Bass Pro buying Cabelas - Effect in Ottawa???

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Bass Pro buying Cabelas - Effect in Ottawa???

Post by scarkner »

Crap crap crap...

We know that Bass Pro said they were going to setup in Ottawa and then pulled the plug (I haven't shopped there since).

We know that Cabela's is moving forward on an ottawa location... BUT...

What happens if Bass Pro buys Cabelas? Not only do I think prices on outdoors gear are going to go up due to the reduced competition, but could we also see Bass Pro shut-down the work that Cabelas has already started in Ottawa???

Reuters has confirmed that Bass Pro is considering an offer. It's not really idle speculation as Cabela's publically announced in November that they were actively seeking to sell the chain.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-cabel ... sinessNews
fishin mission
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Bass Pro buying Cabelas - Effect in Ottawa???

Post by fishin mission »

the shell for the 70.000 sq ft building is up and being built as we speak chances of that being cancelled are really slim.
As far as prices going up ....i sure hope you didn't expect prices to go down i mean seriously everything is on the way up and is going to continue going up. Bring on the new suppliers i can't wait ......Pro Bass or Cabelas i will continue shopping from them there stores rock big time.
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

Old news, sorry!
What "rocks" big time, is Paddletales prices on the newly added Daiwa line up, both rods and reels.
Even when competing with big box stores, Ed still has the lowest prices.
If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
fishin mission
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by fishin mission »

How much did Ed pay you to post that? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

Apologies for posting the old news link - there was a NYtimes blurb about it today that linked to the old article.

The new article (posted a few hours ago) basically just said that there is confirmation that it is still under consideration. In November it seemed like a longer shot, but once you get the financiers involved, it starts to look a lot more real...
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

scarkner wrote:Apologies for posting the old news link - there was a NYtimes blurb about it today that linked to the old article.

The new article (posted a few hours ago) basically just said that there is confirmation that it is still under consideration. In November it seemed like a longer shot, but once you get the financiers involved, it starts to look a lot more real...
I went a little trigger happy with my comment, sorry.
Worked on a few shop drawings…It was for a Cabelas, haven’t heard anything since last December, or maybe we just lost the bid, who knows!

Regardless, it’s my understanding that prices won’t be cheap if indeed it’s a BPS, especially with our dollar plummeting.
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Why do we care?

6 of one and half a dozen of the other.

Just another "store".

Rona, Home Depot and Lowes seem to do well.

I'm sure our local stores will continue to thrive also.

Nothing to see here.
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

I actually don't care too much if it's a Bass Pro or a Cabela's here in Ottawa (heck, I'd take a Dick's Sporting Goods or a Gander Mountain too). I am just hoping that we get one of them. So I don't think it's a six-of-one situation, more like a zero-of-zero right now.

I love paddletails, but a 2-hour round trip from Ottawa is hard to do...
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

scarkner wrote:I actually don't care too much if it's a Bass Pro or a Cabela's here in Ottawa (heck, I'd take a Dick's Sporting Goods or a Gander Mountain too). I am just hoping that we get one of them. So I don't think it's a six-of-one situation, more like a zero-of-zero right now.

I love paddletails, but a 2-hour round trip from Ottawa is hard to do...
We have

Lebaron
Sail
Paddletails
Bennetts
SportsAction
Oziles
Every Canadian Tire
Every WalMart

SO BP or Cabela's is opening soon.....

Like we don't have enough places to shop for fishing and hunting gear.

Just curious how it is Zero-to-Zero?
fishin mission
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by fishin mission »

Sport action doesn't exist anymore. If you buy tackle from Walmart or Canadian tire your paying 3 times the price for no selection

Bring on the big guns!
biggs
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by biggs »

fishin mission wrote:Sport action doesn't exist anymore. If you buy tackle from Walmart or Canadian tire your paying 3 times the price for no selection

Bring on the big guns!
It moved to Hogs Back but it might as well not exist.
fishin mission
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by fishin mission »

OK thanks Biggs didn't know they moved to hogs back i noticed they are gone from the St-Laurent location. And ya your right they might as well not exist........ guy tried to charge me a $1.50 surcharge for worms because i was using my debit card ,,,,,,,SERIOUSLY
That was the last time i did business with him and never again rather drive to Rockland and buy from Charlie's than buy anything from him.

Should be called sports NO action.............. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
bl8ant
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bl8ant »

Scarkner asks how the possible purchase of Cabelas by BPS will affect the store opening in Ottawa. Yeah the topic has been discussed before-I get that-but what's with the responses guys, is this some kind of joke?

Why would we need a BPS if we have Canadian Tire and Walmart? If you ask this question honestly then you make a good point by proving that you do not need a Bass Pro Shops. For those who prefer shopping at an enormous specialty store that offers unparalleled selection of in stock items you will most likely prefer Bass Pro.

The guy trying to charge $1.50 surcharge for a debit transaction is because otherwise it comes out of his pocket. It costs him for you to use debit. That is something the big box stores absorb as a whole on total sales-something a small business owner cannot do. So as you see here, if you want the cheapest deal possible for a low cost item maybe a massive box store is more to your liking or a small business willing to make little to no profit on something like worms.

Constantly bringing up Ed and Paddletales in every thread about BPS/Cabelas is getting older than the threads themselves. If you like to support local business instead of big box stores, I get that. Let's not just create some illusion that a store like Bass Pro could never hope to match the prices of an independently owned specialty store. There are reasons people will prefer to frequent Paddletales over BPS just like I prefer going to Starbucks over Tim Hortons. I have my doubts that Ed is planning to venture in to the clothing business and have Gore Tex rain gear manufactured under the Paddletales brand to compete with BPS 100 mph rain suits.

Would just be nice to look at the facts
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

Maybe its just me but I seem to feel that lebaron inventory has started to thin out since the announcement last year. Seems like they are doing tighter inventory managment. Though, it may be unrelated, they still have a great selection.
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

bl8ant wrote: Constantly bringing up Ed and Paddletales in every thread about BPS/Cabelas is getting older than the threads themselves. If you like to support local business instead of big box stores, I get that. Let's not just create some illusion that a store like Bass Pro could never hope to match the prices of an independently owned specialty store. There are reasons people will prefer to frequent Paddletales over BPS just like I prefer going to Starbucks over Tim Hortons. I have my doubts that Ed is planning to venture in to the clothing business and have Gore Tex rain gear manufactured under the Paddletales brand to compete with BPS 100 mph rain suits.

Would just be nice to look at the facts
Sean,

I bring up Paddletales, first and foremost, because Ed has given back to the community in more ways than imaginable.
I’m sure this also applies to other local mom&pop stores, but I’m expressing my views based on personal experience.

Big box stores don’t necessarily equate to negatives, hence clothing lines and apparel.
As for selection, I find box stores, like Sail, to lack immensely once a product runs out.

Facts are, smaller business might get overshadowed in all the excitement and hoorahs of these so called big box stores, so when I see these threads show up, I tend to nurture and highlight Paddletales for the above mentioned reasons.

That being said, I’d be lying if I said I strictly bought from Paddletales, but over a decade, I can honestly say 80% of my tackle was purchased from Ed.

If it gets old, then so be it.

P.S. Ed can you order in undies? No worries if you can’t, I’ll just hit my local Wal-Mart.