Fish not on regulations

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
otownyaker
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Fish not on regulations

Post by otownyaker »

Im curious seeing I can't find any info any where on it.
What the rule are for fish not on the regs for a regon.

Let's take zone 12 the ottawa River. And use say drum as an example.
In the regs for zone 12 there is no mention of drum. So what dose that mean if I catch them..
I have no interest in eating drum but let's say I did. So what do you do? How many am I allowed to keep. Are they open all season? Etc
I realize they can't possibly put every single fish species on the regs. But figured they would at least tell you what to do with the ones not listed
OTownYaker
613 Ice Fishing team
O-Town Fishing Adventures
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Fish not on regulations

Post by scarkner »

Actually, these species would be considered non-sport-fish. The only thing you need to be careful of is that they are not endangered (for example, there is no listing for American eels because the season is never ever open).

For SEASONS
They are mentioned in the catch-all on Page 8 under the definition for Open Seasons:
"Unless stated otherwise, species that are not listed (such as sucker and Rock Bass) have a year-round open season."

For LIMITS
I have always assumed there are no limits on these fish. For example Burbot/Ling and Freshwater Drum (as in your example).

Drum are actually not too bad, but you have to clean them immediately after they die and refrigerate the meat quickly. It is a very large flake and firm fish. I don't think I would eat it again and the "pearls" in their head are not worth digging for :-)
otownyaker
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by otownyaker »

Makes sence.
But if u ask me fish like drum mooneye goldeye burbot should be a sport fish lol some of the best fight come from them.
Cats are still my fave fight from an "easy" to catch fish drum and moons right behind.
Guess them not haveing a limit make sence as to why they are not on the regs with just open all season
OTownYaker
613 Ice Fishing team
O-Town Fishing Adventures
JZ
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by JZ »

otownyaker wrote:Makes sence.

Guess them not haveing a limit make sence as to why they are not on the regs with just open all season
I think it is just to keep the regs at a manageable length, I think there are something like 150 species of fish in On so they just identify the major ones.
Last edited by JZ on Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

otownyaker wrote:Makes sence.
But if u ask me fish like drum mooneye goldeye burbot should be a sport fish lol some of the best fight come from them.
Cats are still my fave fight from an "easy" to catch fish drum and moons right behind.
Just to be clear channel catfish have a limit in most zones.
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

An interesting link for Ontario Species at risk is:

https://www.ontario.ca/environment-and- ... nd+Mussels

they tend to protect these fish by creating sanctuaries either seasonal or permanent.

I think only endangered species are protected by law (like the american eel).