A valuable lesson...

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Kerrazy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

A valuable lesson...

Post by Kerrazy »

Just recently someone gave me a gift card for Walmart.

Now, I am not a Walmart customer, as I don't agree with their employment tactics and bullying or their Chinese product flooding the market place. Yet, I am not a fool and I appreciate the effort someone took time to and consideration to give it to me.

So yesterday, I stopped in with my kids, and thought maybe I could find a lure or tacklebox to purchase.

And than it happened.

Something that frankly embarrassed me and made me realize, I had been sending the wrong message to my son.

He said, something to the effect that real fishing stuff can't be bought at Walmart. That it is basically second rate items.

Now, I suspect many people/parents may concur with his logic, yet what caught me was it was faulty logic, that spoke of a spoiled child.

And here's why:

Do they carry G. Loomis, or St. Croix, no. Their most expensive lure was only $18.00.

Foolishly, my son got caught up in the hype, of the G. Loomis crowd, owning it for the name, not because it really is different.

He forgot, not so long ago, his dad 3 seasons ago, was fishing with a 20 year old Rod and frankly didn't know the difference. That 20 year old Rod landed me my personal best pike and set the hook so to speak.

Walmart does not sell high end gear, yet, they sell gear moms and dads can afford to outfit their families with and get them fishing.

The fact that many folks can enjoy a sport on a budget they can afford, and share in a common passion means more to me, than wearing a G Loomis hat or shirt.

I was disappointed in my sons comment, and I hope he realizes the what makes a real Angler is his dedication and passion for fishing, and ensuring it will be there for generations, not by what he wears on his back, holds in his hands or shows off with.

Cheers
Kerrazy

"Everyone should believe in something. I believe I'll Go Fishing!"- Thoreau
I'd like to thank my sponsors:
Interac - Be in the Black
Jerry, my neighbour, who foolishly leaves his shed and truck open, so I can try all the latest gear!
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Re: A valuable lesson...

Post by Jimmy_1 »

You been hanging out with Terrie while I am at work? Sounds like something she would say! :lol:

Seriously though Dale. Kuddos to you! That's great parenting right there!

Sooooo what did you end up getting?
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Also

Do you want that rainbow trout mount?
Cyber
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Cyber »

So I guess that means you'll need to get rid of that
G. Loomis stuff at bargain-basement prices??!?? :shock: :shock: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
If you don't stand for something,
you'll fall for anything!!
Kerrazy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Kerrazy »

Jimmy,
I think so on the mount. I got side tracked this week.
Thanks for the offer BTW!
Kerrazy

Jerry, my neighbour, who foolishly leaves his shed and truck open, so I can try all the latest gear!
Kerrazy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Kerrazy »

Cyber wrote:So I guess that means you'll need to get rid of that
G. Loomis stuff at bargain-basement prices??!?? :shock: :shock: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
That's a great idea, lead by example I always say!

So, will have the lad contact you Cyber, and you guys can sort out a reasonable price for his Rod. It will be like taking candy from a baby!

Now, there may be a catch, when you come to pick it up.

Just ask for Farley. Lol
Farley
Farley
image.jpeg (591.01 KiB) Viewed 4881 times
Kerrazy

CNs
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by CNs »

Well said.

Something we should all consider. Does the name on the rod/reel/lure mean more than anything else? Some of my best equipment is end of line - clearance stuff - mid-range stuff. I guess we all get hung up on the hype instead of the function..
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

I see it as an opportunity to explain to the lad, that you’re fortunate enough to be able to purchase higher end gear.
Being humble is most likely the lesson to be learned, and not so much branding.
IMO, typically, high end equipment usually equates to better components.

Your son already shares your passion, explaining to him why certain brand names are more expensive could be of benefit, and further flourish your affinities in regards to fishing.

You’ve already given in to the dark side, don’t fight it, embrace it.
If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

I generally agree with your sentiment on Walmart... It is my retailer of last resort but I don go there on occasion. What I can get elsewhere I usually do.

I often find myself going there for birthday gifts in advance of a party the kids have.... We always make a trip down the fishing isle.

Granted they do not have much I want and for things I want there prices are high but they do occasionally have specials. I have bought rods, reels, and line there at a good price on occasion. For some reasons they seem to have one of the best prices in town for thill lighted floats.

That being said I am big fan of "economy fishing" (my wife would laugh at that). Though high end equipment is well engineered and a pleasure to use. There is not much that you can't do well without an economy equipment.
Kerrazy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Kerrazy »

Mav,
That's exactly it. Humbleness sure does go a long way.

He is a good guy, always polite and respectful, so it just surprised me when he stated it. It seemed to me, I maybe was making to big of a deal over our new gear, and this summer, I will take time to show him what the differences are.

I do know though, that many of you folks could out fish me with a $40 combo. And, I appreciate all of the knowledge shared with with all on this forum.

My profile says May 2013 as my join date, and it was that time that all this addiction started. In that short amount of time, I have amassed a pile of gear, a tonne of knowledge and some great friends, with a common addiction!
Kerrazy

Eli
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Eli »

Ask yourself if you're one the people of walmart. http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Dale,

I wouldn't be too concerned. There is a place and time for all gear and we all start somewhere. My combo at the cottage for the longest time was a $10.00 zebco horizon combo I bought from Canadian Tire on sale (Great combo for the price). The reel lasted a season but the rod is still at the cottage.

And Wal-Mart does sell some good lures. Its the rods and reels that just aren't what you would find at a specialty store. They serve their purpose and I think of them as a gateway drug. You get hooked and want better quality stuff.

Now, here is the kicker. Those loomis rods you use and the Dobyns rods I use? They aren't "High End" this is actually mid pack bass gear... Use this info to your advantage. It's nice to be able to use this gear but it doesn't mean it is the best stuff out there.

You want to drool and make him drool as well? Take a look at say a Megabass Monoblock Bespoke or a Lin10 MARS. And couple that with a Megabass ARMS Challenge rod... (FYI, if I ever bought one of any of these, it would probably sit on a shelf in a display!).

I write this to point out that fishing is like everything else. There are varying degrees of quality that will all get the job done but some will either help you more or do it better than others. No different than driving a Cavalier or a CTSV.
Netman
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Netman »

Eli wrote:Ask yourself if you're one the people of walmart. http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/
:lol: I'm one of the people of Walmart and I'm not ashamed of it. I shop at Crappy tire too. Personally I don't want high end gear cause I'm too rough on it :lol: .

As for thinking it's some how your fault Kerrazy is just...well... Kerrazy. Almost everything that's made these days has low, mid- range and high price points. We start learning that early in life.