Ottawa Boat & Sportsman Show 2016

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
OVSB
Participant
Participant

Ottawa Boat & Sportsman Show 2016

Post by OVSB »

With Snowmagedon 2016 behind us, what better way to look forward to Spring and the upcoming soft water season than to come down and feast your eyes on the gorgeous boats and all the latest awesome gear!

The Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters Club will have a booth set up for each of the days. If you've been thinking about trying out tournament-style fishing, this club is a fantastic way to do just that. it's a grassroots club with members of all skill levels. Many members stay on as part of the club, long after they've moved on to fish other series. Charles Sim is a great example of this! 8) The camaraderie at the meetings and events is a lot of fun too.

Please drop by and say hello and to talk all that is fishing. And we can provide answers to any questions you might have about how the club operates.

http://www.ottawaboatandsportshow.ca/
Ottawa Valley BassMaster.
Boater/co-angler pairing are different for each tournament, this format gives every member the opportunity to gain real on the water experience and decrease the overall learning curve in your pursuit to becoming a better angler.
NMG
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Ottawa Boat & Sportsman Show 2016

Post by NMG »

I checked out the show today and I have to say, there were allot of very nice boats to see. That said, is it just me or have the prices of new aluminum boats gone absolutely BONKERS??????

I have a 16 foot aluminum tiller with a 70 and saw the same model boat with a side console and a 75 for 10K more than what I paid. There were also many 18 footers pushing 50K and that wasn't even with maxed out power. Just seems crazy to me. Glad I'm not in the market now, LOL.
otownyaker
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by otownyaker »

The cad dollar is in the drink everything will be more expensive
OTownYaker
613 Ice Fishing team
O-Town Fishing Adventures
banjo
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by banjo »

For sure boat prices have skyrocketed. If the US dollar was the only reason, then Canadian made boats might still be cheaper. That's not really the case. They raised their prices to stay profitable while possibly selling fewer boats. And people are still willing to pay for them.
Since I am going through this myself... I wonder if some peoples insurance policies would need adjustment. If you owned a boat that 2 years ago was worth 15000$, but now its 25000$ to replace... Can you raise your insured value on your 2 year old boat?
otownyaker
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by otownyaker »

Was there today and I must say I was disappointed. Would be better off just calling it the boat show. Almost nothing on the "sportsman" side of it.
Best part was finding the fish-hawk booth and finaly getting a FH sticker.
OTownYaker
613 Ice Fishing team
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

otownyaker wrote:Was there today and I must say I was disappointed. Would be better off just calling it the boat show. Almost nothing on the "sportsman" side of it.
I agree .... I went once a long long time ago. Never again.
otownyaker wrote:Best part was finding the fish-hawk booth and finaly getting a FH sticker.
Was the sticker free?
BAA - 2016 Team 18 (10 shy of 28)
Renegade Bass - 2013 Team 67 - 2014 Team 28 - 2015 Team 51
BAA (Great organization) 2011 and 2012 Team 7
otownyaker
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by otownyaker »

Yes stickers where free. And no one was guarding the so I took 3 :o one for each side of the kayak and one for the back of the truck
OTownYaker
613 Ice Fishing team
WhitESOX
Participant
Participant

Post by WhitESOX »

otownyaker wrote:Was there today and I must say I was disappointed. Would be better off just calling it the boat show. Almost nothing on the "sportsman" side of it.
Best part was finding the fish-hawk booth and finaly getting a FH sticker.
Totally agree. That $15 entry fee should have earned a salesman kryptonite badge. Show it to the person approaching for an automatic FO. I feel a bit taken, paying to walk a dealership floor and be subjected to all those pitches.

Went this afternoon, too late i guess. No stickers left. At least we met proprietor RJ! :)
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by toobinator »

I think I still have stickers at Paddletales.
Save a bass. Eat a chicken
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Well,
I went for specific reasons. I walked around and was amazed at what a crappy dollar will do to the price of a boat. There were a few deals here and there but I ended up spending most of my time in the new Lund 1875 Pro V Bass XS that Pirate Cove had on the floor. I wasn't in the market for another Tin boat but after seeing this thing, it offers more flexibility for the family while still holding onto the bass boat layout. This will make an excellent boat that I truly believe doesn't really have any competition. If anything, it is closer to a multi species boat with raised casting decks.

I did stop by and talk to the guys at the OVSB booth and spoke to RJ at length.

Was it worth the money? Not really but I can tell you I had a great time regardless!
Oneeleven
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Oneeleven »

I agree with you guys. Anglers Village was really cut short this year. And dwindling. I, for one would love to try and boost it up again. I know we're no where near what the T.O boat show, and separate fishing show would ever be, but I'm sure we could do a lot more with making the show a little more 50/50, outdoors and boat sales.

And I feel sorry for the boat dealships. That dollar is just making it harsh these days! :?

Luckily my first boat purchase is just going to be a hunting canoe and trolling motor.. :D
Alby
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Alby »

I went to the Boat Show on thursday. Those that I spoke to (reps and salesman) admit the price increases are directly related to the value of our dollar against the american dollar. No shocking news there.

I'd be interested to know how sales went over the weekend, compared to previous years...

I didn't mind one bit spending the $15 dollars to see the boats, booths, and tour around and chat with folks.

It's pocket change, compared to what we pay for our gear and other "addiction expenses".

Bryan
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

lape0019 wrote:
Was it worth the money? Not really but I can tell you I had a great time regardless!
Ding Ding! THAT is the attitude to have.

I really enjoyed the show this year. Will the show ever have a huge tackle selection again? Doubtful. Continuously harping about it won't bring em back. :lol: Talked to Ed from Paddletales this aft and he had a great weekend at the store so there's room for everything. The show was swamped on Saturday and despite the dollar I met plenty of new Lund owners this weekend.

From a business perspective for our guiding business we had a GREAT show. Made great contacts that have some cool opportunities coming our way.

It was great to meet lots of Hawk Talk folk!

RJ
otownyaker
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by otownyaker »

The Lunds where on fire. If worked with the Lund guy working show. Was going to stop and say hi to him but over the 2hrs we where there he always had a customer to please.
OTownYaker
613 Ice Fishing team