Val-des-Monts, Surrounding lakes?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
SmokeyFume
Participant
Participant

Val-des-Monts, Surrounding lakes?

Post by SmokeyFume »

Hi all,

I was thinking about heading into Quebec to try out some ice fishing around Val-des-Monts. I will attempt to catch some trout. I'm planning on fishing over the weekend and trying out different lakes. I have never fished the surrounding lakes at Val-des-Monts. I've been wanting to catch some trout for a long while now. I'm ready to find my honey hole. My question is, Are most of these lakes public? Or can some be private?
Thanks,
Smokey.
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Re: Val-des-Monts, Surrounding lakes?

Post by Tip-up »

Don't want to burst your bubble but you will have to wait until April to find your honey hole. Trout in Quebec are closed.

On the same note I would say that 90% of the lakes in that area are also private, no access lakes unless you are a acquaintance of a cottage or land owner . I fish Lac Grand during bass season, and know all to well about the cottagers in that area. Pike, walleye, bass and panfish are plentiful on lakes you are allowed to fish.

There are lakes to fish in the area of Val-des-monts, though trout is not an option.

Good luck in your pursuit for trout! May I suggest you try the Madawaska and Lanark Highlands. Fish-online tool can help tremendously in your search :D

Andrew
qcconnection
Participant
Participant

Post by qcconnection »

What Tip-Up just said is both true and false.

Tout season is for the most part closed in Quebec.

However, there are some lakes, that, through an agreement with the Quebec government are stocked with trout by the governing municipality. These lakes are in fact open for " winter fishing " from December20 until March 31. A list of the lakes, their municipality and even GPS coordinates can be found on the Quebec MNR website under the section " Fishing Restriction ". There is also a 1-800 number you can call. The list of lakes will be under the " Water bodies- Exceptions" header. Here's the link http://peche.faune.gouv.qc.ca/?lang=en# ... droit=null

I was on one of the smaller lakes listed there 3 weeks ago with a friend and another gentleman was fishing not far away. The game wardens stopped by, checked our licenses and shot the breeze for a bit about the fishing and took off.
SmokeyFume
Participant
Participant

Post by SmokeyFume »

I should have done more research for some reason I though it may be open. Thanks for letting me know. I will check out those spots you mentioned. I'm going to get those trout one day 8-)
SmokeyFume
Participant
Participant

Post by SmokeyFume »

qcconnection wrote:What Tip-Up just said is both true and false.

Tout season is for the most part closed in Quebec.

However, there are some lakes, that, through an agreement with the Quebec government are stocked with trout by the governing municipality. These lakes are in fact open for " winter fishing " from December20 until March 31. A list of the lakes, their municipality and even GPS coordinates can be found on the Quebec MNR website under the section " Fishing Restriction ". There is also a 1-800 number you can call. The list of lakes will be under the " Water bodies- Exceptions" header. Here's the link http://peche.faune.gouv.qc.ca/?lang=en# ... droit=null

I was on one of the smaller lakes listed there 3 weeks ago with a friend and another gentleman was fishing not far away. The game wardens stopped by, checked our licenses and shot the breeze for a bit about the fishing and took off.
Great! Thanks, any luck!

EDIT: Lac Vert was actually the Lake I was planning on going to tomorrow. They're promising some crazy weather though.
qcconnection
Participant
Participant

Post by qcconnection »

Just make sure it's the right lac Vert. There are several.
jiggy
Participant
Participant

Post by jiggy »

Squaw lake outfitters is open in winter.. grey trout fishing.
emeraldpirate
Participant
Participant

Post by emeraldpirate »

Here's a site you can check out that indicates the lakes that you can access to legally ice fish in Qc: http://carte.allonspecher.com/ just click on the "peche hivernale" box for your search and zoom into the area you'd like to fish in and it 'll show you the different lakes open for ice fishing and the species in the lake.

Good luck!