. But by far my favourite area is the 7-12 ft zone out along Innes Point for those that are willing to travel the 1.5 miles out. Totally rocky out there so it's sometimes necessary to move holes around and find that honey hole.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
Peron
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Peron »

The water levels are definitely higher than normal right now. I was showing tbone my navionics app on my phone at SB on the weekend and we were in the 6 to 7 foot area and we were measuring over 10 with our lines.
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by CCLad »

Just a word of caution regarding the ice at Shirley's. If you look at the nav map posted above, there is thin-dangerous ice (always in this area due to currant) to the east of the point on the right side of the launch shore line (Where the sailing club anchor their boats in the summer) (or to the bottom right area looking at the chart above). The ice is much thinner there than anywhere in the front or north of the launch. Found this out first hand may many years ago... we were fishing further out towards the channel with about a foot and a half of solid ice - moved to this area to try a new spot and punched through maybe 5 inches. I believe a truck went through there a couple of seasons ago - Given this years ice conditions you couldn't pay me to go any where near that area.....
On a side note, went out wed with my buddy and we caught 5 walleye, mostly all small, 2 perch and a ling.

Any who - be safe and have fun
CCLad.
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

Great day out on the ice today. Very busy!

Once one truck ventured on the ice, it was like floodgates opening up with a bunch of trucks and jeeps out there. We had to flag down and stop one driver who was on less than 12 inches, and watched helplessly as a guy in a jeep drove very fast down the shoreline to the east into the known high-current thin-ice area. No one went through but I have never seen the water come gushing up through my ice fishing holes quite so strongly!

Be safe, take it slow, and know how thick the ice is :-)
Wallybanger10
Participant
Participant

Post by Wallybanger10 »

How was the bite for you out there today? It was very quiet in my shelter haha.. maybe next time!
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

Pretty quiet - had a solid bump pull one of my tip-downs in the shack so hard that it smacked on the floor - the people next door caught a pike, so I suspect it was the same fish.

Couple of perch.

No wallys :-(
LifeIsntWasted
Participant
Participant

Post by LifeIsntWasted »

I only hooked two tiny perch through the afternoon and then this little guy at 5:30, Hopefully next time I catch him he has grown a bit. Felt a few other bumps on the line but nothing solid came through.

After that little walleye I didn't mark another fish for the next hour or so and went home. Sucked there were no keepers but I've been completely skunked the last few times I've gone out so it was a nice.

I was surprised by the number of trucks out there today though, I think I counted nine.

PikeFisherman17
Participant
Participant

Post by PikeFisherman17 »

Was out yesterday and it was a quiet day, only a couple small perch. Where is the west-end fishing community getting their live bait from? Have used Bits and Baits in Stittsville for years but unfortunately not anymore. Are people making the trip out to Manotick?
OntarioRider
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by OntarioRider »

PikeFisherman17 wrote:Was out yesterday and it was a quiet day, only a couple small perch. Where is the west-end fishing community getting their live bait from? Have used Bits and Baits in Stittsville for years but unfortunately not anymore. Are people making the trip out to Manotick?
There is also Baitcasters in Carleton Place.
RyanW
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by RyanW »

---/-
Last edited by RyanW on Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
613 Ice Fishing
On Facebook