Walleye on the Rideau - Ottawa

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
OxtongueBasser
Participant
Participant

Walleye on the Rideau - Ottawa

Post by OxtongueBasser »

Hi all!

I am born and raised in the Peterborough area and this is my first post in Fish-Hawk! I have been a student in Ottawa for years now but never through the summer as my job is with the government in Peterborogh. This summer, however I may be shacking up in Ottawa all year round and hoping to nail some Walleye the first couple weeks of the opener.

Being from the Peterborough area I am an avid Walleye and Bass fisherman. Opening day for Walleye on the treat severn waterway is nuts! However, I am curious as to the Walleye opening weekend conditions in the Ottawa area, specifically the Rideau canal around the Carleton University area. Wondering if I should try my luck in the moving waters around Hog's back falls or the Bronson bridge? If I would have luck walking distance from Carleton that would be awesome!

What are the local's thoughts!?

Cheers.
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Re: Walleye on the Rideau - Ottawa

Post by Wallyboss »

I've caught many walleyes on the Rideau just east of where the O train bridge is now at Carleton U. But this was many years ago but i am sure that the walleyes are still around.
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
BackwoodsFishing
Participant
Participant

Post by BackwoodsFishing »

I'm a recent graduate from Carleton myself and I've fished the river under the otrain bridge with some success for them over the years. It takes some time but they are there
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by Gord »

I used to fish from Hog's Back down to Billings Bridge constantly back in the '80s. Walleye were there for sure. Got some real beauts from under the Heron Road Bridge. Hog's Back and below the O-Train bridge always produced as well. :D :D .....I miss those days! :lol:
I'm a goin' fishin', mama's goin' fishin' and my baby's goin fishin' too.

.......Taj Mahal.... "Fishin' Blues"
OxtongueBasser
Participant
Participant

Post by OxtongueBasser »

Beauty, great to hear!!

What time of year were you finding most success; Spring I would guess? And choice of lure for this area...?

- Nick
Peron
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Peron »

They are still around. My boy caught one at hogs back in the very late fall (when there should have been ice.... :D
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by Gord »

proulxnick wrote:What time of year were you finding most success; Spring I would guess? And choice of lure for this area...?
My best success was in the fall. I did have some in the spring, when water levels were low. When it's blasting through there, its a tough fish. I/4 oz. chartreuse jighead w/yellow twister did all the damage back then. I'd use a 3" GULP ALIVE smelt on the same jig if I went now......ALWAYS deadly! :wink: :)
I'm a goin' fishin', mama's goin' fishin' and my baby's goin fishin' too.

.......Taj Mahal.... "Fishin' Blues"
OxtongueBasser
Participant
Participant

Post by OxtongueBasser »

The eyes love the scented grubs that's for sure! As for the water levels, I can probably get the plastic lower with maybe a half oz head on it!

Thanks again.
tbone1088
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by tbone1088 »

When the Rideau is high its usually muddy, very hard fish when its like that. For walleyes u should stick to the Ottawa, much more stable fishing. Rideau is GREAT for sb and big muskies ;)
OxtongueBasser
Participant
Participant

Post by OxtongueBasser »

tbone1088 wrote:When the Rideau is high its usually muddy, very hard fish when its like that. For walleyes u should stick to the Ottawa, much more stable fishing. Rideau is GREAT for sb and big muskies ;)
Yes I know the Ottawa is the better of the two choices for sure and I will be trying there in the opening weeks. I just wanted a more convenient location with less fishing traffic. :P
tbone1088
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by tbone1088 »

Other places on Rideau river to catch walleyes: long island locks in manotick, blacks rapids, brewer park, new Edinburgh park. Most luck I have had is at sundown,if ur lucky walleyes will roam in.