For you hight teck stuff. Cool new unit

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
joco01
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

For you hight teck stuff. Cool new unit

Post by joco01 »

RyanW
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: For you hight teck stuff. Cool new unit

Post by RyanW »

---
Last edited by RyanW on Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
613 Ice Fishing
On Facebook
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

There have been a couple posts about this unit (bluetooth enabled fish finder).

Ever notice how crappy your phone is in the cold? My Iphone 5S will shut down at about -2C unless I keep it warm on an inside pocket. Having it on the ice (near an open hole??) and handling it constantly with wet fishy hands? No thanks.

I am also skeptical about these companies being able to "keep up" with both old and new technology. For example, my wife bought me a GoPro Hero 3 for Christmas, only to find out that they don't support the version of Android that I run on my tablet. I wouldn't invest in expensive hardware that becomes wholly dependent on that company's ability to release a stream of appropriate software updates.

That said, they have done a great job on the design, look and feel. I think for summer fishing, either in a boat or even cast from shore this thing has merit. But it wouldn't be my prime go-to.

Just my two cents :-)
bl8ant
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bl8ant »

What a great product for the ice angler that wants to travel light. The biggest drawback performace wise between this and a purpose built fish finder in my eyes is the time delay. A byproduct of blue tooth vs. Wired connection.

i like many people who use their phone in the outdoors have a water resistant or even waterproof case so no worries there. To combat any issues with poor battery performance in cold weather I have found keeping the phone plugged in to any of the cheep I battery packs readily available for $15 to be the solution http://m.bestbuy.ca/?lang=en#/catalog/p ... lang=en-CA

Once the time delay is addressed I'd be interested
Yakster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Yakster »

Interesting, nice and compact but my fear has and always will be watching my phone go down the hole. I know that isn't happening with my current flasher.
Kind of like the T Box, great concept affordable ulternative but will not replace the real thing.
bl8ant
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bl8ant »

I use my phone all day in my small boat to plot GPS points and am never worried about dropping it overboard. Either way if it's a concern there are products to address that issue as well.

Peron
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Peron »

My cell phone is my favourite fishing tool. Lifeproof case (nuud) so you actually have the glass instead of a cover and the orange Lifeproof Lifejacket ( last photo). After every trip I rinse all the slime, mud,scales etc. Etc. Off in the sink....
Yakster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Yakster »

Not worried about my phone in the boat, just near the holes on the ice.
I have a Seideo case, excellent in water but she don't float.
Peron
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Peron »

If you canning use the Lifeproof Lifejacket there is the water-buoy device. Don't know how much it is. Water-buoy.com
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Basically the same thing as the SonarPhone from Vexilar.

https://shop.vexilar.com/en/sonarphone-1

The sonarphone pod is castable. I've used it while guiding Lakers when I want to keep on top of the baitfish that are moving around. Kinda handy but certainly will never replace a sonar unit on my boat.

RJ
RyanW
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by RyanW »

--
Last edited by RyanW on Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
613 Ice Fishing
On Facebook
Cain
Participant
Participant

Post by Cain »

I have a FishHunter and it works well enough for my purposes. I hook it up to my 10" tablet so the display is nice and big. it doesn't work in water less than six feet though. I don't have a boat so I can definitely see myself using it a lot during the summer as well since I can cast it out, though I must admit I'm worried about a pike taking shot at it..lol.

EDIT: changed minimum depth to six feet.
Last edited by Cain on Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
bl8ant
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bl8ant »

Choke wrote:IBobber. Same thing. Less than half the price of the deeper.
http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/ibobber-the ... 0189134895
Build to catch fishermen not fish.
iBobber is a single frequency design, the deeper model is dual frequency (15?, 55? cone angles).
iBobber has a range of 100 feet, the deeper has a range of 160 feet. Not sure about software.

Some comparison here http://www.bluetoothfishfinder.com/home
avidangler
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by avidangler »

I've had experience with deeper and it works fine in shallow water with no flashers around. However, it is useless at any sort of depth. If anyone is using a flasher in your vicinity the interference is just overwhelming. Good for panfish and shallow water applications. Don't expect to jig lakers with it though.
Money can't buy you happiness but it can buy you fishing gear and that's kinda the same thing.