Canoes, Motors and Fishing enjoyment.

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Peron
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Canoes, Motors and Fishing enjoyment.

Post by Peron »

Yes, this should probably go in another forum but this one is an active one, so I thought I would post here first. My back precludes long sessions in my kayak now and I have many reasons why I don't want to get a "real" boat. I would however, like a longer range (and time) on the water. I have looked at what I think will work for me (and my boy who now has the bug and will join me on the water) and I will likely be getting a wide transom canoe and a power conserving trolling motor. Almost a done deal... roof rack installed, straps to be purchased this week but any last minute words of wisdom ?

My narrowed down target is a 12' (maybe 14') wide transom Sportspal with the 36" Endura Max 50 or 55 Minn-Kota.

Any issues with the above? It might help me catch a Crappie this spring. I am a crappy, Crappie fisherman! :lol:

Rod
Maple
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Canoes, Motors and Fishing enjoyment.

Post by Maple »

Sounds like a winning combination. Whatever works for your needs is the best choice.

My only issue with the Sportspal is you have to basically sit on the bottom on foam seats. If that's OK, Great. An awful lot of fish have been caught from those boats over the years. Enjoy.
Peron
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Peron »

The new ones have web seats just below the gunwale height. In most of the photos, people have their knees at just below a 90 degree angle which is one of the reasons I picked it. The wide transom looks like it should give the stability at height. They even show standing fisherman in calm water even though I wouldn't.
joco01
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by joco01 »

Having them yak and canoes

I still think canoe is more versatile

More space,,for stuff,,,food,,camping equipement. Bring kids,,,friends...a dog and so on.

There many used o es on kijiji or used ottawa or craiglist,,,just take your time.

Not all canoe are yhe same. Those not have to be a square back, to put a motor on, but usely there more stabile.

Cant wait to see your report

Joco
Oneeleven
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Oneeleven »

joco01 wrote: Not all canoe are yhe same. Those not have to be a square back, to put a motor on, but usely there more stabile.

Joco

Can you please clarify; the square backs are less stable you say, or more so?

Thanks,
Tia
Peron
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Peron »

Oneeleven wrote: Can you please clarify; the square backs are less stable you say, or more so?

Thanks,
Tia
From what I have read (and experienced as well) from a fishing perspective Square backs are more stable than a normal canoe and a wide transom is even more stable and has a very flat wide bottom. This is especially true when you have the motor running (electric) since the force is centered to the rear and means the canoe is tracking straight ahead. The force is offset when you mount an electric on the side of a pointed canoe even when close to the rear. Turns introduce even more instability when turning in the direction the same side the motor is mounted on (pushes that side down towards the water). This is minimized with a rear mounted motor (square or wide transom).

Rod
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Rod I bought a 12' wide stern Sportspal a few years back.That 30' transom is more stable for sure even over the 15" square stern. Prices have gone up over a couple of hundred since then I see. Best price I got was from Ottawa Valley Canoe and Kayak.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
donw
Participant
Participant

Post by donw »

Longtime canoe angler here, still using a massive old Coleman 16 I bought many years ago from my uncle (lord love the man!).
Stability, ie. a slightly larger canoe or one with a wider base, can also be a big factor depending on the water you will be fishing. On a very busy river like the Rideau, for example, you get a ton of boat traffic especially on weekends and holidays and some of those wakes can be quite large.
My kids are in their 20s now, so this is less of a factor, but I can tell you that even in the big old Coleman there were times we almost got swamped by inconsiderate (ignorant?) power boaters who refused to slow down even a bit to reduce their wakes as they passed by. It was at times a scary experience for the boys, and I am thankful for the wider beam.
If your son is younger, that might be something else to consider.
The downside is a larger, wider or heavier canoe will take more power to propel through the water, thus cutting into battery life.
If you will be using the boat only on smaller, less busy waterways then the extra stability would be much less of a consideration.
Cheers and good luck!
DW
Don W
Fishing is fun ... catching something is a bonus
Kerrazy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Kerrazy »

I am a canoeing angler, and I currently use a traditional 15' FG canoe that is celebrating 20 years this spring.

While I fish with my kids, 7 & 9 I do appreciate my uncle's square Stern 17' roto moulded canoe. A 36" beam makes for standing and sight fishing a breeze.

He last year put a 36lb thrust TM on it, and while I was very excited to give it a go, I was sorely disappointed.

It was to fast! Way to fast, I could not troll effectively with it. Yes it was great for point A to B travel, yet, I am a die hard, and would rather troll to my destination, than just going directly there.

So, before you bite the bullet, make sure
You match up the pieces to get the right fit.
Cheers and good luck!
Kerrazy

"Everyone should believe in something. I believe I'll Go Fishing!"- Thoreau
I'd like to thank my sponsors:
Interac - Be in the Black
Jerry, my neighbour, who foolishly leaves his shed and truck open, so I can try all the latest gear!
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

I agree with kerazzy, if you plan to do any trolling the motor is pretty big. I have a 55lb on my 16 foot aluminum, on the 2 seeing is it good for trolling. I tried it on my Coleman 16 canoe and found even on the 1 speed it was way too fast. But wow did it push the canoe fast when set on hi!
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

If you want to try something smaller, i have a minn kota, i think a 35 that you are welcome to borrow.
joco01
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by joco01 »

Square back are more stabile yes.

But personaly still like more a reg canoe,

Theres huge defernce in canoe stability, Some you can walk inside. Some have to sit in the bottom lol.

Some have a great initial stability but not great second,,,

Its all depend,,,,,the need and what you want to do with it.

Love my exolorer mad river 16 footer, Can stand and pole,,or be two and a dog and enjoy a nice paddling. Or fly fishing or some down rapids,,,

Joco,,cant wait to start to paddle

Joco
joco01
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by joco01 »

Esquif make some very cool square back canoe,,,,you can get them at sail. I love them,strong,,but heavyer.

I am sure you can get one used,,,,,,

Wont say more. You got a pm

Joco
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Great info here. Thanks for those who are helping out!

RJ
Peron
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Peron »

Agree with RJ! Great info and thanks for all the input folks! For me weight will be an issue as well as stability so given my multi-purpose plans i think i am still looking at a wide transom aluminum (probably sportspal/radisson). Length is still being wrestled with but i may go short (12') for weight since it will be just me a fair amount.

Now I am worried about the motor. I may take you up on the loaner 35 to test Steve! I know my boy would love the 55 but trolling is important, especially when i am on my own. Decisions, decisions.

Thanks again for all the input!

Neat to see all the canoe anglers popping up since kayaks are the popular thing right now!

Rod