Ice Fishing 101

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
kliven
Participant
Participant

Ice Fishing 101

Post by kliven »

Hey everyone,

I'm a seasoned softwater angler, but I'm looking into getting into ice fishing this winter (I know, its a little late in the season :P). However I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing. I was wondering if anyone could help me answer some of my newbie questions?

Should I use a tip-up or a rod & reel?
Are hand-augers difficult to operate?
What depth should I be fishing at for walleye, perch, or crappie? What kind of bottom should I look for?
Is a sonar necessary? Is it possible to have a sonar that can be used for both soft and hard water? I was looking at the Helix 5 ICE, but I'm not sure if it can be used for softwater.
Where in Ottawa is good for ice fishing?
At what time during the day should I be fishing?

I'd appreciate if anyone has any answers!
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Ice Fishing 101

Post by scarkner »

Where are you located?

Your best bet is to tag along, Since you mention Ottawa you are absolutely welcome to come join me for a day or night of fishing!

That said:
Should I use a tip-up or a rod & reel?
- Both. Set a tip-up, and then use a rod & reel nearby actively jigging. Some days the jigging brings the fish, but they prefer the tip-up, other days they ignore the tip-up and take the rod. This also allows you to make two presentations suited perhaps to perch on the rod, but walleye or pike on the tip-up..

Are hand-augers difficult to operate?
- Depends on size and quality. I have a 4, 5 and 8 inch auger. The 4 inch is incredibly easy and you can drive it with any drill too. The 5 inch is also quite easy, a bit harder for an electric drill. For the 8 inch, an "offset handle" and sharp blades really helps, especially when you are breaking through at the bottom of the hole. In 12 inches of ice they are fine, but if you get into 24 inch ice (not this year!) they are a real slog. Also, be very wary of used augers. If they are dropped on their blades, it can change the angle, any difference between the two blades leads to sticking, jumping, binding, etc. Nasty to use.

What depth should I be fishing at for walleye, perch, or crappie? What kind of bottom should I look for?
Generally on or near the bottom. Most guys I think are 1 foot from bottom. Pike are often up higher. Fish-finder (flasher) helps. If you fish where there are others on the ice, ask around, people will often share their tips, tell you what's hitting what, and sometimes even hand you some bait!

Is a sonar necessary? Is it possible to have a sonar that can be used for both soft and hard water? I was looking at the Helix 5 ICE, but I'm not sure if it can be used for softwater.
Sonar helps a lot. I fished three years on ice without it, have seen an increase not only in amount of fish caught, but also the "fun" aspect. When the bit is slow, you have something to look at :-) . I just bought a Helix 5, awesome unit. Here is a video of my 10 year old son catching a Walleye/Sauger that would otherwise have been undetected...
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/653 ... alleye.mp4

Where in Ottawa is good for ice fishing?
Whew... lots of places. Shirleys Bay in the east and Pitre island in the west are popular because you can drive right onto the ice.

At what time during the day should I be fishing?
Pike and Perch - Anytime.
Walleye - Sunrise and Sunset
Ling (Burbot) - After dark until dawn
RyanW
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by RyanW »

----
Last edited by RyanW on Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
613 Ice Fishing
On Facebook
Peron
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Peron »

I just started up ice fishing after a 35 year break so I was basically I newbie given all the advances (I used to use mono wrapped around a piece of wood and the old tin spool tip ups).

I "really" like Rod and reel. For me a lot of fun is playing the fish as opposed to hand lining it but I guess it is a personal preference.

I love the fin-bore III hand augers with the offset handle especially since I hike out into the ice. I have a 6 and an 8 inch but I almost always use the 8 inch, even last year with the 24" plus ice I could get through although the 6" was a lot less of a workout.

If you know there are pike anywhere from 2 feet off the bottom to a couple of feet under the ice... You need to ask what is working in the area. Otherwise just off bottom for perch and walleye

Sonars are definitely not necessary but the certainly make the "slower" aspect of ice fishing more interesting. I bought a Helix ICE 5 thus year and it has helped me catch a few more fish but the "fun" aspect that scarkner mentions is key. Even when the bite is not there it is neat to watch the fish come off the bottom to check out your bait. Also you can give the bait a little wiggle that sometimes does the trick when an interested fish is around. I should point out that I only bought it because I can get a suction cup transducer for canoe/kayak fishing in the summer otherwise I might not have made the investment.

Didn't think I was going to like ice fishing when I took it up again but it is a LOT of fun.

Rod
kliven
Participant
Participant

Post by kliven »

Thank you for the replies! It's been amazingly helpful! (lovin the community at fish-hawk here)

Just bought myself a couple of ice rods and tip ups at Sail today...excited to get on the water and try them out. Skarner, I'll pm you!

For baits, what would you recommend? Would a summer 1/16th ounce jighead tipped with a minnow work? How about worms?
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Good stuff guys, hooking up with someone here for a fish will shorten the learning curve right quick.

Dress warm lately... :lol:

RJ