Crystal Beach Boat Launch

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Crystal Beach Boat Launch

Post by scarkner »

Some of you may have seen my thread about lowering my boat trailer. So I am HOPING to launch my boat (16' aluminum console boat) at Shirley's Bay tomorrow morning (Sunday).

My backup plan was to launch at the Nepean Sailing Club - BUT that ain't happening! Checkout the photo I took this afternoon - the docks and ramp are still iced in solid!!!!

Looking online, seems my only other option if I want to launch locally is Crystal Beach or Rowatt Street launchs (shown on http://www.boatlaunches.ca/ottawa-river-ramps). But I have zero experience on either of those launches.

Has anyone used those launches? Are they open, capable of launching a boat on a trailer and have a place to park?

Just trying to formulate a backup plan...

Cyber
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Crystal Beach Boat Launch

Post by Cyber »

Those are both REALLY shallow, more for canoes/kayaks or maybe a car topper. :shock:

Unless you're looking for something 'free', check out Port of Call Marina at the
end of Vance's Side Road near Dunrobin. But the fact that it has a 'sheltered' area
like Dick Bell Park, it may still be frozen in as well. :(
If you don't stand for something,
you'll fall for anything!!
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

If you're really that gung ho to get out you could always take a tour to Reeve Craig and launch on the Rideau. No ice there for sure.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
Muskie23
Participant
Participant

Post by Muskie23 »

You might be able to get out from Shirley's Bay with 12-14' boat, if you had a roller trailer, don't mind some scratches on the boat, and put the truck right in over exhaust.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

smitty55 wrote:If you're really that gung ho to get out you could always take a tour to Reeve Craig and launch on the Rideau. No ice there for sure.

Cheers
Be careful and know where you are going if you head to the river. It's verrrry low.

RJ
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

Boat launched no problem!!! Yay!

In fact, it launched so easily that when I first stopped the truck in the water to check, the boat started to float away (it was still tied to the trailer by a long rope, but a little scary to see it just start heading out into the bay without me).

Sadly the fishing didn't cooperate as much as the boat launching. Saw two other motor boats and a zillion canoes on the water today.
Cyber
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Cyber »

scarkner wrote:Boat launched no problem!!! Yay!

In fact, it launched so easily that when I first stopped the truck in the water to check, the boat started to float away (it was still tied to the trailer by a long rope, but a little scary to see it just start heading out into the bay without me).

Sadly the fishing didn't cooperate as much as the boat launching. Saw two other motor boats and a zillion canoes on the water today.
Glad you made it out! :D Where did you end up launching?? :?
If you don't stand for something,
you'll fall for anything!!
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

At Shirley's!