Brookies and Bows

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
avidangler
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Brookies and Bows

Post by avidangler »

So I'm heading to Calabogie this weekend to see if I can get into some Brook trout and Rainbows. I have very little experience fishing these trout and have no clue where to start in regards to depth and lure selection. I'm wondering if anyone would be willing to share some general tips on where to look and what to use. I have some experience fishing splake and will bring what Ive used to catch them which is just small minnows and worms.
Money can't buy you happiness but it can buy you fishing gear and that's kinda the same thing.
Eli
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Brookies and Bows

Post by Eli »

I thought it was whatsthiscarp...?

For brook trout...
I've had success with the smallest marmooska jigs (?1/64oz) tipped with a maggot.
Suspending a piece of worm in 3-4 FOW works sometimes at low light.
2lb straight fluoro.
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Tip-up »

Same concept as splake. Minnows and worms are staple live bait on most back lakes, especially if you plan to put out a second set line. Even while jigging and trout are in a real aggressive mood, I learned real quick a few weeks ago how hesitant they can be to bite a spoon with no meat. Keep everything real simple and be very quiet. If you can read a lake well the good locations will catch your eye. Trout move around a lot so they will eventually show up sometime in your area, its just getting them to bite lol.

For brook trout, shoreline oriented structure like laydown trees and points will have fish around. I normally don't fish deeper than 15 ft, but know of some real big brook trout caught out of highland lakes in 20fow. Typically the shallow bite is more productive so its important to make sure you look down your hole in advance before setting up. It can save a lot of hassle and the last thing you want is to set-up over a huge log or branch to give the fish any chance to escape in the shallow cover.

I typically like to target rainbows in 15-30FOW with a spoon or micro jig and put a set-line just under the ice. Like a foot under the ice. Minnows always take the bigger bows. Small dace or shiners are best, no bigger than 2''. Dace preferred.

Also line wise I wouldn't go any less than 6lbs fluorocarbon on most occasions for brook trout. Seen too many big brookies lost on 2-3lbs line. 4lbs would be ok in some cases and for rainbows in deep water where there is no chance to get a fish hung up... I just don't take the chance with the brook trout. You never know when your going to hook into a 3lbs+ fish. Braid-leader works just as well if in a shack and it's hard to beat jigging a spoon, panfish jig or tube for trout.

Good luck!
avidangler
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by avidangler »

Thank you gentlemen. Your insight is quite appreciated and hopefully gets me onto some trout. It's nice to be pointed in the right direction at least. Eli, you found me!
Money can't buy you happiness but it can buy you fishing gear and that's kinda the same thing.