Spring Catfish

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
ipjrobson
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Spring Catfish

Post by ipjrobson »

Netman wrote:
ipjrobson wrote:Also, try dead baits or minnows.
I use chicken or beef liver. I always had a hard time keeping it on the hook so last year I started making up liver bags :lol: kinda like a roe bag for trout or salmon. I was using square pieces cut from pantyhose and tied them up. Worked really well
Oh I never thought about trying to hook it up like that . That would be very interesting.
Netman
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Netman »

ipjrobson wrote:Oh I never thought about trying to hook it up like that . That would be very interesting.
We were catching multiple fish before having to change them
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

Netman wrote:
ipjrobson wrote:Oh I never thought about trying to hook it up like that . That would be very interesting.
We were catching multiple fish before having to change them
That's funny, I was going to try the exact same thing! I bought a "delicates" laundry bag from the dollar store that i was going to make into little pouches. Figured I could pack them with livers and then freeze them ON THE HOOK for really easy "grab-n-go" use.

Do you put the hook through the bag, or set it up more like a carp rig with the hook just barely through the surface of the bag (so the fish takes the bag into it's mouth, without feeling the hook)?

I catch tons of catfish on worms and dead minnows, but am always looking for something easier.
Netman
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Netman »

scarkner wrote:Do you put the hook through the bag, or set it up more like a carp rig with the hook just barely through the surface of the bag (so the fish takes the bag into it's mouth, without feeling the hook)?
I hook em right under the knot. Cats aren't as shy as carp. Preparing and freezing them would work alright. I prefer fresh or let it bake in the sun for the day :lol: stinkier the better
CyrusG
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by CyrusG »

Liver sacks are great! If there's lots of 1-2 pound cats around worms can be the best bait to use some days but the bigger ones tend to go for cut bait, shrimp, and liver more often. I'll put you on some spots this year!
Cy
ipjrobson
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by ipjrobson »

CyrusG wrote:Liver sacks are great! If there's lots of 1-2 pound cats around worms can be the best bait to use some days but the bigger ones tend to go for cut bait, shrimp, and liver more often. I'll put you on some spots this year!
Cool man.
joco01
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by joco01 »

I did good on shrimps. Or shuncks of sardines. Baught frozen fish store.
Some use hotdogs sausage

Cats are not picky

Not sure why not more people fish fir them,,,,,,,,,,,,there very good eathing, Love catfish fish soup. Showder, Onions,,potato cats etc mmmmmm. Not to big,,there to fat.

Cats are fun and there plenty, Wen the tome come...its trully fun

Joco
ipjrobson
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by ipjrobson »

That's why I figured I would try to target them a bit to see how well it works out. Based on all the suggestions it shouldn't be too bad just need the weather to cooperate
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

Bar soap. Ivory or the Sunlight. A mop will also work.

For once, I am not kidding.
ipjrobson
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by ipjrobson »

bar soap. That's one I've never heard of lol

whatever works I guess
FLOATFISHIN
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by FLOATFISHIN »

I cannot agree more with the liver comment! If you want to tie the bag around them, you can also go to "Fabric Land" and get scarff material. I use it to tie roe bags myself. I find the bags work well with the chicken liver, for it is way softer than the beef liver. Another trick is if you don't want to let the meat rot outside, 2 things work quite well and ready's the baits with stink right away. A simple margarine container (Any tupper ware) put the liver in, if not tied, cut into chunks to fit a jig head or hook, I use toonie sized pieces or bigger. Take 2 or 3 solid table spoons of minced garlic (The stuff in the jar like 3$ at the store) liver and garlic together put on the lid and shake it for a minute or 2 and voila! Another house hold trick is Vanilla Extract. Same idea, douse the liver shake it up, and for the price of 2 dozen worms, your liver and garlic, or vanilla extract, will last 10 times longer in the water, on your hook, and keep peckish pan fish away from a worm"s" on bottom.

Hope this helps too.

F.F
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

You can incorporate a lot of the suggestions you find here and suspend it in soap.

Ragehunter
Participant
Participant

Post by Ragehunter »

Fishoholic wrote:If you're not set on the Rideau the rock point at Britannia in the spring is good for cats. Hook worm and sinker and you are set. I find it's hard to keep the cats off most times shore fishing the Ottawa with a worm and sinker, they are everywhere.
Hi folks,
You are talking around the Brittania Yacht Club, correct?

I've also had good luck for cats where the Madawaska runs out in to the Ottawa River in Arnprior, fishing from shore, just before and at dark. I've also picked up some nice pickerel there as well. I normally fish up about 200 yards below the "waterfall".
I'll never apologize for being a hunter (or a fisherman)!
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Ragehunter wrote:
Fishoholic wrote:If you're not set on the Rideau the rock point at Britannia in the spring is good for cats. Hook worm and sinker and you are set. I find it's hard to keep the cats off most times shore fishing the Ottawa with a worm and sinker, they are everywhere.
Hi folks,

I've also had good luck for cats where the Madawaska runs out in to the Ottawa River in Arnprior, fishing from shore, just before and at dark. I've also picked up some nice pickerel there as well. I normally fish up about 200 yards below the "waterfall".
They're probably talking about the Nepean Sailing Club.

Careful fishing around the mouth of the Mad on the Ottawa for Cats, I know at one point it was a sanctuary til Walleye opened.

RJ
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

Ragehunter wrote:
Hi folks,

:) I know the spot I caught my biggest cat there. Though I have lost too much tackle down there. I fish off the embankment now and use very little weight.