My monster Walleye this winter.

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Cain
Participant
Participant

My monster Walleye this winter.

Post by Cain »

Here's my only two catches this winter so far. I don't get out much, and I'm only just starting to learn to ice fish, so it's better than nothing. The second one I was in the middle of changing the propane tank on the heater and didn't have time to take my gloves off. Those tanks frost up pretty good in the winter. I'm hoping to have some more success in the coming weeks as I learn more of the river. I picked up a FishHunter as a cheap sonar and it works pretty good for the most part. At the very least I'm getting depth readings which is important.

Last edited by Cain on Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
riverdog
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: My monster Walleye this winter.

Post by riverdog »

Least your out doing it! Should be some bigger eyes around. I find if I keep my tank off the ice it doesn't frost up as much. As for sonar you just proved it doesn't have to be fancy to work or catch fish. Keep jigging!
Fishing the St.Lawrence 12 months a year!
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

riverdog wrote:Least your out doing it! Should be some bigger eyes around. I find if I keep my tank off the ice it doesn't frost up as much. As for sonar you just proved it doesn't have to be fancy to work or catch fish. Keep jigging!
For sure. I think it's sort of a good sign actually, with two different year classes there. I don't know how much moving around you are doing, but maybe try deeper if possible or maybe find some current to get better fishing. Are there any other folks fishing in certain areas of the river? There's usually a reason. ;)
A light styrofoam slab will work fine for your tank. Good luck with the rest of your season.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
Cain
Participant
Participant

Post by Cain »

I only went out a couple times last winter and didn't catch anything, so I'm definitely happy with my two catches this year. It wasn't until the summer that I rediscovered my love for fishing, and haven't really had a whole lot of success on the rideau, but being stuck to the shore is definitely hurting my chances. I found a decent place for some small pike and landed a couple largies, but that's about it. I bring my kids to the locks at and they crush pan fish like it's going out of style, but I haven't caught anything around there either.

As far as ice fishing goes, from what I hear from one the guys I talk to often, he's catching them frequently during the usual sunrise/sunset times. Now that I have the FishHunter and use Navionics, I can reduce the time it takes to find a decent drop off, but it still hasn't translated to a whole lot of success. I know the walleye move to the shallower water once the sun has gone down, which is why I would camp there. One fish was caught around 4:45pm and the other 5:15pm. Part of the problem could be my technique too as I've never really jigged before, so I'm just going by what I've read and videos that I've watched.
Last edited by Cain on Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:50 pm, edited 4 times in total.
riverdog
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by riverdog »

I prefer a little deeper for walleye but I tend to fish the St.Lawrence & BOQ for them...when the ice permits.
Fishing the St.Lawrence 12 months a year!
Netman
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Netman »

I'd check these spots out if ya can. Good luck