The No-Ice Ice Fishing Trip

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

The No-Ice Ice Fishing Trip

Post by scarkner »

After spending last weekend on the ice in Montreal, I figured that if there was enough ice on the St. lawrence that our little group could catch a Sturgeon last week, then surely there would be enough ice on my tiny cottage lake this weekend that I could go ice fishing with "The Boy" (10 yrs old).

Sadly, there was about 6 feet of open water between the shore and the ice, so ice fishing was out. I briefly considered trying to fish in the narrow gap of open water... but that wasn't going to work.

Thankfully the boy was a bit smarter than his dad and said "Grandma and Grandpa live in Kingston, I bet the water is open there!".

So we headed to Kingston to spend the night, and did some fishing in a with my dad in the shallow bay he lives on. Hard to believe that it was completely open. Even more surprising was when we found the Bowfin are already running!!!

Best hit of the night, at around 11pm, was when this PAIR of Bowfin hit my rig at the same time (pickerel rigs). It's a male and female (male has the spot and is about 24 inches, female is about 27 inches). I wasn't sure what the heck I had on my line with these TWO fish fighting me at the same time!!!

Here is a picture of the Sturgeon from Montreal. We were fishing a bunch of tip-ups (you are allowed 10 per person in Montreal!!!!), so I wasn't the guy that actually hauled this little baby through the ice, but was happy to be part of the team :-) I am calling this my first team-effort sturgeon!

Netman
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: The No-Ice Ice Fishing Trip

Post by Netman »

Nice sack of fish. Those dogfish put up quite the tussle. 2 of them must have been a hoot
Eli
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Eli »

Gotta love the prehistoric fish.
Thinking of heading to Kingston area tomorrow myself....
Peron
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Peron »

Nice fish(es)!!! I think we are all shorebound for now since I am pretty sure most shorelines will be suspect even with solid ice 20 feet out. You picked a nice alternate!
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Love the exotics!

Cool Stuff.

RJ