Line spins when spool dont

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Did you use mono backing at the start of the spool?...if not..that's the culprit!

RJ
pikeie
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by pikeie »

i'd have to agree with RJ on this one
Jigs
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

line snarls

Post by Jigs »

AL R:

Mono backing is the key as noted above. Also, if you can start at a place in your back yard, in a park, whatever, and unspool the line as you walk; making sure there are no knots.

Then, put a finger grip on the line,(no lure), and reel it in. This will get rid of curlies. Or troll the line (no lure) out behind a boat and do the reel in thing............watch out for the prop.

Having your drag set a bit tighter, so the drag is not clicking when your reeling helps a lot..........;fish pulls, don't reel.etc.

Hope this helps............I still get curlies., everyone does. Just helps to know how to correct it.

Regards: Jigs :wink:
plowjock
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Problem solving

Post by plowjock »

Use a little bit of mono filament for a backing maybe 10 feet is all you need. To prevent these little curlies in the line let it out on the water with no lure on and just troll behind boat for a few minutes. The water will get rid of all the twists which you have accumulated. One day of walleye fishing with a jig and minnow can sure wreak havoc with your line as far as twists go. Tie on a small swivel and then tie on a short mono leader and then your Hook, lure or whatever you are using for terminal tackle. This will save you the headache of having a birdsnest come out on your spinning reel and save you some donaros not having to keep buying new line.
DonD
Participant
Participant

Post by DonD »

Peel the line off the reel down to just a couple of strands, add a drop of crazy glue, and let sit for a few minutes, re-wind your line, and presto, no line spin on your reel
The crazy glue easily chips off if you decide you want to change the entire line.
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

Peel the line off, make a tire swing or something for the neighbors kid and spool up with some mono. Hope this helps.
banjo
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by banjo »

I just put a piece of electrical tape around the spool before I start winding on the line. Works for me.